The Norwegian Ethnic group in Phoenatica

Originally posted by Homie
Although I LOVE a big and powerful navy, we play on a map were the navy is not wise to prioritize. Sorry to burst your bubble guys.

WHAT??!! A map were the navy is not a priority!!! Thats not true!!! yore lying!!!:) No really if we have a navy (not necessarily a big one) we could extend our reach alot. I mean how easy is it to attack India or England witch are on the other side of the world.:viking:

There will be a firaxian chat at 4 pm eastern time.(That is -5 GMT)
on Friday, 14.06.02. So I encourage the Vikings(that's us) to attend. I for one will mention that the longboat/longship should be the Viking UU, do you agree or do you like the Berzerk better.

I don´t know what the berserk is supposed to replace! The most realistic part would be a replacement swordsman. Perhaps something like an immortal. 4.1.2 or something. Or a 2.1.1 warrior?

It should be the longship. The berzerk was a very unique and dangerous individual but there just weren't a whole lot of them. The longship was hugely implemented and incredibly successful at what it was designed to do. Here's the problem though - it wasn't a sea fighter. It was designed to be fast and get places where large numbers of troops could do damage on land and then get away before retaliation could be organized. Maybe make a very fast galley?

Yes, and I was thinking maybe it could traverse sea squares(they did reach North America. New Foundland in Canada is the scientists best guess. Hundreds of years before columbus)

Originally posted by Shaitan
Maybe make a very fast galley?

I have said it before and I will say it again: Viking longships appered around 800 AD and galleys was much earlier (acient times I think). Allthough galley looks like longships they are not the same;) . My suggestion is a ocean-going ship that replace the Caravel.....or something:) :viking:

There were known berserks in the viking society. They suddenly got into berserk mode(rage) and started destroying things and men alike in its way. This berserk rage could be triggered by many things.

Originally posted by Major Geuvara
I have said it before and I will say it again: Viking longships appered around 800 AD and galleys was much earlier (acient times I think). Allthough galley looks like longships they are not the same;) . My suggestion is a ocean-going ship that replace the Caravel.....or something:) :viking:
How could I have made such an error? I shal flaggelate myself with a wet noodle. :cry:

The longship was the predominant vessel at the time of the Great Army. Danish incursions into the Brittish Isles as well as the assault on France that resulted in Normandy were direct results of the prowess of the vikings and the great advantage of the longships.

Originally posted by Shaitan

How could I have made such an error? I shal flaggelate myself with a wet noodle. :cry:

You should do that Shaitan you deserve it!;)........:viking:

Let me clarify this for all that don´t know it allready. Vikings never used horns on their helmets!

EDIT: WOHOOOO 100 posts yehaa I am warlord nanananan

Originally posted by IceEye
Let me clarify this for all that don´t know it allready. Vikings never used horns on their helmets!

In the screenshots the berserk dont seem to have horns:)
:viking:-horns

Nice to see that firaxis has taken their history lessons!

Major, I disagree with your statements on the Longship. The galley is from the ancient times, so is the longship(although late ancient times. The longship was used during the Viking period ca.900 - 1200, this is before mediavel ages.). So it would be correct to have the longship replace the galley as the UU. Also, by the time caravels was around, the longship was obsolete, the Caravel is a more advanced ship than the longship.

And Shaitan, giving the longship the ability to cross sea squares does not seem (to me at least) to be more of a game-breaker than giving the longship more speed.

Major, I disagree with your statements on the Longship. The galley is from the ancient times, so is the longship(although late ancient times. The longship was used during the Viking period ca.900 - 1200, this is before mediavel ages.). So it would be correct to have the longship replace the galley as the UU. Also, by the time caravels was around, the longship was obsolete, the Caravel is a more advanced ship than the longship.

And Shaitan, giving the longship the ability to cross sea squares does not seem (to me at least) to be more of a game-breaker than giving the longship more speed.

In my history book the Mediavel ages is from around 300 AD to 1300 AD then came the renaissance. While ancient times is 4000 BC-300 AD (the fall of west-rome) . And I think Shaitan was talking about OCEAN-going galley, witch would be a game- breaker. :viking:

EDIT: but he did talk about SEA-going galleys, oh Shaitan what has become of you??:lol:

Originally posted by Major Geuvara

In my history book the Mediavel ages is from around 300 AD to 1300 AD then came the renaissance. While ancient times is 4000 BC-300 AD (the fall of west-rome) . And I think Shaitan was talking about OCEAN-going galley, witch would be a game- breaker. :viking:

EDIT: but he did talk about SEA-going galleys, oh Shaitan what has become of you??:lol:

You're right, mediavel age started earlier than what I have always thought. My history book says it started at 500 AD and lasted until 1500. It also divides the age into three parts, I guess I've always thought of the late-mediavel age(1300-1500) as the real mediavel ages, with knights, castles, honour and such.

Still, the caravel belongs in the age after the mediavel, when they started travelling vast distances, doesn't it? You know, the age of world discovery, or maybe I'm wrong.

I still see the longship as a more primitive ship, great for its time though,but it did come some time before caravel, didn't?

I still see the longship as a more primitive ship, great for its time though,but it did come some time before caravel, didn't?

You are right about this. When Columbus "discovered" America he had 3 caravels and that was in 1492. My point: Since there is no ship unit between galleys and caravels it would have been better to let the longship replace the caravel intead of galleys.

Anyway, I think this discussion is a bit strange. Firaxis has allready started working on the berserk (or whatever they will call it) I dont think they will change to the longship just because we are whining about it. :viking:

Top Bottom