sTAPler27

Chieftain
I'm no historian bat after reading a biography on Louis Riel I think the Metis would make for great indigenous representation in the Modern Age. In Civ 5 and 6 we got the Inca and Aztecs with the same leaders and the Maya again. The only other difference is that the last two indigenous reps, Iroquois and Shoshone were swapped for the Cree and Mapuche. Almost half of the American reps in game are settler colonies (Canada, U.S, Brazil, Gran Colombia). I think it's time the Americas get more representation. The Metis would naturally be accompanied by Riel as a leader. The civ would benefit from maintaining diplomatic ties in order to build strong relationships as well as to build their economy. With their unique civic tree they'd be able to mobilize a military if faced with a particularly aggressive AI.
The Metis Civ 7 - 1.png
The Metis Civ 7 - 2.png
The Metis Civ 7 - 3.png
The Metis Civ 7 - 4.png
The Metis Civ 7 - 5.png

Ooohhhhhh that would be LOVELY and woudl probably be right up there at the top of my to-play list.

It seems you've put quite a bit of thought into this! If I may ask, what is the connection to Saint Boniface Cathedral? A cursory web search didn't bring anything up.
It was a bit tricky to find a fitting wonder. However given the Cathedral is the resting place of many of the members of the Red River Rebellion including Riel and his ancestors as well as well as where Riel first publicly denounced the encroachment of Canadian migration I feel it's very fitting to the story of the organization of the Metis. Also given the role of the church in the Red River Rebellion I was going to do the park in which the remains of Fort Garry were but I felt that would be odd given it would probably also be the Metis capital. My knowledge is pretty shallow so maybe someone could pick a better wonder.

I'm no historian bat after reading a biography on Louis Riel I think the Metis would make for great indigenous representation in the Modern Age. In Civ 5 and 6 we got the Inca and Aztecs with the same leaders and the Maya again. The only other difference is that the last two indigenous reps, Iroquois and Shoshone were swapped for the Cree and Mapuche. Almost half of the American reps in game are settler colonies (Canada, U.S, Brazil, Gran Colombia). I think it's time the Americas get more representation. The Metis would naturally be accompanied by Riel as a leader. The civ would benefit from maintaining diplomatic ties in order to build strong relationships as well as to build their economy. With their unique civic tree they'd be able to mobilize a military if faced with a particularly aggressive AI.
View attachment 704909View attachment 704910View attachment 704912View attachment 704913View attachment 704914
Nice design!!!

It was a bit tricky to find a fitting wonder. However given the Cathedral is the resting place of many of the members of the Red River Rebellion including Riel and his ancestors as well as well as where Riel first publicly denounced the encroachment of Canadian migration I feel it's very fitting to the story of the organization of the Metis. Also given the role of the church in the Red River Rebellion I was going to do the park in which the remains of Fort Garry were but I felt that would be odd given it would probably also be the Metis capital. My knowledge is pretty shallow so maybe someone could pick a better wonder.
Where I live in Edmonton, we are only a one hour drive away from Frog Lake, where the last battle of the 1885 Northwest Rebellion was fought (although, the leader at that battle was a Cree chieftain allied to Riel, not a Metis). There's a cenotaph at the current First Nation townsite to the battle.

Where I live in Edmonton, we are only a one hour drive away from Frog Lake, where the last battle of the 1885 Northwest Rebellion was fought (although, the leader at that battle was a Cree chieftain allied to Riel, not a Metis). There's a cenotaph at the current First Nation townsite to the battle.
I did want to keep the wonder more specific to the Metis. Natural Wonders are good but in 7 every civilization will have a Cultural Wonder unique to them that they unlock earlier and build quicker.

I could see the Metis coming back as a Cree analogue. Civ likes to do that where possible (Khmer -> Indonesia, Demark -> Norway, Austria -> Hungary, Huns -> Scythia, etc.).

I'm betting if we have a modern plains tribe, it will be the Lakota. They comfortably represent the largest amount and variety of regions as a sort of middle ground between the Metis/Cree (north), Comanche (south), and Shoshone (west). And as such they are perhaps the best "catch-all" modern civ if we end up getting Pueblo/Navajo -> Navajo/Apache in the southwest, and any sort of Haida/Tlingit progression in the PNW.

I could see the Metis coming back as a Cree analogue. Civ likes to do that where possible (Khmer -> Indonesia, Demark -> Norway, Austria -> Hungary, Huns -> Scythia, etc.).

I'm betting if we have a modern plains tribe, it will be the Lakota. They comfortably represent the largest amount and variety of regions as a sort of middle ground between the Metis/Cree (north), Comanche (south), and Shoshone (west). And as such they are perhaps the best "catch-all" modern civ if we end up getting Pueblo/Navajo -> Navajo/Apache in the southwest, and any sort of Haida/Tlingit progression in the PNW.
I like the Metis personally because you could have a civ that has two wildly different paths leading to it. You could have one that goes down the European route or the North American route. I think making us have to pick between tribes is kind of funny. Imagine if the game focused on the New World and the devs had 5 civilizations for Eurasia and had to choose whether they wanted to add Spain or Greece as their southern European representative.

The Metis were not a, "Plains tribe," though. They were a mixed heritage of mostly-Cree First Nations with French Voyageurs and were subsistance farmers, who only really hunted for the same filling out of their diet, sport, and tradeably furs White European/American pioneers in the area did, not as a main requirement to food accruement, and they're social structure was seignurial, not tribal or nomadic.

The Metis were not a, "Plains tribe," though. They were a mixed heritage of mostly-Cree First Nations with French Voyageurs and were subsistance farmers, who only really hunted for the same filling out of their diet, sport, and tradeably furs White European/American pioneers in the area did, not as a main requirement to food accruement, and they're social structure was seignurial, not tribal or nomadic.
You seem to know a lot about the Metis. How well do you think the concept represents them? Is there anything that feels like it was left out?

You seem to know a lot about the Metis. How well do you think the concept represents them? Is there anything that feels like it was left out?
I happen to know a lot of Metis - there's large number of them in Edmonton - though they're no longer in the cultural paradigm as in the OP, per se (most I've met no longer even speak French, despite usually still havng French names). I would say that, since the Buffalo Hunt for Metis was moreso for economic enrichment (the fur trade) than main subsistence (unlike Cree, Lakota, Shoshone, Cheyenne, Commanche, etc.) it should be more closely tied to the HBC Outpost. That comes to mind off the bat.

I happen to know a lot of Metis - there's large number of them in Edmonton - though they're no longer in the cultural paradigm as in the OP, per se (most I've met no longer even speak French, despite usually still havng French names). I would say that, since the Buffalo Hunt for Metis was moreso for economic enrichment (the fur trade) than main subsistence (unlike Cree, Lakota, Shoshone, Cheyenne, Commanche, etc.) it should be more closely tied to the HBC Outpost. That comes to mind off the bat.
Maybe to represent that make it so the Laws of the Buffalo Hunt Tradition has its yields split between gold and food? Or maybe make it so you have a chance of gaining fur instead of pemmican when using a Hunter charge?

Top Bottom