1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Kingdom of Hatti: Bring Back the Hittites

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Kingmaker, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Iron sure, but the others seem a bit extreme. Also you forgot nitre. :p

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Some open air shrine like in Yazilikaia (more of a wonder actually) could work as UB as well.

@The Kingmaker so no substantial reason to include her over some other choices. I thought maybe you knew a bit more than these old phrases. Of course it‘s better than Gorgo - but that shouldn‘t be the standard.

Zaarin likes this.
  3. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

All units which require Iron unlock sooner? (Swordsmen at Bronze Working and Knights at Horseback Riding. nb I just realized there are only two. what. on. earth. o__O)

and everyone forgets about Nitre. :p

Zaarin likes this.
  4. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Come now. These are the Hittites we're talking about. There are no big household names to fall back on.

Sure, Suppiluliuma and Mursilis were great conquerors, but there's not all that much to differentiate them from any other near eastern warlord of the period.

Pudu-Hepa at least is something other than the tired conqueror trope.

I'm not sure what additional information you're looking for when it comes to Hittite rulers.

5. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

Elam is quite fascinating. Matriarchal, I believe, in that their main deity was a goddess.

6. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I agree with the diplomacy ability. They did indeed create the first known formal written peace treaty.

Pudu-hepa could have an ability involving the new alliance mechanism. She was adept at brokering important marriage alliances involving her children and arranged for their family to be allied with Egypt, Babylon and Amurru (the Amorite kingdom) simultaneously.

7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I wouldn't say that makes them matriarchal--Ishtar was a major deity in the Babylonian pantheon, too, and the Babylonians were far from matriarchal--to say nothing of the fact that Athena was the patron god of one of the most chauvinistic societies in history. But the Elamites are quite interesting, being a major power in the region, speaking a language unrelated to any other known language, and even briefly conquering Babylon.

8. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

Muwatalli II gets my vote, but sure, Pudu would be great too. As long as the Hatti are in and well made (reflecting their culture and achievements), I'm a happy camper.

The Kingmaker and Zaarin like this.
  9. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Hear, hear!

10. fredrikslicer

fredrikslicer Chieftain

Rulers:
    Paduhepa is certainly a valid choice but...
    Suppiluliuma is the man who took a broken empire everyone had written off as vitually dead and made it one of the great powers in the near east and herculean achivement
    Mursili II Suffered plauge for nearly his entire reign which he belived was a direct punishment from the god for the crimes of his father, loosing 3 of his brothers and wife as well as being struck mute likely due to grief and still with a depleted army and ravaged country he preserved his fathers legacy and pushed the empire even futher west.
    Paduhepa was a successful diplomat and powerful tawana but pales by comparison and Muwatali II is only noteworthy because he had contact with Ramases and Troy

Still I would want Paduhepa because she is a very good representation of the Tawana which was an unusual institution in the region
    And I would like either Suppiluliuma or Mursili II

In general I think most civs need at least 2 leaders too best represent their various facets

UU: Heavy Chariot (is obvious)
    UB: Bit Hilani replaces Monument (Not sure about the bonuses but it was emulated for a long time afterwards)
    UA: Land of a thousand gods (Iron was never more than ceremonial or used by the ocassional officer)
    UAL:
    1. Tawanan for Pudu-Hepa
    2. Great sun of Hattit for Suppiluliuma
    3. Servant of the Storm god for Mursili II

Siptah likes this.
  11. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

For my own vision I hold different parametres into account, but you've definitely sold me on PuduHepa for Civ 6. A mechanic where she can have multiple alliances of the same type could work, I think. (simple, unique, powerful). Let's harangue the devs forevermore until she's included in the next Xpac. :whipped:

The Kingmaker and Manifold like this.
  12. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Tawanna is indeed a special position, but so is Tabarna. I don't know any parallels in the Near East for that. I'm thinking how this could be turned into an ability for the civ, but haven't come up with something interesting gameplay-wise yet.

@The Kingmaker I know that in the end, Puduhepa has good chances to get into the game if they want to do the Hittites. I just can't see a reason that puts her above the others besides having contact to well known people. She doesn't seem to have been an extraordinary Tawanna, but there were some extraordinary Tabarna. It's not the same situation as with Nubia, where the Kings are often outshined by the Kandake in our reception, here it is quite the opposite.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. fredrikslicer

fredrikslicer Chieftain

Well the Tabarna would very likely have their own chariots so thats an option

Replacements for a great general

Replacing a governor with a unique one for hittites

Havendish likes this.
  14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Unique governors or governor abilities would certainly be an interesting feature.

My best idea so far was gaining/losing loyalty through something comparable to historic moments.

15. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Except that she was quite extraordinary. Her husband was sick a lot and she essentially ran the kingdom for him. After he died, her son was young and she appeared to continue to run everything in his name. By far the most powerful and prestigious queen of the Hittites.

She wrote letters to Ramses the Great of all people and spoke on equal terms while other nations were bowing and scraping.

She once chided him for letting his pride cloud his judgment when he was overly contemptuous of the King of Babylon. No one talked to Ramses like that, let alone got away with it.

She also had correspondence with Nefertari, but if memory serves, Nefertari never wrote to Hattusili like Puduhepa wrote to Ramses.

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Meh... I guess we will never agree on that, so there‘s no point in discussing (or repeating questionable phrases that scream in a strange way fragmentary knowledge or intentional biases).

17. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

What a strange thing to say on an internet forum about video games.

18. Softly

Softly Chieftain

The Hittites are know for being scientifically advanced for their era, especially in the field of metallurgy. I think the perfect civ ability would be:

Kings of the Iron Age: City Center's receive +1 science for adjacent mines over strategic resources. Building mines over any resource does not consume a builder charge. Automatically reveals iron at the start of the game, and all other strategic resources are revealed earlier in the technology tree (niter at Bronze Working, coal at Gunpowder, Oil at Steam Power and Uranium + Aluminum at Combustion.

19. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

They've been a city state since Civ 6 was released

20. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Yes, but that's not a playable civ. Just a single city name and some scant civiliopedia text.

Brings up some thoughts I've had about them improving the implementation of city-states.