The only problem I ever had with these games..

Yzman

Deity
is that they seem too much like a competition and not enough like real coexisting. Now, I don't really know how you could do this without making the game unfun, but it would be interesting. I felt that SMAC kind of got this right, the planetary council really made it seem like more like the countries living. The UN in this game tries to do this, but it comes way too late with too little options. Now that is only one solution, but does anyone understand what I am saying?

Yzman said:
is that they seem too much like a competition and not enough like real coexisting. Now, I don't really know how you could do this without making the game unfun, but it would be interesting. I felt that SMAC kind of got this right, the planetary council really made it seem like more like the countries living. The UN in this game tries to do this, but it comes way too late with too little options. Now that is only one solution, but does anyone understand what I am saying?

I do understand, yet you're wishing for something which others are already complaining about. ;) Many players commented that the AI were too passive and wanted more competition from it.

About the UN: I like to see it expanded, currently it looks a little unpolished. But I', glad that it's implemented already.

Just setting "always peace" would still make you compete for cultural, space race, and diplomatic victories. However, if you turned on "always peace" and turned off those victory types, you should get the kind of experience you're looking for.

Might be fun.

I think I get what you are saying.

Multiplayer with people you know might give some of this feeling ? You would know who you are playing with, and you know they all play for fun.
(A multiplayer game with unkown people always end in fierce competition).

Yzman said:

I think this has a lot to do with how the victory conditions work, only 1 player/team can trigger them and then is it game over.

So if you want a less competive game could you mod the victory conditions so that they are no longer competive, like:

-everyone who build the spaceship before 2050 wins, nomather who builded it before him.
-everyone with 3 legendary culture cities wins, no mather the rest.
-everyone with a score above X wins.

Or to make the game even less competive, allow a victory condition that requires different players to work togetter, like:

new UN victory: If no single nation is poor, destroyed or suppressive. if every city on earth has access to health care and education(university and hospital build), then do you win. This shall actually encourage the rich and strong nations to help the poor, so they can win. You could even allow people to build charity workers, who can build building in poor nations their cities.

Competition is fairly historically accepted part of the evolution of Civilization. It is what it is. You can have peace if you want. But this is a game, and in all game someone must win... Unlike starcraft there is no ally for the win.

Astax said:
Competition is fairly historically accepted part of the evolution of Civilization. It is what it is. You can have peace if you want. But this is a game, and in all game someone must win... Unlike starcraft there is no ally for the win.

I recently played in a MP game that ended when quite everyone formed a permanent alliance. This gave them all a domination victory.

I think you might be on to something here. Picture a UN that can issue trade embargoes, fine civs for not following globally accepted policies, tax the wealthy to give to the poor, etc. Then picture that there is a National Wonder that is now a pre-req for the UN...something like a foriegn embasy or something. This wonder allows each civ to cooperate in other ways like pooling resources on a research project or something. Maybe it would allow a few cool thing in a single player game, but a whole lot of expanded options for multi-player cooperation.

If you had this, and the option to disable it, I think you might have what you are looking for while not upsetting others too much (they can disable it after all).

What do you think?

I'd love to see a game where there are advantages to being peaceful... but Civ 4 has improved in making it so war only has so many advantages.

Maybe for Civ 6 ;) I'd love to see this though.

It's funny, SMAC still has yet to be surpassed or even equalled in so many ways... I did like some aspects of MOO3, but SMAC still has the diplomacy/civics/factions done just right...

Venger

Top Bottom