1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Modder's Guide to Civ4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by WildWeazel, Oct 24, 2005.

1. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

The last we were told was "late January or early February." That's already past, so we're just waiting to hear from Firaxis.

2. hp-p00nst3r

hp-p00nst3r Chieftain

The 3DSMax 7 Exporter for Civ4 is now out, you should consider trying it out and modify the guide as needed.

3. WildWeazel

I've been meaning to get back into Civ4, but I haven't had the time. This guide isn't nearly as thorough as I had meant it to be. Hopefully I can do some major updates soon to bring it up to date.

4. WildWeazel

:bump:

As you can see, I have utterly failed to keep this thread up-to date, or even complete the sections that I had begun. I rarely play Civ4 these days, because I spend my game time modding Civ3. Thus I am in no place to continue with this guide. However I feel that it would be nice to have a single thread with an overview of each aspect of Civ4 modding and plenty of links to the most helpful and informative tutorials, etc. Basically, a place where anyone can look to find what they need to know about modding.
    So, since I'm not the one to compile such information, I would like to ask for contributions from those who are currently active in this forum. If anyone would like to post some information, be it a few links or a detailed essay, I will gladly edit it into my opening posts with credit to the author/provider.

5. ulysse

ulysse Chieftain

Hi,

Thanks for this thread. I hoped that finally I found something that would help me to start modding and "Dale's World Builder Manual" really looked so. Unfortuantely, the link to http://members.dodo.com.au/~thesdale/Manual.zip does not work, I receive the following message:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /~thesdale/Manual.zip on this server.

Does anybody have that file?

Thanks,

Ulysse

6. feldmarshall

feldmarshall Dictator

the site is blocked here, can you post it elsewhere?

7. LyricalAssassin

LyricalAssassin Chieftain

I need help. i have recently made several mods, but they are taking up space on my hard drive. can you tell me how to delete world builder files from my computer?

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Worldbuilder files need in most times less than 1 MB.
    If you are having problems with disc space, you should look for something else which could clutter your HDD.

9. Zmon

Zmon Chieftain

The cheatcode for the world builder didn't work at all. Help please :confused: btw im useing bts that may be the reason right?

10. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I think at some point Firaxis unlocked everything so the cheat code isn't needed.

11. Looking2Mod

Looking2Mod Chieftain

Hi,

This thread's pretty old, but I figured I'd post this here. I'm looking to do some serious modding to Civ4, and to, quite frankly, gut the game quite a bit. My question is, are there XML files for things like the city screen or does that kind of thing come in another format?

Thanks!

12. isenchine

isenchine Empress

Python: Assets/Python/Screens/CvMainInterface.py

13. Jaxx

Jaxx Chieftain

Hi, I don't know where to begin. I've been reading and experimenting with no success with what I want to do. I would like to know where to begin modding to have an "Auto End Turn" option put into the game. I have seen it in the BUG options in Rise of Mankind A New Dawn and Caveman to Cosmos. I downloaded BUG 4.4 and installed it in the mod folder its the mod I would like to add the auto end turn option to.

Where and how do I go about this?

14. Looking2Mod

Looking2Mod Chieftain

I think you want to go to options, in the game tab, the third option down says "wait at end of turn". Uncheck the box and the turn auto-ends as soon as you've chosen your cities' production and moved all your units.

15. Phantom77

Phantom77 Chieftain

Is there a way for me to edit the Caravel's Unit Info in its XML document, to enable it to also transport Settlers and Workers, along with the special-type units?

I'd like to be able to do so, without having to change Settler and Worker to special type units. And when I do add them to the Caravel's Cargo line in its XML document, do I make a new, separate line within the tags; one line below the Special Units, for Settler, then below that, a third line for Worker?

Thank you for anyone's response. :)

16. isenchine

isenchine Empress

I don't think that you can add another definition to the tag <SpecialCargo>.

On the other hand, if you feel like Settlers and Workers should be transported as non-military units, it's not so bad to include them as 'SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE'.

The only problem that I see is that the Caravel has that special ability to travel in rival territory (bRivalTerritory), which I always found a bit awkward. I guess it was meant for overall exploration but then it would mean you could cross foreign territory with settlers without open borders agreement.