The circumnavigation achievement

FenrysWulf

Evil Norse Wolf
I've been trying to accomplish the achievements through Steam, and I've found that the one about circumnavigating the globe just refuses to trigger even though I've circumnavigated the globe numerous times in multiple games. Has anyone gotten this to work? Is there a secret to it?

I don't know about achievements, but in Civ4, you got a reward when you were the first civ in a game to have uncovered at least one tile in every column of the map (this was then called "circumnavigation" although you could achieve it through map trades as well). Perhaps you need to be the game's first civ to do so in Civ5 as well?

Did you circumnavigate an Earth map?

I don't have it either, but that was my guess. Next game on an earth map, I guess.

Apparently there was a bonus you would get when you circumnavigate the map, but for some reason they disabled that bonus. The achievement works off of that. So all you have to do is re-enable the circumnavigate bonus and you will be able to get the achievement.

To do that open up the GlobalDefines XML file in notepad. You can find it in ...steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization v/assets/gameplay/XML. Once you have it open scroll down or ctrl+f to find the row "CIRCUMNAVIGATE_FREE_MOVES" and change the value to 1. Then save and close.

Now once you sail around the world you should get a bonus to naval movement and also your achievement. Other people have said (I read this in a thread somewhere) that they were able to open up a save where they had previously gone around the world and just move their ships around a bit and they would get the achievement.

Oh, and of course, it's wise to back up any files you modify. I just checked and mine is set back to 0, the patches might have had something to do with it, because I didn't change it back.

From the steam forums

From the Hidden Achievements Thread:

While Magellan is not hidden, it is easily fixed. To get this achievement, do the following:
Go into your Steam folder. From there, follow this path:
SteamApps -> common -> sid meier's civilization 5 -> Assets -> Gameplay -> XML

Open up the GlobalDefines.xml with Notepad.

Find the line:
CIRCUMNAVIGATE_FREE_MOVES

You will find "<value>0</value>" there. Set it to 1.

Then, be the first to circumnavigate a map. As soon as you did this, the Magellan achievement will be unlocked.

I recommend you switching the value back to 0 once you unlocked it, as it is altering the gameplay. Originally, circumventing the world as first would give all of your ships a +1 movement bonus. I suppose Firaxis thought that would be problematic, so they removed it. Since the achievement is tied to this bonus, you can see why it won't work.

Seriously? You have to edit the game files to get one of the achievements. *facepalm*

Way to be, Firaxis. Way to be.

Seriously? You have to edit the game files to get one of the achievements. *facepalm*

Way to be, Firaxis. Way to be.

It's the new "streamlined and organic" achievement model. What's not to love! :lol:

Thanks, it looks like I need to alter the XML. Luckily I know how to do that and I like the bonus anyway, so I'll try it.

This worked. The xml switch to 1 worked for achievement. I didn't notice anything in game though.

Top Bottom