1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The demo is a waste of time

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by hardcore_gamer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Xink

Xink King

...ok thanks for that. I was hoping that it would "count" towards downloading the full game once I have played the demo and found that it will run ok on my system.

2. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

Does anyone know how to extend the # of turns in the demo from 100 to like 200?

3. Viatrix

Viatrix Chieftain

In demo you can only buy tiles one by one (purchase tiles -> select tile, purchase tiles -> select tile etc.). It is rather clumsy, why can't you just press "purchase tiles" once and then buy all the tiles you want? Is this so in the actual game?

4. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

So, my demo crashes when I'm still in main menu lol...

5. Rexflex

Rexflex Prince

Demo was alright. I didn't expect that you could do that much with a free sample actually. Yes the file was a big download, but that's what I have high speed broadband for.

Computer performance: the demo removed all fears of under performance with my computer. I did have an older card that the 2k thread indicated would barely handle minimum spec , so the other day I replaced it with a new but cheap ATI 5670, on my Core 2 quad machine. The demo ran without complaint on its default graphic settings, so I ramped all the graphics settings to max and restarted. Once again no problem or noticeable glitches for the entire 100 turns. Turn wait times weren't bad at all.

Game play: Didn't change the settler setting as I wanted to see what the game was like before going for something more challenging.

I found myself automatically taking a more exploratory and diplomatic approach, not worrying too much about defending borders. I was surprised that some city states I bribed favor didn't take too long to go neutral on me again - I expected the same rate of change in attitude amongst them all.

Lizzy was quick to taunt on both loads. On my second game load I had allied with a city state after taking out a neighboring barb camp that they were scared of. This was a city that Lizzy was getting friendly with, and she rudely suggested I back off on the smooching. So I declared war on her and took out the only unit of hers that I could see. Her city fired on me, but I backed off to heal, and when I went back in she quickly offered a cease fire, giving me both a down payment and per turn gold. I tried pushing for her horses as well, but she wouldn't be pushed any further. I took the settlement because it was getting close to the 100 turns anyway. I hope she is a fair bit tougher to take on higher difficulty settings.

City states are pretty hard to attack. I didn't build up enough forces to take one out in the 100 turns despite the difficulty level.

Now the downside - I have to wait at least a few more days before the full game arrives. :cry:

6. dannythefool

dannythefool King

I enjoyed my three demo games so far (game is preordered since half a year ago, but I'm in Europe)...

It's a bit sad that I can't expand a lot in 100 turns but I'm sure there's enough I don't know about the core gameplay yet after 3x100 turns. I'll play the demo some more today and tomorrow; I don't think it's a waste of time.

7. Sebed

Sebed Chieftain

How am I supposed to fit 4GB of demo onto my memory stick? I'd have to completely empty it to do that. At least it's only 3 days wait. Japanese games can be like 10 months (why does Final Fantasy have to be Japanese?).

8. net55

net55 Warlord

True, Mod support really extends the life of Civ, I have game going that was partially my Mod and lots of stuff from the community. I do like the way the hit points are represented, picking off a few units in a hex at a time…just can’t see it that well….maybe I need glasses!

9. Indibil

Indibil Chieftain

I'm liking the demo a lot, to be honest.

I initially only downloaded it to be sure at what settings I could run the game once it unlocks, but I've had two enjoyable demogames: One with Egypt in which I went wonderspamming and I ended with 3 cities and almost every wonder and tech researched and one with Greece in which I leveraged the UUs and conquered all my continent (3 civs and 2 city states, remaining city states are neutral to allies).

Tonight I'll try one more demogame with Persia, mayhaps culture spamming this time.

I'm quite excited at the potential this game has. I cannot wait for the superb mods we'll undoubtably have in short time.

10. }{ELL/\/()

}{ELL/\/() Warlord

This is pretty good but I found the research goes way to quick, ended up about 55 turns in with everything discovered. Cant go to the next turn because it wants me to select research first. I will tweak the research settings or see if its possible to change the research value of physics (last tech you can get) to make it unobtainable. Was on prince without even trying to emphasize research

11. }{ELL/\/()

}{ELL/\/() Warlord

I changed the research value for physics in the /XML/Technologies/Civ5Technologies from 440 to 440000 and that worked. I found though that I kinda missed trebuchets towards the end, I think other civs got them by doing the research agreement thingie. I'm going to try to take out the "disable" line from the future tech or change something that doesnt give any real benefit (education, who needs unis when you have nothing left to research)