The Man in the Iron Mask : Numéro Deux

RL came up last night. I'll play the remainder of my set tonight.

Played a short set, got peace with Joao, moved Musketeers north, but stopped when I found a third dutch city. Next player can decide whether we should wage war or not. We're also running into trouble with regards to things to build.

Spoiler Maintenance :

Before Palace, no idea why we have -2g for city maintenance.

After Palace, before gifting. Note that Guimares came out of revolt in the IBT

After gifting SuckCity

Spoiler The Dutch :

I also found Buddhist Spain.

Attachments

• Eustache Dauger BC-1760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    79.5 KB · Views: 230
Maybe we should dispose of the Usurper sooner rather than later. Maybe see if we can put a city somewhere to discourage Billy Oranje from expanding north west.

Oups, I'm UP :)

did not openned the save yet, just the screenshots
I would invade dutchland just for the invade money.
La hague should not be a problem (not on a hill), only one archer (I think).
Then aim for amsterdam (still not on a hill) then finish with utreched.
The only question is: do we keep the cities?

more after looking tat the save.

I propose:

raze the hague, heal, get amsterdam, heal, go to utrecht then consult.

About science, get pottery at 100% to build cottages then begin writting at 0%

I'll play tomorow night.

How long does pottery@100% take? And much gold would we burn per turn?

Pottery and cottaging up some sites is indeed important. Some conquest cash will keep things going as well though. Once the economy is fixed, it's game over I'm afraid, however.

Hence, getting back to what Cam said, I must say that indeed his nice theme kind of turned into a, well, freak show. It doesn't really have to do with an immortal game with an AI we're locked into war with and with a significant amount of turns of catch-up in settling later. I think I might prefer to re-roll this, or do the same start but eliminate the suck island possiblity (rescue muskets by astro only) or have us start somewhere on the western part of the land mass without galley to start with... And/or make us a Joao re-cast so we can rescue the muskets at optics and can catch up earlier being imp/exp. Or something...
I hate to admit it, but the roster latched onto my cunning 'just out of reach but not really' trick immediately, which has consequently broken the game (it's my fault!). I envisaged that the Musketeers would get rescued, just not in the Ancient Era. I can see this game just being a foregone conclusion.

I've been watching and become increasingly divided on 'where to from here', but I'm happy for everyone to see this game out, or happy to terminate this game now and roll up a new 'more regulation' map with the same theme (or have a 'third party' roll up a new map as proposed), or happy to dream up some completely new theme given that a few of you weren't that excited about playing Louis XIV again after your SGOTM, or happy to gift the remaining AI tribes a couple of CGII Longbows each to perhaps act as a counter our super units.

I'm afraid nocho is right. We can probably kill the Dutch and the Fake French with our musketeers alone. The conquest gold should keep our economy up until we have a regular economy, but at that point, the game is already won.

I'll just play my set tonight before giving my opinion on this game but I've got the feeling we are in the same position that in the RR16 taxday where it was possible to kill everyone with axemens and colonize the whole continent and thus win with bronze working only twisting the goal that was trade money for techs.

Will give a more complete feeling after my set tonight. (I want to play it anyway :p)

I've played lots of turns.
up to 875 BC (turn 80)
I killed dutch but portos passed out in the process. I only kept amstersdam and razed utreched)
attack chance against utreched were not that great (75% for our woodmen III against basic archer :/). In the end, i had to wait quite a lot of time in healing to get this hill city.

I redressed economy with mass cottage. we can be at +8 at 100% money.
I succeed to get bronze hooked up and processed to build up an army of 5xp axemen to finish portugal.
I think we have wined this game
ok to get a retuned version of this game :)

Attachments

• Eustache Dauger BC-0875.CivBeyondSwordSave
    100.9 KB · Views: 197
Good job on the win, every one! :D:p I checked, we can have writing in 3 turns and still have positive cash at 0 slider, then just whip/chop our 6 libraries for enough scientists to carry us along. Even just self teching alpha that way and then build research. So that pretty much nails it.

@Cam, will you re-create this? I do like the concept of this game. :)

I'm really glad you liked the concept of the game (albeit I felt as though it was more of a 'cover' of pholkhero's than an 'original'), but fear that it's done its dash a bit now. I'll toss up another soon.

Congratulations everyone on the pending victory nonetheless - and my apologies for putting up a map that was so brilliantly contrived that it completely backfired! :blush: :lol:

no need to apologize.

At least we saw how good can musketeers be :). Maybe inspiration for future games? ;-). But I guess not having muskets at t30 and attacking more evolved nations would not look so easy.

Top Bottom