1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Indians

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Ision, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Willem 69

Willem 69 Chieftain

What I liked about the Indians in my last game with them is that there was a definite point when I accellerated past all other civs tech and money wise. It was when I discovered chivalry and was close to gunpowder, I figured why not? and traded away my last horses and iron to the Egyptians for 30 gpt two turns later my GA kicked in and I got a lead I never gave up again.

On sidenote, the Egyptians kicked the Arabs, who also lacked horses and iron but only offered 28 gpt, from their continent.

2. Cannon

Cannon YHVH has a son

pib, pib . . . I say good job Ision. Plup, plup!

3. Dogmeat

Dogmeat Lupine humanoid

You are underestimating the War Elephant Ision. The extra hitpoint effectively gives the War Elephant 5 offense, 4 defense (well, almost 4 defense). Add to that, this game sees very few cities without barracks, so you can heal your War Elephant's 4-5 lost hitpoints in one turn + no recources required for a unit that would otherwise require both horses and iron (which are both woefully scarce in this game compared to PTW).
    It's a top tier unit no matter how you put it.

4. Prince David

Prince David David di Xeno

I think the War Elephant is my new favorite UU. The extra hit point plus the changes to armies (blitz and +1 move) means an army w/elite WE will have 16-18 hp, a move of three and up to three attack turns. Throw in a free pillage and you have some serious s--t! In my current game my WE army was attacked by a stack of veteran Crusaders. It defended against, and wiped out, two, then turned around the next turn and attacked and killed three. Total army cusualties were 2 hp. The next turn it attacked Cuzco, a 12 pop city defended by three veteran pikemen and took the city with 2-3 hp to spare. War mongering or not, this UU makes an army that can dominate throughout the middle ages!!

5. Tsunami23

Tsunami23 That Guy

The funnest thing is doing the QuickCiv scenario,and setting it so everybody starts in industrial age, and pumping out tons of elephants and killing everyone quickly.

6. Khift

Khift Prince

I find this somewhat humorous. I feel the same way about the French, with them always instigating and attacking other civs and sometimes even myself.

Funny how the only two civs with an aggression rating of one tend to be some of the more aggressive civs in actuality.

7. Amiri

Amiri Chieftain

What Indians are you guys playing with? I must have the advanced version of them or it's a bug in the game(s) Ghandi is a warmonger. In one game he killed of he Spanish English,Japanese and halfway the germans. All for no reason...I checked He didn't have to kill the one city Japanese. The guy was a warmonger and a culture vulture. His culture riviled mine. Only once has the Indians been peacfull and that's when they where stuck on an island.

8. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Same for me ;) , India always causes problems :crazyeye: . Last game I was
    Vikings and they attacked me very early :eek: , we were on our own continent. I :spank: them hard, but this was before they had the War
    Elephants :D , and they never recovered. I kept their area very small but
    let them survive the whole game. Later I wiped out Japan, Iroquois and Celts
    just before Domination Victory :lol: . Ironically I never saw an AI UU except
    for an occaisional War Elephant moving around :confused: . I understand
    Japan not having their UU, I wiped them out too early, but the I and the C
    should have had theirs :sad: . I guess they were avoiding early Golden Ages.

9. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

The agression level is only one factor and not the most important.No civ will stay peaceful if it becomes powerhouse, at least thats my experience.And especially the "peaceful" civs may have good chances to become powerhouses...no early wars, better infrastructure.The absolute opposite is Germany in CivIII...early aggressive, later weak...

10. Olli513

Olli513 Launch torpedo number 3!

every single time when i play with china,the first neigbour i meet is india.
    and i usually take them out fast.

11. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

You probably have 'Culturally linked starting positions' on.

12. The Dragon

The Dragon Chieftain

India and France are generally friendly in my games.

13. Olli513

Olli513 Launch torpedo number 3!

'Culturally linked starting positions'.whatta heck is it? how i can turn it off?

14. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

If you start a ney game it is one of the settings on second set-up page (where you choose your civ).Simply unmark the checkbox behind the line.I recommend turning it off at the moment because it causes also a bug, which puts everytime all american civs in the game.

15. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

...if you choose random civs. BEyond that, it puts civs that are in the same culture group (American, European, Mediterrean, Middle Eastern and Asian[I believe that's what they're all called). You can probably guess which civs ae in each. The difference between Euro. and Med. seems to be mainly time-based, btw (ie. Romans, Greeks, etc are Med., France Germany, etc. are Euro.)

16. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I have a special variant that I play with when I am India. I never step foot outside my cultural borders and the only military units I ever build are war elephants and artillery types. It makes for some dense build games without much contact with the rest of the world, but woe to anyone who tries to attack me if I manage to get War Elephant armies.

17. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I thik Indias OK and is better than 3rd tier (not by much though). On Isions list I would swap them with the Zulu.

18. Swiss Bezerker

Swiss Bezerker Emperor

I love India.... how are they third tier.Religious meens fewer culture flips when u use war elephant to kick there ass. there at least second tier

19. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

WE are awesome. Probably one of the best, if not the best UU. That extra hp makes a big difference.

20. Jopedamus I

Jopedamus I Immortality is reality

India is average civ, 1 good trait (commercial) and 1 not so good (religious), but Great UU should be enough to make them change places with Zulu(how is possible that Zulu is in second tier?!).