The Great Libary

No, No

You get every civ advance that are known by two other civilization. not two advances that other civs know.

Correct, as long as two other civs know the advances already. Isn't it a different advance that makes the GL expire, though? It slips my mind. Oh well.

I stopped researching after building the GL in my current game and after building the the other GL, Great Lighthouse I got 14 techs in one turn.

Ended up getting maybe 3 more and then for some weird reason the number of turns till my next advance...Chivalry..dropped from 17 to 1 turn on the turn that I got Education and the Library expired.

A few quick Samauri later I entered a Golden Age.

Unfortunately, eight hundred years of war with Persia produced no great leaders.

I think there is more to the Great Leaders trigger than they are telling us.

Originally posted by jimmytrick
I stopped researching after building the GL in my current game and after building the the other GL, Great Lighthouse I got 14 techs in one turn.

I don't quite understand, how does the Lighthouse do this in conjunction with the Great Library

The GL is my "must have" wonder. Prebuild for it by putting a city on palace (or other wonder) construction and switch to GL as soon as you have the techs to do so. Once it is built you will stay technologically current for an entire age, without investing anything into research.

Originally posted by Shaitan
The GL is my "must have" wonder. Prebuild for it by putting a city on palace (or other wonder) construction and switch to GL as soon as you have the techs to do so. Once it is built you will stay technologically current for an entire age, without investing anything into research.

When the lighthouse gets built, TRADE is enabled with harbor connected cities over OCEAN, instead of SEA as previously. Since TRADE is no enabled with more partners, more techs go into the pool of tchs available if 2 CONTACTED Civs have it.

Originally posted by SuperDave9x19

When the lighthouse gets built, TRADE is enabled with harbor connected cities over OCEAN, instead of SEA as previously. Since TRADE is no enabled with more partners, more techs go into the pool of tchs available if 2 CONTACTED Civs have it.
Ocean trade becomes possible with Navigation, not the Lighthouse. Techs are traded as soon as civs have contact with each other. They don't need a viable trade route in order to swap techs. Trade routes only affect resources. Even workers can be traded without a trade route.

What I think that SuperDave9x19 is trying to say is that if you build the Great Lighthouse it enables you to contact more civs and thus it increases the effectiveness of the great library.:scan:

Several posters seem to say that the Great lighthouse will increase the effect of the Great Library because it helps you contact more civs. But I do not think that you need contact with the 2 civs with a technology to get the tech with the great library. The person who happened to get a lot of tech the same turn he built the lighthouse did not get it because of the lighthouse. Just building the lighthouse did not give him contact with anyone new. He would still need to go find the other civs if contact was required.

Let me sum up:

The Lighthouse has no direct effect on the Library.
The Lighthouse does allow you to contact new civs (usually).
You need to have contact with a civ for their techs to become availabe via the Great Library.
You don't need a trade route to the civ for their techs to be available.
The Library rocks. In my opinion, the most important wonder in the ancient times.

Top Bottom