Fyodor Dostoevsky
George Orwell/Eric Blair
Jean Baptiste Pocquelin/Moliere
Anton Chekhov
Thomas Paine

Or 25 all told.

jpowers:

Timothy Berners-Lee = Created the World Wide Web
Enrico Fermi = Accomplished the first controlled atomic chain reaction. He was the father of nuclear power and the atomic bomb.
Cyrus McCormick = Developed the process of freeze-drying food.

Originally posted by Switch625
jpowers:

Timothy Berners-Lee = Created the World Wide Web
Enrico Fermi = Accomplished the first controlled atomic chain reaction. He was the father of nuclear power and the atomic bomb.
Cyrus McCormick = Developed the process of freeze-drying food.

Just to prove that I didn't pick the names I listed out of a hat, I can verify that you have, er, in fact, um, have made a slight, em, :mischief: error there. It was Birdseye who invented frozen food, McCormick invented the mechanical reaper.

R.III

I could tell you something (more or less) about

Haile Selassie
Anwar el-Sadat (much)
El Cid
Guiseppe Garibaldi
Ibn Battuta
Jacques Cartier
Valentina Tereshkova
Timothy Berners-Lee
Werner Heisenberg
James Joule (very little)
Wilhelm Rontgen
Enrico Fermi
Carolus Linnaeus
Isambard Brunel
Guglielmo Marconi
Robert Watson-Watt
Karl Benz
Joseph Montgolfier
Igor Sikorsky
Emily Bronte
Jules Verne
Fyodor Dostoevsky
George Orwell/Eric Blair (much)
Dante Alighieri
Jean Baptiste Pocquelin/Moliere

so 26 people.

Dmitry Ivanovich Mendeleiev - The inventor of Periodic System of Chemical Elements
Alexander Stepanovich Popov - inventor of radio (Who said Marconi?!)
Ivan Ivanovich Polzunov - inventor of steam engine (How dare you say Watt?)
Tesla - great scientist

Certainly Watt wasn't the inventor of the Steam Engine,but as far as I know the first steam engine was built by Frenchman Denis Papin in 1685.

1685?
Are you sure it is 16.. ? More than hundred years before Watt?
Anyway, Polzunov invented Steam Engine in 1763

Originally posted by Richard III

Just to prove that I didn't pick the names I listed out of a hat, I can verify that you have, er, in fact, um, have made a slight, em, :mischief: error there. It was Birdseye who invented frozen food, McCormick invented the mechanical reaper.

R.III

OOPS! :blush:

Watt was the inventor of Radar, not the steam engine. Yep, I wanted to include Mendeleyev and Tesla, as well as Prokofiev and Rachmaninov, but I feared they would be too famous. You should be complimented, not insulted ;) I don't know who built the steam engine - but I do know that the first person to build a steampowered boat was a Scotsman...

Watt was the inventor of Radar, not the steam engine. Yep, I wanted to include Mendeleyev and Tesla, as well as Prokofiev and Rachmaninov, but I feared they would be too famous. You should be complimented, not insulted I don't know who built the steam engine - but I do know that the first person to build a steampowered boat was a Scotsman...

I'm confused with who is too famous for this thread... For example, I don't consider Dostoyevski and Chekhov 'moderately' famous

Of these I can say something about virtually all of them:

Haile Selassie - emperor of Ethiopia, inspiration for the Rastafarian religion.
Anwar el-Sadat - president of Egypt, Nobel prize winner, assassinated.
El Cid - greatest knight of mediaeval Spain, played role in the reconquista. Inspiration for superb movie with Chuck Heston.
Guiseppe Garibaldi - liberator of Italy, not responsible for baking biscuits subsequently named after him...
Jacques Cartier - French explorer active in the Americas.
Mungo Park - British explorer active in Africa.
John Cabot - Italian explorer in English service. Sailed in "the Matthew" to the Americas.
Arthur Brown and John Alcock - First men to fly across the Atlantic in 1919 - beating Lindbergh by nearly a decade.
Valentina Tereshkova - Soviet Cosmonaut, first woman in space.
Timothy Berners-Lee - English computer genius, inventer of the worldwide web.
Werner Heisenberg - Physiscist, deviser of the "uncertainty principle" fundamental to quantum physics.
James Joule - 19th century English physicist.
William Thomson - aka Lord Kelvin. Major British scientist.
Wilhelm Rontgen - Discoverer of the x-ray.
Enrico Fermi - Nuclear physicist.
Joseph Priestley - Chemist. One of the discoverers of oxygen.
Fritz Haber - Chemist.
Carolus Linnaeus - Naturalist, deviser of the binary system of taxonomy (ie where each species is identified by two Latin names, the first for its genus, the second for the species).
Isambard (Kingdom) Brunel - Greatest engineer of all time. Built Great Western railway, SS Great Western, SS Great Eastern, SS Great Britain, Clifton Suspension Bridge etc etc etc.
Guglielmo Marconi - Pioneer of radio.
Robert Watson-Watt - Pioneer of radar.
Eli Whitney - Inventer of cotton gin.
Elisha Otis - Inventor of elevator.
Frank Whittle - Pioneer of jet engines.
Karl Benz - Pioneer of the motor car.
John Holland - Pioneer of the submarine.
Joseph Montgolfier - Pioneer (with brother Etienne) of hot air ballooning.
Igor Sikorsky - Pioneer of the helicopter.
Thomas Sopwith - British aircraft manufacturer - built the most successful WW1 fighter aircraft, the Camel.
Clarence Birdseye - Devised frozen food (most of which is now named after him).
Emily Bronte - English author of the 19th century.
Jules Verne - French author of the 19th century, famous for early science fiction.
Fyodor Dostoevsky - Russian author of the 19th century.
Louisa May Alcott - American author of the 19th century, wrote "Little Women".
(Jean de) La Fontaine - French writer of the 17th century, wrote fables.
George Orwell/Eric Blair - English writer of 20th century, wrote "1984" and "Animal Farm".
Dante Alighieri - Mediaeval Italian poet, creator of "La Divina Commedia" (of which "Inferno" is the only bit anyone seems to read these days).
Jean Baptiste Pocquelin/Moliere - French writer of 18th century, best known for the satire "Candide".
Edmond Rostand - French writer, best known for novel "Cyrano de Bergerac".
Anton Chekhov - Russian playwright of 19th century.
Thomas Paine - American pamphleteer of the 18th century.

I think that's 42.

Originally posted by Bifrost
1685?
Are you sure it is 16.. ? More than hundred years before Watt?
Anyway, Polzunov invented Steam Engine in 1763

OK some detail here.

James Watt (totally unconected with the Robert Watson-Watt of the original posting) devised significant improvements to the steam engine in 1769, and it is his design which was the first with the potential to provide worthwhile locomotive power (later explioted by Richard Trevithick in 1804 who built the first true steam locomotive).

However, Watt's improvements were made while working on a steam engine built to Thomas Newcomen's 1712 designs. Newcomen himself had improved upon engines built by Thomas Savory in 1698.

All evidence points to Papin having been the very first to construct a working (albeit primitive) steam engine. As Kennelly says, this was in 1685.

As for Polzunov: in 1763 he devised some improvements to an English-built engine installed (in 1717) by John Desaguliers in St Petersburg. As you can see, the things had been around for quite a long time before he got involved, so calling him the "inventor" is a shade optimistic!

Originally posted by The Troquelet
AMAZING Illustrious! :goodjob: Only one mistake: Candide was written by Voltaire, not Moliere ;)

Aaah! Of course it was! The perils of doing things like this while half-asleep. And to think, I have Moliere's collected plays on my bookshelf in the next room (sitting next to the works of Marie Fraicois Arouet aka Voltaire...)!

Correction: Jean Baptiste Pocquelin/Moliere - French dramatist, best known for comedies of morality including Le Malade Imaginaire (the Hypochondriac) and L'Avare (the Miser).

Top Bottom