The Final Turn Thread

Kev

Hired Goon
Editorial from the United Fanatica News.

January 11, 1907

The Chinese had a saying before they became part of the Fanatica Realm. It said ‘May you live in interesting times’.

I’m not sure how many readers out there remember when President Kev and what can be described as the inner core of his inner circle came to lead this great nation of United Fanatica. It was a time when these same Chinese led the entire world in technology, when the Mongols were a danger to all who desired to live in peace. The Germans were a hidden nation – not even contacted at that point. The English and the Romans had positioned themselves well by being strong and capable forces in ancient times. The Zulus, of course, were always pretty pathetic.

Do you all remember the panic we felt in those years? We knew that we could overcome these obstacles and bring a greater good to this world we called home – and thought the only world in existence. Yet, this was also the time of the great exodus.

Yes, we all know the name if we cannot personally recall the events. Our founding fathers, our elder statesmen, they found the need to seek greener pastures and acted upon that need. We were a ship adrift without a person who desired to take the rudder. And we had yet to discover Magellan’s Voyage to boot.

Yet, from the hottest fire are forged men and women of uncompromising strength. This is the inner circle – OUR inner circle, and let us remember on this day what they have brought to us.

I know first hand, because I was living in Bejing at the time. Our technology lead in the world was at the COST of human intellect not at its behest. Publish or perish became the mantra, and when electricity ended the supreme effect of our Great Library we saw peril in our future. The efforts at building Shakespeare’s Theatre was in vain, for its use was a mere propaganda tool to assure the rest of the world that China was a glorious place to live.

Be you all sure that when those cavalry forces came to the city and forced open the gates, that never did the people of that city EVER think to return to the regime from whence we came. We were Fanatics then, and have always been so since then. We always shall be.

But ours was not alone. The Mongols soon followed along with the Germans soon after. The Romans and the English also joined under the Fanatic flag. We became a nation truly united and bringing prosperity to every corner. The Zulus were last, but in 1892 every city flew the Yellow. A single year is all it took, and much of this nation’s infrastructure was preserved, but we are now all united and working together.

Now think back. In 1896 we Fanatics developed a grand project. With prosperity, wealth, literacy, and peace there can be one sure outcome: population. While there was (and is) plenty of places left to settle on our world, foresight is the maker of success, and the inner circle looked to the stars as soon as the stars could be reached. We all felt the excitement when the scientists at Newton University at The Holy Duck Pond confirmed a habitable world near the star Alpha Centauri. Did we all not wonder aloud when it was proven that life could grow there and that it was reachable with the current technology? I, for one, was not surprised with the speed and efficiency of the space ship project that followed and was completed in 1896. I was surprised, however, by some of the inhabitants in the population modules.

You see, I think that we can all agree that things were running rather well in the world of Fanatica. I think that Kev and his talented advisors saw that there would be a greater need for their efforts in a world being born – perhaps reborn if you take the analogy further. And so it was in this year 1896 that Kev, Sir Duke, Sir duke, Sir Dell, Sir Ren, Sir Civ1, Lady Becka, Sir Leowind, Sir Dexter, Sir Anarchy, Sir Philosopher, Sir Elibb, Sir Spice, and Sir Starlifter left us to fend for ourselves. And fend we did – defending against a few barbarian attacks, building the Manhattan Project, and by sheer virtue of never taking advantage of the knowledge from this Project, I feel we have kept the dream of the Inner Circle alive.

So, packed with many kegs, brewery equipment, the largest still on record, and plenty of extra darts, they left us to a new age – and possibly to begin a whole new one.

So, why do I dredge up all of that history? Well, in this year, 1907, we have received a signal back from those aboard the UFS President. It would seem that the Eagle has landed, and the now 42,000 (looks like the 40,000 were having quite a bit of fun) have all safely begun their new lives. I long to see what these men and woman will bring to a world that is just beginning, pure and untouched by anyone previous. I am sure that the new world will be fraught with dangers of their own, and who knows if they will even be alone on this new world.

I do know this: that this new world is better off with them. There is a need for people such as these in every world – how ever many there might be.

Perhaps, through every time and place, there always will

And here is the save game. All that one needs to do is hit the 'return' key to start the final credits.

We scored 4,204 and were rated "Mr. President the Magnificent".

Our %age was 420%.

And to all: Please visit the "Knighting Ceremony" thread as the people of Fanatica would like to hear from all of the newly knighted parties.

Kev,

I'm assuming it was a slip of the finger, but the slider is set to 10% tax, and 90% Lux. Since the spaceship lands before the turn processes anything and we had plenty of cash left to cover the costs anyways, I'm assuming it should have been 100% luxuries. That would have made our score 4213 and our rating of 421% :D Not really anything, but might as well make it part of the games record.

Here's some Screen Shots of the final game turn:

Civ Score
Civ Rating
Power Graph
Civ Summary
Spaceship Landing

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
Kev,

I'm assuming it was a slip of the finger, but the slider is set to 10% tax, and 90% Lux. Since the spaceship lands before the turn processes anything and we had plenty of cash left to cover the costs anyways, I'm assuming it should have been 100% luxuries. That would have made our score 4213 and our rating of 421% :D Not really anything, but might as well make it part of the games record.

Thanks, Duke.

I was running the 90/10 for the last 6 or 7 turns since we had the cash to do so. I did mean to punch the luxuries to 100%. I appreciate the catch. :)

Anyone up to writing up a brief history of our glorious empire for the reading enjoyment of the greater CFC community (like Chieftess is doing for the Civ3 game)? I think that might draw some interest in a future game.

I may actually dl the game tonight at home just to revel in our glory :D

Not me but I guess it depends on how brief, a brief history is...

Originally posted by Leowind
Anyone up to writing up a brief history of our glorious empire for the reading enjoyment of the greater CFC community (like Chieftess is doing for the Civ3 game)? I think that might draw some interest in a future game.

Awww, you shouldn't have... :) I can't wait to read the Civ2 Demogame history, since I haven't been here since day 1. (I've been at the civ3 one. :))

I may actually dl the game tonight at home just to revel in our glory :D

Congrats on your demowin! The Civ3 Demogame is entering the final leg of its' game. (We're hoping for Culture or Spaceship) The final stretch should be during the last week of July, or early August.

Wow!
We of the Inner Circle (despite what Kev might tell you, not just drinking buddies) are honoured to welcome the noble President of the Phoenatican nation to the Fanatica Empire. I did sign up for that game too but had to drop out as I only had time for one demo game and don't know very much about Civ 3. I have had a quick peek at your forum now and again and you seem to be subjugating the heathen hordes in excellent fashion. :D:goodjob:
Best of luck for the future. :)

Now that was a bit disappointing. I've never finished a game of Civ2 before (as a winner) but this is nothing like the way the game ends in Civ1 with a little movie and a map where you can see which civs you've destroyed and all that stuff.... Anyway, we won. ;)

Originally posted by civ1-addict
Now that was a bit disappointing. I've never finished a game of Civ2 before (as a winner) but this is nothing like the way the game ends in Civ1 with a little movie and a map where you can see which civs you've destroyed and all that stuff.... Anyway, we won. ;)

Yep. That is one thing that was very disappointing about the end of a Civ 2 game. It proved to be so popular though, they brought it back for Civ 3. ;)

If they brought it back in Civ3 why didn't they already bring it back in Civ2MGE? Strange......
I always like to see that summary in Civ1, just looking what cities I destroyed. :D

You know, I seem to remember Starlifter and someone else would do something for the GOTM's when we were just beginning. They would take a screenshot of the world a various points during the game and then run them like a movie. It was similar to the ending of Civ3, though there were no messages about what cities were built or destroyed or anything like that. I thought that was pretty cool - wonder why they ditched that in Civ2.

Anyway, Starlifter could probably tell you more about how to do it.

A brief announcement for all concerned:

Just to let you all know that our score would put us as #10 on the Emperor level Hall of Fame. And we finished in 1907 with over 100 years of score buffing available to us. We actually finished slightly behind a Team Classic succession game.

Not bad, all. Hey, if someone wants to play on for the next 100 years we could probably break the top 5!! Hmmm... perhaps I'll have a look at that game and see what can be done...

Now that's unexpected.....I thought there were many players that are a lot better than the combined effort. We were at risk of losing the game altogether at some point but we managed to get in a good score anyway! :)

Thats amazing! How did we manage such a high score when we didn't even try for a high score?

In the beginning we didn't do well but at a certain point we really ruled the world and could do anything we wanted to do so I think the high score is because of the "end-game".

How long did the entire game take to play?

We started before Christmas last year (December 10th) and finished last week (July 1st) so including breaks for Christmas and Easter that's eight months. It should be quicker with a smaller map and with the system of biweekly turns we set up in the last game then I'd expect to finish this in far less than 8 months. Especially if we go for a conquest victory. Which would depend on the world and starting position really. Please join - you don't have to post everyday but input wherever possible is always welcome. :)

Top Bottom