The glorious Evolution of Master of Mana - The Red Desert of Cruoris / First screenshot of standalone version / Feedback needed

I have finished the terraforming system now. You start terraforming by activating the terraform mode on the worldmap. Then every tile has an icon that shows to what terrain you can terraform the plot. The icon has a special effect a bit like hot air in the desert, sadly it doesn't show in the screenshot.

TerraformingIcon.png

Here 6 different terrains/features are shown so they are a bit hard to read. Usually you will probably only have 1-3 options but for testing I gave my leader a lot of terraforming magic. Once you click on the icon a selection screen will open and provide details over the spells.

TerraformingScreen.png

Each spell has an efficiency that depends on your leaders skill, bonuses from buildings/tech and adjacency effects. Scorch efficiency for example improves when there are forests nearby. For every additional 100% efficiency the spell transforms another tile. One thing I changed is how terraforming magic is animated. Instead of displaying the terraforming magic only once the spell finished you now see an animation on the tile once you start to cast the spell. For earth magic there are little explosions and rocks flying around, water magic has water shooting in the air, air magic has tornados moving randomly on the tile and fire magic has flames and smoke.

Since settlements are on multiple tiles I created special higher level terraforming spells for settlements that terraform the whole settlement and adjacent tiles. The terraforming animations are displayed on all tiles that will change. To scorch a whole settlement you need the firestorm spell.
Firestorm.png

Since you can loot one-time use terraforming spellscrolls you will probably do atleast a little bit of terraforming magic every game.

Next on my list are visual effects for the city enchantments.

I have added three ways to display city enchantments. The first and most obvious way is to have a magic effect on the city. For example the cloud district enchantment is displayed by a few clouds. The second way is to display the enchantment on the defenses of the city. Wall of Fire is displayed by a lot of fires burning. The third one is to display the enchantment on the tiles it effects. For example the fair winds enchantment increases the food produced by all fishers and since fishers require lakes or ocean tiles the enchantment is displayed on lakes and ocean tiles (a few clouds). You can see it on the screenshot but the clouds on the lakes are a bit too small so it's too difficult to spot them. I have to finetune the graphical effects but the idea is that if you use a lot of air magic then you see a lot of clouds and stormy winds in your lands, if you use water magic you see a lot of rain and so on.

WallOfFire.png

The gamelogic of city enchantments is changed quite a bit. City enchantments now effect only a single city but cost no mana upkeep. You can also find spell scrolls of city enchantments that you can use only one-time, so you have to choose carefully which city you want to buff with the city enchantment. One of the roles of city enchantments is to specialize cities.

mama mia.
so much happened in the past year :)
all that sounds awesome !
I had one comment on the tech map... you plan to have each civ with a different tech map ?? or "merely" have different bonus on (some) techs ?

mama mia.
so much happened in the past year :)
all that sounds awesome !
I had one comment on the tech map... you plan to have each civ with a different tech map ?? or "merely" have different bonus on (some) techs ?
Yes, each civ will have it's own tech map. Of course many techs will appear on many tech maps, like mining, farming etc.

I also want to give each civ their own way to unlock "techs". I call them advancements in code because they do not necessarily have to be a technology. Only few civs will have scholars and libraries and so on. For the orcs for example I plan that they gain a resource like glory from battle and they can use that resource to purchase "technologies". So with glory in battle they can attract stronger units to their clan or wise shamans will join their clan and bring their knowledge with them.

I spend about a week iterating on the grasslands textures. It's finally at a point that I like. There is still improvement potential with better grass, flowers, trees etc.

I had also added some dungeons tiles some time ago where you can find monsters to fight (and loot). They have some flickering light and sometimes also some mist. It looks pretty cool when a dungeon is at the edge of the fog of war (left side of the screenshot).
Grasslands.png

All features are mostly implemented now. Development focus is now testing, polish, artwork and tutorial stuff. For my next testgame I decided to create a custom leader as an airmage to make a build focused on dexterity and test air / water magic.

CustomLeaderScreen.png

Name, Title, Motto and Empire Name are flavour texts that are referenced in dialogs and events. This leader I only use in testing in a single game so I did not spend much time on these texts. As starting knowledge you can only pick certain more powerful technologies, currently about 40. For bodyguards there are about 8-10 choices for each race and there are currently about 40 combat abilities you can start with. So lots of choices you can experiment with. The custom leader you create is saved in a separate file and cloned when the game starts so if you make changes to the custom leader it will not affect savegame where the leader is used. So for example you could easily create a leader, play a game, then for the next game use the same leader just change the starting tech.

Top Bottom