Creating Every Possible Civ that Can Fit into Civ VI

clapyourhands

Prince
Mathematically speaking, there are ~20 colors that the game currently utilizes to distinguish civs from one another. One (black) is reserved for city-states when used as a background, and two others (navy blue and dark teal) are somewhat hard to distinguish from one another if they share the same icon color. This leaves 19 color options for the icon, and 18 for the background, for a grand total of 342 possible combinations. Well, 341 once you discount barbarians. At a rate of 1 alt leader for every 8 civs, that also meant about 30 new alt leaders, leaving 311 new civs (it ended up being 309 new civs with 32 new alt leaders). So of course I thought, "309 civs? I've seen far more ideas than that on this forum, we could easily fill out this set with room to spare!" And then sought to start filling it out, with icons. Full-blown abilities and the like would have even more insanity than this was. Civs that already have a popular mod for them just have the name of the mod creator in place of the icon so as to not re-invent the wheel, but I also didn't want to use the icons without permission either. Feel free to check out the mods if you want to see those specific icons.

Spoiler Icon Table :

Things I've learned from this:

1. I was wrong, 309 is far too many. I hit the point of "I would be content if these were all the civs to ever be included in the franchise" somewhere a little after #100, thought I started grasping for straws at around ~#175, and really started grasping for straws around ~#250. I started creating lists of potential "if I run out of ideas civs" as I did my research, then ended up exhausting all of those as well and then some.

2. With that said, there were far more than 350 polities that could make interesting civs. The bigger issue was where to draw the line between polities that morphed into or were conquered by another, especially when from a modern viewpoint they're viewed in continuity. Things get even more complicated when you consider states of semi-independence, like vassals that were left to their own devices or intra-polities that retained autonomy for centuries but were never independent. A lot of the polities I ended up splitting into their own civs versus keeping as a cohesive, era-spanning one ended up being nearly arbitrary.

3. As a corollary to the above, the civs that had priority for alternate leaders were 1) vanilla civs, and 2) civs that represented either long periods of time or multiple different polities that were not split into their own civs. So the Mongols didn't get two leaders since many other khanates get their own representation, but Siam does because Ayutthaya and modern-era Siam are not given their own civs. It's not perfect, but with the allocated 30ish alt leader spots I tried to give each civ only 2 leaders at most.

4. Technically speaking there are hundreds of people groups and indigenous tribes that were left out. However, there's only so much you can do to distinguish dozens of hunter-gatherer cultures from each other with 4 uniques per civ. I elected to give each region of North America at least one if not two NA groups, even splitting some regions into subregions (Alaska, Pacific NA, coastal CA, inland CA, Southwest, Baja, etc...), each region of Australia an Aborigine group, and other continents representation of either their largest or most well-known groups.

5. As for modern nations, most regions have a modern representative, but similar to the last point there is only so much you can do gamewise to distinguish them. I tried to choose options that were either popular in mods, had something that might be interesting about them mechanically, or would cover a bit of the map that for whatever reason had no civ representing it. As a side note, if you were to color in a map with territorial ranges of each civ, there would be virtually no empty spots save for Antarctica, and even then that would be filled if you considered modern claims.

6. Many color combinations are, to be frank, quite ugly. There's nothing that can be done about this fact, though, as by the constraints of the proposal there must be a civ for every color combination, regardless of clashing. Additionally, some color combos are very harsh on the eyes or illegible in their usual tone and required either lightening or darkening in order to alleviate this while still staying in the range of their name.

7. Also color related, it is frankly impossible for every civ to have an ideal color combination in the absence of a jersey system. Of course this is a problem Firaxis has noted as the very reason the system was necessary, but it became painfully clear throughout this process. Once the reds/blues/yellows/whites/ started filling up, I started settling for maroon or pink for red; tan or brown for yellow; purple or teal for blue. Then those started running out of room, and around icon ~200 the color choices became near-meaningless. They tried to stay somewhat faithful if possible, but honestly no culture in their right mind would want Purple/Orange-Brown as their national colors unless its capital was Halloweentown (sorry, Palmyra).

8. In keeping with the Civ VI design philosophy the icons are as simple as possible, with a leaning towards plant and animal motifs. To keep things distinct I tried to keep lions, dragons, and eagles to a minimum (ie: for Austria I went for the edelweiss instead). For a specific outlier, the dragon was far too iconic for Bhutan, but I was unable to simplify it for the icon; if it were to appear in Civ VI as a city-state or the like, I'd expect a still-full-bodied, but stylized version; I just don't have the skill to draw it that way.

You could squeeze in maybe ~25 more civs/leaders if you separate navy blue from regular blue and utilize the combos with black that the CS's don't already use, and maybe a few more by separating the hues of gray (though the light grays are hard to read with the light colors, and the same for the dark grays and dark colors). But honestly there isn't much to represent other than, as I said before, various indigenous groupings and ancient cultures.

Spoiler Icon Origins :

Red
Switzerland: Not mine
Denmark: From the Vikings scenario
Soviet Union: Flag
Spain: NA
Moldavia: Coat of arms
Albania: Coat of arms
Mexico: From Mexico City CS
Moor: From the Black Plague scenario
Nepal: Flag
Korea: NA
Maori: NA
Indonesia: NA
Morocco (Alt): Flag
Spain (Alt): NA
England: NA
Yugoslavia: Coat of arms
Murri: From the Outback Tycoon scenario (New South Wales, it's a kookaburra)
Barbarians: NA

Maroon
Mongolia: NA
Armenia: Not mine
Chola: From the Nirvana scenario
Colombia: Condor
Normandy: Not mine
Mali: NA
Portugal: Rooster
Morocco: Flag
Ragusa: Coat of arms
Greece (Alt): NA
America (Alt): NA
Acadia: Flag of Acadiana
Hawaii (Alt): Hibiscus
Burgundy: From the Yonne coat of arms
Malta: Coat
Goth: From a gothic brooch
Portugal (Alt): Rooster
Hun: Civ V

Pink
Genoa: Genoa lighthouse
Haida: Salmon/whale
France (Alt): NA
Navarre: Coat of arms
Aram: Modern flag
Latin: Coat of arms
Amis: Bamboo
Tatar: Modern flag
Faroe: Ram
Sicily: Wheat triskelion
Powhatan: Squash/pumpkin
Comanche: Modern flag
Hawaii: Hibiscus
Byzantium (Alt): Labarum
England (Alt): NA
Poland: NA
Etruria: Pendant motif
Beothuk: Iron tool design

Tan
Wales: From Cardiff CS
Scythia: NA
Poland (Alt): NA
Tongva: Mission bell
Navajo: Modern flag
Karenni: Modern flag
Yaqui: Flag
Rwanda: Coat of arms
Bosnia: Coat of arms
Wabanaki: Dreamcatcher
Talamanca: Toucan
Assam: Figurine
Sassanid: Not mine
Minoa: Motif from 'Prince of Lilies'
Deseret: Beehive
Philistine: Fly
Nubia: NA
Iroquois: Four Direction symbol

Gold
Kongo: NA
Pueblo: Zia
Kongo (Alt): NA
Siam: Not mine
Serbia: Double-headed eagle
Brunei: National emblem
Jamaica: Pineapple
Brazil (Alt): NA
South Africa: Coat of arms
Xiongnu: 'Stag with eaglehead' figurine
Kievan Rus: National emblem
China (Alt): NA
Muisca: Parrot
Khotan: Silk butterfly
Laos: White parasol
Russia (Alt): NA
Nubia (Alt): NA
Russia: NA

Orange
Anangu: Uluru
Songhai: Not mine
Bahrain: Flag
Kyrgyz: Flag
Sri Lanka: Flag
Bhutan: Flag
Ireland: From Armagh CS
Cherokee: Modern flag
Netherlands: NA
Miskito: Coat of arms
Netherlands (Alt): NA
Madagascar: Merina Kingdom flag
Maratha: Figurine
Pala: From the Nirvana scenario
Aragon: Coat of arms
Novgorod: Stag
Noongar: Snake design
Belgium: From Brussels CS

Copper
Canton: Flag of Guangzhou
Italy: Not mine
Pontus: Unknown, from Total War
Siam (Alt): Not mine
Cornwall: From Duke of Cornwall flag, simplified
Sikh: From religious symbol
Arabia: NA
Chumash: From Chumash rock art
Khmer: NA
Uzbek: Cotton
Funj: Branding mark
Phyrgia: Phyrgian art
Champa: Plumeria
Muscogee: Eye-in-hand symbol
Arevaci: Relic
Sao: Simplification of horse-riding figure
Hyksos: Art motif
Dene: Bear paw

Light Green
Mossi: Mossi antelope mask
Numidia/Berber: Not mine
Tunis: Tunis Coat of arms
Zulu: NA
Brazil: NA
Oman: From Muscat CS
Zapotec: Relic
Tarascan: Glyph
Tupi: Feather
Sami: Sami sun symbol
Azerbaijan: National emblem
Lesotho: Flag
Guanche: Figurine
Burundi: Flag
Lombard: Flag
Haiti: Coat of arms
Caral: Caral site pattern
Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe bird

Dark Green
Hungary: NA
Yucatan: Yucca
Lithuania: Horse from coat of arms
Benin: Leopard mask
Australia: NA
Ethiopia: Not mine
Arabia (Alt): NA
Hausa: Hausa people emblem
Livonia: From the Poland scenario
Chuvash: Flag
Iceni: Triskelion
Olmec: Olmec head
Nakh: Nakh carpet pattern
New Zealand: Kiwi
China: NA
Abkhazia: Flag
Caddo: Modern flag
Larrakia: Modern flag

Blue
Norway: NA
Castile: From the Black Death scenario
Iceland: Not mine
France: NA
Philippines (Alt): Not mine
Sumeria: NA
Montenegro: Coat of arms
Burma: Not mine
Cree: NA
Mapuche: NA
Ghaznavid: From the Nirvana Scenario
Greenland: Coat of arms
Iga: Shuriken
Kimberley: Baobab
America: NA
Khazar: Proposed modern flag
Cuba: Phyrgian cap on coat of arms
Prussia: Eagle

Light Blue
Chile: Flag
Ainu: Flag
Japan (Alt): NA
Argentina: From Buenos Aires CS
Sweden: NA
Boer: Wagon
Tuva: Kyzyl flag, simplified
Burma (Alt): NA
Nicaragua: Flag
Sweden (Alt): NA
Ajuran: Gazelle horns
Mari: Mari lion
Harappa: Harappa script
Seulucid: Not mine
Greece: NA
Finland: Coat of arms
Modoc: Wapato leaf
Amalfi: Amalfi lemon

Teal
Kazakh: Kazakhstan flag
Aztec: NA
Panama: Coat of arms
Yupik: Yupik mask
Philippines: NA
Ethiopia (Alt): NA
Galicia: Modern flag
Samoa: Crux
Yakut: Proposed modern flag
Rapa Nui: From Rapa Nui CS
Metis: Canadian Metis flag
Kalinago: Seashell
Taino: Not mine
India (Alt): NA
Mercia: White wyvern
Sibir: Siberian Tatar flag
Calusa: Alligator
Tlingit: Totem head

Dark Teal
Moravia: Coat of arms
Vietnam: Chim Lac
Swahili: Not mine
Egypt: NA
Gaul: Not mine
Arakan: Rakhine state seal
Akkad: Not mine
Maya (Alt): From Palenque CS
Maya: From Palenque CS
Vietnam (Alt): Chim Lac
Pandya: Two fish symbol
Babylon: From Babylon CS
Mughal: Ashoka chakra
Egypt (Alt): NA
Taiwan: Flag
Bavaria: Coat of arms
Cucuteni: Art motif
Oyo: Yoruba Opon Ifa board

Magenta
Persia: NA
Sardinia: Coat of arms
Persia (Alt): NA
Guarani: Modern flag
Buganda: Coat of arms
Tahiti: French Polynesia flag
Cuman: Coat of arms
Kenya: Flag
Costa Rica: Tree frog
Parthia: Assur temple art
Hiva: Hiva mask
Tonga: Tonga headwear
Fuegian: Sea lion
Byzantium: Labarum
Angola: Angola sun
Kunin: From Outback scenario (wombat)
Bactria: From Hephthalite tamga
Chimu: Fabric pattern

Purple:
Frisia: Flag
Korea (Alt): NA
Kuninda: Triratna, on coins
Khitan: Pagoda of Tianning Temple
Rome: NA
Jimma: Oromo flag
Saba: Sabaean inscription
Nri: Palm frond
Rome (Alt): NA
Sulu: Flag, simplified
Phoenicia: NA
India: NA
Iroquois (Alt): Modern flag
Malaysia: Not mine
Iroquois: Modern flag
Mycenae: Mycenaean octopus
Palmyra: Gazelle
Ryuku: National emblem

White
Canada: NA
Japan: NA
Genoa: Coat of arms
Austria: Edelweiss
Papal States: Coat of arms
Georgia: NA
Luba: Figurine
Saudi: Flag
Ottoman: NA
Scotland: NA
Seleucid: Not mine
Inuit: Inuksuk
Texas: Bull with lone star
Venice: Venetian lion
Assyria: Not mine
Brittany: Flag
California: Bear
Botswana: Zebra

Gray
Bulgaria: From Preslav CS
Timurid: Flag
Romania: Eagle
Manchuria: Imperial Seal
Bohemia: Coat of arms (lion tails)
Manx: Coat of arms
Ottoman (Alt): NA
Afghanistan: From Kabul CS
Israel: Star of David
Uyghur: Emblem, simplified
Dakehl: Beaver
Tibet: Not mine
Frank: From Black Plague scenario
Vandal: Unknown, from Total War
Pirate: Jolly Roger
Elam: Dove relic
German: NA

Brown
Ashanti: From Kumasi CS
Nabatea: From design on tomb
Palawa: Tasmanian devil
Epirus: Unknown, from Total War
Inca: NA
Northumbria: Coat of arms
Hittite: From Hattusa CS
Toltec: Modern flag
Bornu: Kanem flag
Tehuelche: Modern flag
Illyria: Flag
Shoshone: Civ V
Lydia: Coin face
Punt: Proposed hut design
Mississippi: From Cahokia CS
Inca (Alt): NA
Germany (Alt): NA
Blackfoot: Buffalo

Conclusion: In terms of visual clarity the game can support over 300 distinct civs. For the sake of quality, it really shouldn't get anywhere near that.

This really is impressive, I probably would've struggled with getting near 300 different civ icons and color combinations! As you've mentioned I'm sure you've gotten close to 400 if you included some more like Choctaw and Dahomey but I certainly couldn't blame you for not doing so since you've done more than enough as it is! Thanks for all the hard work and for the explanations behind each icon, its pretty helpful!

Also, thanks for teaching me some new things. I didn't think that the rooster was a popular symbol for Portugal or that there is a proposed new Yakut flag.

Last edited:
So Firaxis has their work cut out from them!

Seriously though - I hope they see this and take some inspiration from this for some cool-new choices for any they have yet to decide on (either for DLC or a 3rd Xpack). This is amazing.

Wow, that looks like it took a long time to do. Impressive indeed!

Seems a very time-consuming way of saying the Romani shouldn't be in the game... ;)

Seriously though, quite impressive. You aren't kidding about grasping at straws haha. I actually think that we will ultimately have a higher alternate leader ratio than what currently exists, given how easily developed and obvious an alt leaders pack seems. But overall, even sixty civs seems an extremely generous estimate, and this only makes it more clear how a rough admissions line needs to be drawn, and past a certain point the choices between equivalents just don't seem worth the resources.

Also, the devs need to change Indonesia's colors. The Maori are literally right there next to them. On the map.

Finally there's hope. I hope the developers find some inspiration here. Many of these civs I have never heard of before.

Top Bottom