The Numidian Cavalry

noto

Warlord
Ok, so we can all build praetorians or immortals and go bonk some heads. But has anyone figured out how to use numidian cavalry? I like Carthage's traits, and it has a great UB. The UU, however, is difficult to use, for me. You see, first of all, researching horseback riding takes an eternity. Not only that, but all you get out of it are strength 5 units that, unlike axemen, can't earn the CR promotion. Thus they are weaker than axemen against archers. Sure, if the AI was gaurding their cities with axes or swords the numidian cavalry would do a terrific job...but I just find that they die against archers too frequently. The standard ol swordsman seems to do a better city taking job. So...has anyone found uses for the numidian cavalry? Has anyone found a good strategy for them?

Use them for an early war to get some nice promotions. With a stable they can start with flanking 2-combat 1 (remember they get flanking 1 for free). Hannibal is charismatic so promotions come cheap.

Then after your first war these guys promote to MONSTER cavalry...

yeah, just after I posted I remembered they get flanking one...so even though they're weak, they have a chance to withdraw and fight another day.

They don't get countered as heavy by spears(come out with shock with stables) and can beat up on axemen making them perfect for a fast war against an opponent with metal units.

They were never meant to capture cities, you're using them incorrectly, It's like using a Stack of Dog Soldiers to attack a archer defended city. They're basically anti-melee units, use them to take out melee units and their obvious other ability to Flank.

They are pretty good at taking out cities in mp where people don't always use archers though...

They were never meant to capture cities, you're using them incorrectly, It's like using a Stack of Dog Soldiers to attack a archer defended city. They're basically anti-melee units, use them to take out melee units and their obvious other ability to Flank.

They are actually quite good for taking out pre-longbow cities. Give 60% of your num cavs flank II and use them in concentrated manner to soften up defence. With flank II it means you (1) at most will only lose half of these suicide bombers; (2) because you're not suceptible to first strikes you will very likely injure the defenders. Since they are 2-movement units it mean you can launch a surprise attack without giving your opponent too much time to whip defenders. Just try to do it as early as possible to avoid seeing too many cities with wall or 40% cultural defence.

I think NC are very strong units. They don't just start with flanking 1, they also get a base withdrawal of 20% compared to the HA's 10%. This means that with a single promotion, you have a unit that survives 50% of the time in an attack no matter how bad the odds are.

With a built in 50% against melee, spears are not so fearsome anymore, and axes and swords fall before them in great #s. They are like early mobile crossbows.

I find the Numidian Cavalry to be excellent at taking cities, and I would rather have them than axes or swords. The only unit that really counters them is a Horse Archer.

Combine this unit with spies to drop city defenses, and you can roll over an opponent extremely quickly.

The bonus against melee units contradicts the withdrawel chance. The better the odds of wining the worser the odds of withdrawing.

When attacking I prefer to emphasie their withdrawel chance first by sending the flanking 2 promoted units to attack cities with defence bounses without using seige weapons. The bonus against melee is usually useless against cites with defence bonuses. This garantees they will lose and likley withdraw. This attack softens the enemy up while costing me few if any casulties. Then i deploy the shock promoted units for the purpose of actually winning.

When attacking I prefer to emphasie their withdrawel chance first by sending the flanking 2 promoted units to attack cities with defence bounses without using seige weapons. The bonus against melee is usually useless against cites with defence bonuses. This garantees they will lose and likley withdraw. This attack softens the enemy up while costing me few if any casulties. Then i deploy the shock promoted units for the purpose of actually winning.

:thumbsup:

Numidian Calvary are actually one of those rare examples of something that doesn't look too good on paper, but in the game, they are awesome. When every single one of your attacking units has at least a 50% chance to live and you have a Medic III GG right on top of them, you feel like the Hunnic tribes marching on Europe. Also, with a stable you will get an additional .5 strength making a great unit even greater. Overall, with a nice trait synergy of Cha/Fin, a lucrative extra trade route from the Cothon, and the awesome NC, Carthage is one of the best civilizations in the game IMO.

Can't seem to get the withdrawal chance through my head.

When they have a higher chance of winning they have a lower chance of withdrawing. Does this mean they don't have a 50% chance of withdrawing every time?

Can't seem to get the withdrawal chance through my head.

When they have a higher chance of winning they have a lower chance of withdrawing. Does this mean they don't have a 50% chance of withdrawing every time?

They have a 50% chance of withdrawing when they lose the battle. The displayed odds of withdrawl also take into account the possibility that the unit will win, which detracts from the withdrawl chance because the unit won't withdraw from a battle that it wins.

The displayed withdrawl chance is the probability that the unit will both lose the battle and withdraw.

Right, so 80% chance of winning 20% withdrawal would mean.

80% chance of winning the fight.

20% chance of losing and withdrawing to fight another day?

You don't retreat if you win. If your unit is about to die, chance for withdrawal.

Oh, and chariots have 10%, horse archers have 20% or whatever.

TRJS:
Right, so 80% chance of winning 20% withdrawal would mean.

80% chance of winning the fight.

20% chance of losing and withdrawing to fight another day?

That 80%/20% example would only occur if a unit had a 100% withdrawal chance.

If a unit has X% chance of winning a battle and Y% chance of withdrawing, then,

Actual withdrawal chance = (100 - X)*Y/100

So if a unit has an 80% chance of winning a battle and a natural 20% withdrawal rate;

Actual withdrawal chance = (100 - 80)*20/100 = 4%

That 80%/20% example would only occur if a unit had a 100% withdrawal chance.

If a unit has X% chance of winning a battle and Y% chance of withdrawing, then,

Actual withdrawal chance = (100 - X)*Y/100

So if a unit has an 80% chance of winning a battle and a natural 20% withdrawal rate;

Actual withdrawal chance = (100 - 80)*20/100 = 4%

So this means that each battle they would have 80% chance of winning and 4% chance of withdrawing so 16% chance of dying?

Almost getting this.

that's it. Withdraws apply only if the unit would die, so of course, the withdrawal rate decreases when the dying rate decreases. But all in all, the survival rate increases.

I always give them Flanking 2.
After that the 1s I use as scouts get the reduced movement cost and Sentry promotions, the battlefield cavalry get Combat I and Shock.
Given that you need horses and quite a few techs to get them I don't usually get them early enough to use them for a rush strategy but they are still a pretty useful unit IMO.

Top Bottom