The save file you have selected is protected... Possible Fix

I just wanted to say I have the same problem. Solved by using NTFS.

I didn't know that the sorting order is different on FAT32 and NTFS.

Another problem is that file timestamps are only of 2-second resolution on FAT32 (if I recall correctly), so even if the files do get in the same order, if civ looks at the file time stamps, it's likely you'll have trouble anyway.

Im confused... can anyone please give me alist of the posssible fixes for the protected save file bug...

I seem to have the the same problem, but for a different reason. All my drives are NTFS, no mods, no game crash like Ritaly, but my recent gauntlet(only seventy turns or so for spaceship victory!) just won't load. :cry: Could it have something to do with me regenerating maps?

And, is there a possibility to remove the "no cheating" option in a savegame? I know I won't be able to submit it afterwards, but at least I could finish the game (and finish off Genghis for declaring war on me :lol:)

Teshik said:
I seem to have the the same problem, but for a different reason. All my drives are NTFS, no mods, no game crash like Ritaly, but my recent gauntlet(only seventy turns or so for spaceship victory!) just won't load. :cry: Could it have something to do with me regenerating maps?

And, is there a possibility to remove the "no cheating" option in a savegame? I know I won't be able to submit it afterwards, but at least I could finish the game (and finish off Genghis for declaring war on me :lol:)
It doesnt always crash when this problem happens.. I suggest get in contact with the HoF staff.. they should have the info for how to fix your save (atleast Dianthus should be able to fix it).. and if they fix it themselves there should be a chance you can get it approved anyway :p

Ah! Found a workaround to the problem (or at least, my flavour of this particular problem). If I start another random game with "no Cheating" selected, I am able to load the other protected games without being sent to the desktop. Phew! :rolleyes:

Now, off to ally Khan against Khan again... :lol:

I get the same error. My Civ IV is installed on a Fat32 partition and my savegames are on a NTFS partition. Is the problem related to where Civ is installed or where the savegame is stored?:confused:

It sepends on where the Assets and Shader dirs are located.. and they are inside the civilization4 installation dir (in other words where civ4 is installed)

I too have this error, but it is rather different from what most people are reporting and I am slowly becoming very angry with the game...

Some things to note:

1. The file in question that is refusing to load is a HOTSEAT game.
2. The game was started a few days ago on my computer. Since that time, I have re-installed CivIV.
3. Now after the re-install, the error pops up.
4. The save is on an NTFS partition but the game itself was originally FAT32. I have converted this volume also to NTFS now but this does NOT solve the problem.
5. I have done an asset check, which I will attach at the bottom of this message.
6. An attempt to restore my system to a state before the re-installation proved futile as the game itself now refused to start up. Undo-ing the restoring has led me to being able to play the game again but still not load that darn file.
7. I have had no CTDs while playing this file, it only started acting up after the re-installation.

This annoys me greatly, as if I understand it correctly, this is merely in place to prevent cheating from occuring. That's great, because when I play hotseat, where I'm with my friends or roleplaying on my own, I really need measures in place to prevent some malicious person, such as myself, hacking the file in order to win (yay, I beat myself!). Not to mention, that a multiplayer game I started before I re-installed, loads fine, and surely this is where the "protection" thing should be strongest.

I really would appreciate any help at this point and also hope that something is done by the developers to fix this problem. Interestingly enough, it is not the only time I have come accross this. When I tried transferring another hotseat game from one of my computers to another, I got the same error. However then, I could still continue playing on the old computer, while here I cannot play at all! Grr!

Once again, many thanks.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=118848&stc=1&d=1141762336

Attachments

• AssetCheck.txt
    24.7 KB · Views: 157
I got that error playing GOTM 2 but didn't get it playing GOTM 4. Teh only thing that changed is my operating system. Win 2K: "save file is protected". WIN XP: "everything's ok."

Windows partition and page file partition are NTFS. Game partition is FAT 32. (Only changed my OS)

Just to put more info to the case.

Warlords has no "no cheating" checkbox, so that's not the cause.
A player in my PBEM game got this error. We are all using NTFS. I fixed the problem by not assigning an administrator password to the game when first creating it. The player could then load the game fine.
(Of course, I had to disable my custom content in Custom Assets by temporarily renaming the folder for the PBEM creation, but after I restored the name, I can run my turn of the PBEM even with the Custom Assets enabled.)
To start a PBEM:
1. Rename your Custom Assets folder to Custom Assets X or whatever.
2. Create the PBEM game without an administrator password for the game.
3. Take your turn (if you're first) and send it.
4. Delete the new Custom Assets folder the game creates and restore the name of your old one.

(What's the purpose of the administrator password if it disables the game?)

Is this still a big problem? I'm reviving this old thread, as I've had a horrific time tonight, trying to start my first GOTM. To make a long story short, at this time, I'm getting the same "...protect mod folder assetts" or whatever the hell. Every time I try.

I sure hope there's an easier fix by now, compared to what I read in this thread. Either that, or I guess I may just forget about the GOTM.

If you have BtS the issue is with the 3.13 patch which alters your Vanilla and Warlords .dll files to make them compatible with Gold and Complete Editions but in the process makes them incompatible with Vanilla and Warlords without BtS :gripe:
See this thread for possible solutions.

I do not. I'm running purely Civ 4. I wish someone could help me ASAP, as I'd really love to try the GOTM. I'm pretty certain it has to do with the HOF patch, and the no cheat.

Where do you turn that no cheat stuff on and off? I searched for it, after reading the one poster saying after he started a new game with it off, and went back, it worked fine. But, can't figure out where you do this.

Someone please help!

I posted this firstly in the GOTM forum, but don't seem to be getting any assistance there, either. Aren't there moderators here that can help? It's been over 24 hours now.

I do not. I'm running purely Civ 4. I wish someone could help me ASAP, as I'd really love to try the GOTM. I'm pretty certain it has to do with the HOF patch, and the no cheat.

Where do you turn that no cheat stuff on and off? I searched for it, after reading the one poster saying after he started a new game with it off, and went back, it worked fine. But, can't figure out where you do this.

Someone please help!

I posted this firstly in the GOTM forum, but don't seem to be getting any assistance there, either. Aren't there moderators here that can help? It's been over 24 hours now.
Post your problem in the HOF Mod Support thread - you'll get answers pretty fast though sorting out any problems might still take some working. And no: mods on this site are not necessarily reading all threads, their job is making this site run smoothly.

Top Bottom