The game need some fix

Henryjai

Chieftain
I have tried out the mod of RTW and I must say that the new mechanisms, movies, leaderheads, all are very very nice. However I must share my experiences of playing the mod and hope someone would release a mini-mod of whatever so the games gets more enjoyable.

First of all, the ground attacks are way way too powerful, ground attacks are not THAT effective in WWII, especially against soft targets like infantryman, if you have ever fly a plane in a WWII plane simulation game you'll know that the ground targets are really small to hit effectively.

And it is hilarious, ground attacks obliterate AA guns, which shouldn't be even happening. AA guns are only a slightly cheaper way of damaging enemy aircrafts and they often get distracted by enemy ground troops.

The impact of this on the game is obvious, as a minor that have few aircover, you're automatically screwed as it is pointless to build the (weak) troops at all. Controlling the sky should give one a decisive advantage but never is a landslide victory guaranteed. This gives the game more tactical viability rather than just fighter-spam and who-produce-more-fighters-wins.

Suggestion 1: Cap the damage from air attack, prevent it from killing ground targets directly. A good old 50% cap should be good.

Suggestion 2: AA guns should have low interception chance against fast aircrafts like fighters unless they are performing ground attack missions. And they shouldn't get killed that easily by the strong UU planes. A way of doing it is to give fighters high chances of avoiding interceptions.

Minor Suggestion 1: Rename AA guns to AAA, stands for anti-aircraft artillery.

Another thing I observed in the game is that some cities simply starve to death in the beginning, which is a rather pointless "feature" and a nuissance.

Suggestion 3: Either give those cities some food source to maintain their size, or just let them start with low population.

As many people have posted on this forum, there should be a cap on artillery damage, sure a lot of casualties are inflicted by the artillery in WWII, but it is rather rare that an entire unit just disappeared due to artillery fire. If something is rare, it shouldn't happen.

Suggestion 4: Cap the artillery damage to 75%

The germans do put some minefields in the baltic sea, in particular to stop the British ships from going into the baltic sea.

Minor Suggestion 2: A way of doing this would be to allow the construction of naval mines in those narrow straits, probabily by a workboat or something. That would damage ships that tried to pass it.

Production, yes, production of the fascist countries are way too much, what is the point of the game when Germany just walk through your country with 70 infantryman? The so-large amount of units also lags the game, no doubt.

Suggestion 5: Even the fascist industry should be mobilized step by step. IRL German war production dramatically increased during the war, rather than stayed constant.

Trade: The advantages of the allied countries are trading (since facists have no trade routes), but in the game you don't really trade unless you're at war (allied), so this advantage is not happening at all (note: you could trade with your ally anyway even if you have no foreign traderoutes). In a game as France I managed to progress through techs by intense tech-stealing. Well, actually it is the only way to get the production techs that are absolutely necessary for the allied.

Also the wealth it generate is very useful in the sense that, the democratic countries could use gold to speed up their sucky production.

Suggestion 6: use the vanilla "open all traderoutes" UN decision would help.

looked, but there seemed to have a bit too many cities to manage... and I don't think my computer could handle it without burning my motherboard either.

Agree ... my core i7 even struggles ... but the enjoyment I get from playing it, even though I developed is worth it. I get the occasional random CTD, but that is what frequent saves are for.

even my (near) brand new PC Struggles with Kiwitt's Version of RTW

There will be no bitter winter in Version 2.0, although I will tweak the terrain effects which will fix a lot of the speed issues.

Top Bottom