The return of a Nationality like mechanics in CIV7

BuchiTaton

Emperor
Nationality for your citizens used to be a culture and loyalty related element in CIV3 and CIV4, the disappearance of this and the emergence of Great Works tell us about the preference for a design in which the player can gain some reward to max-min rather than one that obliges you to manage (CIV is far from be a simulation game). To fit this design philosophy a Nationality-like parameter for your citizens could come back in CIV7 as source of unique bonus or even techs, civics, luxuries and infrastructures. So how it works?

> Citizen Identity Parameters: Citizens as the measure of population would have three Identity parameters, Religion (self explained), Profession (basically their social class like labourers, warriors, academics, etc.) and Heritage (the equivalent of Nationality, Ethnicity or Culture).

***I did not use Nationality because generates confusion about "who own the citizen", neither Ethnicity because could turn to be a very polemic word, and of course not Culture because it already play a role on CIV.***

> Wining the Benefits: At start each main/playable and minor civs would have a Heritage (equivalent of ethnicity) that by default would have the status of Official for that civ. When a Heritage have the status of official in your civ it will gives you their exclusive Tradition a game element that provide some tech/civic like bonus included the acces to unique units, infrastructures and luxuries.
To gain more Traditions you need to achieve that more citizens with some Heritage reach the Official status by presenting some % of your population. Also the max number of Official Heritages that could be on your empire would be related to your selection of Policies (of course some would be pro or anti diversity).

> Many Paths: To gain more citizens there are many roads, that by the way are related to the different victory types.
- Growth, the proper use of civics, techs and districs/infractructure would promote the prosperity of the citizens of the desired identity.
- Immigration, is a more dinamic and competitive option (similar to the Great People appealing) you can attract many citizens from other civs, so you gain and they lost.
- Conquest, simple use of the force to take over those citizens on their own territory, at some point they would see the benefits of your glorious empire.
- Assimilation, this is about the oposite, it could be better for you to convert their Religion and Tradition to your main, so there should be a way for that.

> Minimum Cons: Like said before the idea is not to be an anoying mechanic to manage, but still each of the identity parameters could has some consequence when the motive is too obvious.
- DIPLOMACY: Negative actions like declare war would cause the reduction of the support from the citizens with enemy Heritage, therefore the profit they generate. For example as Sweden your "Polish Heritage" citizens would not like you declaring war on their ancestor homeland.
- GOVERNMENT: Choose Communism could make you popular with Labourer citizens but will stagnant Merchants citizens.

> Not Just One Right Option: Gain the most Traditions sound as the best choice but there must be something to gain from the opposite, so it would be that each Tradition have different levels of benefit making, for example have eight traditions will give you only their level 1 while have just one tradition would provide the level 4.

> Unique Flavor, An example of a Tradition, this time the American tradition "Second Amendment":
- Level 1, +5 loyalty
"Recognize citizen's right to defend themselves gives them faith in their government"
- Level 2, Militia +3 combat strength
"Own weapons to defend your nation's way of life"
- Level 3, +1 gold and +1 production from the (factory produced) strategic resource Guns.
"The guns culture create a very profitable market to exploit"
- Level 4, -2 queue turns to train any land combat unit.
"Your population is partialy trained to be mobilized"

Last edited:
Very interesting suggestion, BuchiTaton.

I also would like to see "nationality" back. Nota only it brought an aditional flavour to the game but also it could bring about interesting game dynamics.

I like those Ideas, and good notion with calling it "Heritage", instead of the other tricky terms.

Some while ago I posted a Thread looking for Ideas for a Culture Mechanic for my 4XP Mod (Link), and those Ideas of yours comply with what I was looking for and my Vision of how a Cultural Diffusion System could work. Is it ok if I can use the term "Heritage" and take some Inspiration from your other Ideas to include them in my Mod? You can also expand on your Ideas if you want to support the Mod. (I'm always open for Ideas for my Mod, it's hard to design all those things in details, especially if it involves unique bonuses for each faction for example)

I like those Ideas, and good notion with calling it "Heritage", instead of the other tricky terms.

Some while ago I posted a Thread looking for Ideas for a Culture Mechanic for my 4XP Mod (Link), and those Ideas of yours comply with what I was looking for and my Vision of how a Cultural Diffusion System could work. Is it ok if I can use the term "Heritage" and take some Inspiration from your other Ideas to include them in my Mod? You can also expand on your Ideas if you want to support the Mod. (I'm always open for Ideas for my Mod, it's hard to design all those things in details, especially if it involves unique bonuses for each faction for example)
Sure, no problem. It would be an honor if some of this ideas are usefull for your Mod.
I dont really know about the modding capabilities of CIV6 but if something like this is possible I would love to try it.:D

About more ideas for others civs traditions I would also like to see suggestions from other people with this general design. :) I have a few but I need to define them better.

Sure, no problem. It would be an honor if some of this ideas are usefull for your Mod.
I dont really know about the modding capabilities of CIV6 but if something like this is possible I would love to try it.:D

About more ideas for others civs traditions I would also like to see suggestions from other people with this general design. :) I have a few but I need to define them better.
Thank you @BuchiTaton! And Yes, it's indeed possible, I'm going to change the Loyalty System as a City Transition Mechanic anyway, so incorporating that in a culture diffusion mechanic (which I think gonna improve the Culture Victory too), with the possibility of Cities transitioning ownership in a more natural and realistic way, would fit that. I like the Loyalty System, but it feels too gamey for me, and it solves the issues it is supposed to solve only to a degree, so changing it to a Stability System, with City Internal Issues as stability threats instead of external ones, which opens the door for better Rebellions/Civil-War/Free Cities, would be better I think.

What do you think should cause a City to change ownership? maybe having in a City a dominant "Heritage" folk that isn't your Civ's Heritage, and that City also suffers from Stability Issues, so there is a chance for that City transitioning to another Civ that grows the more the stability drops? only in Dark Ages? or only in Rebellion/Civil-War Times?

Thank you @BuchiTaton! And Yes, it's indeed possible, I'm going to change the Loyalty System as a City Transition Mechanic anyway, so incorporating that in a culture diffusion mechanic (which I think gonna improve the Culture Victory too), with the possibility of Cities transitioning ownership in a more natural and realistic way, would fit that. I like the Loyalty System, but it feels too gamey for me, and it solves the issues it is supposed to solve only to a degree, so changing it to a Stability System, with City Internal Issues as stability threats instead of external ones, which opens the door for better Rebellions/Civil-War/Free Cities, would be better I think.

What do you think should cause a City to change ownership? maybe having in a City a dominant "Heritage" folk that isn't your Civ's Heritage, and that City also suffers from Stability Issues, so there is a chance for that City transitioning to another Civ that grows the more the stability drops? only in Dark Ages? or only in Rebellion/Civil-War Times?
Well I was thinking on a less punishing system for the average player, but of course in a MOD players want more challenges. So I guess a mix of identity but allways triggered by negative city issues and represive card policies. Maybe add that if a city with X Heritage mayority revolt others cities with % of the same also rises up.

Top Bottom