The chariot archer problem

if u read the thread - it seems to work like exactly that - no mod needed ...
Yes, so I noticed, but there also seemed to be reports against it. I would very much like someone to playtest this to confirm if this was actually some sort of hidden patch feature.

I'll test it out today. I did have a game recently where I know for a fact the icon stays the same (ranged promotion icon on the knight) but I didn't actually check the combat. Could just be a visual thing.

As for chariots, I think they are great. Unless you are rushing Xbows, there is a gap between CB's and Xbows, in which case they are essentially CB's with much more movement. My main problem with them and why I don't use them as much is 1.) promotions (although will check to confirm) and 2.) while it is never going to cripple you if you have too many CB's/Xbows, having a lot of knights sitting around isn't all that effective. i.e., the role change upon upgrade.

If I do try and use them, I will mix, like I did in the recent India games I've played. A few elephants, a few CB's.

I've never built a regular chariot archer.

I've played once as Egypt and was under-whelmed with their UU. It was Ok but I'd rather just use CB and then XB.

It's a pretty good UU. Gives you the freedom to explore other areas of the tech tree rather than having to beeline Construction or die to a rush.

Firstly I'm an immortal player that likes to roleplay and I, depending on the terrain and civ (Egypt) I play (on), I at least buy/build at least 2 chariot archers. I try to beeline their promotions when they can survive combat to two attacks. Who doesn't like to have 2-5 fast archers that no one can see and can fire 4-10 arrows and then retreat? And since Egypt mostly spawns on flat desert, they are kingly. They are papercanons and usually are killed of by airplanes. Don't forget that Egyptian warchariots are as and more powerful than than composit bowmen and faster,freeing up time to focus on feks science.

Don't forget that Egyptian warchariots are as and more powerful than than composit bowmen and faster,freeing up time to focus on feks science.

They are faster but unless I'm missing something I thought CB were stronger? Off the top of my head #:

[B]CB: [/B]

Str - 7
Ranged - 11

War Chariot:

Str - 6
Ranged - 10

They are faster but unless I'm missing something I thought CB were stronger? Off the top of my head #:

CB:

Str - 7
Ranged - 11

War Chariot:

Str - 6
Ranged - 10

You are correct. But the faster movement (5 MP vs 2 MP) means a War Chariot should be able to attack units a CB could not attack and to avoid attacks a CB could not avoid.

Confirmation - the upgrade remains the same but the bonus transfers:

Spoiler :

But what about on defense? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but range units don't get their defense boosted by these promotions. Which leads me to believe that is still the case when the unit becomes melee

But what about on defense? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but range units don't get their defense boosted by these promotions. Which leads me to believe that is still the case when the unit becomes melee

I thought knights never got a defensive bonus?

Bah, Charlie beat me to it. Got distracted by teching to da spaceshipz

For your viewing pleasure anyway:

View attachment 348574

Ya know, I've ended up doing that to enemy capitals a few times now, and I'm pretty sure every single time it has been Genghis Khan. Not on purpose, I don't think, just always ends up that way for whatever reason. He was nice enough to sack 4 city-states to let me puppet them without getting the diplo hit. Such a swell guy.

Top Bottom