The Stack o' Doom: Effective Composition and Use of Offensive Military Stacks

Please correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure a unit won't heal if it has moved the same turn, even if it ended with more moves (like if you moved a unit from a road into a just captured city) (unless you have the promotion that makes healing while on the move possible, March?), so having a proper healer that also heals in nearby tiles can save you some time. I definitely prefer to use a GG (or even two sometimes) on a super-medic, so units can heal up quicker. I find it makes the wars more manageable, and particularly with horse warfare it means units left behind for healing can easily catch up to the front a turn or two later.

Please correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure a unit won't heal if it has moved the same turn, even if it ended with more moves (like if you moved a unit from a road into a just captured city) (unless you have the promotion that makes healing while on the move possible, March?)
This is correct. March needs more love.

I think GGs are kinda weak anyway (for example, +2xp in one city is not much) and super-medic is one of the most useful uses. Depends on what type of war it's going to be, I mean sometimes you can just crush through with tons of units and healing becomes rather moot.

Please correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure a unit won't heal if it has moved the same turn, even if it ended with more moves (like if you moved a unit from a road into a just captured city) (unless you have the promotion that makes healing while on the move possible, March?), so having a proper healer that also heals in nearby tiles can save you some time. I definitely prefer to use a GG (or even two sometimes) on a super-medic, so units can heal up quicker. I find it makes the wars more manageable, and particularly with horse warfare it means units left behind for healing can easily catch up to the front a turn or two later.

Yeah, that’s the dilemma. M2 lets you leave the healer in the stack outside the city, or in the newly captured city, and units on either tile will heal next turn, if they don't move.

I’ve been leaning towards the W3 route as opposed to the M2 route, because of the extra healing W3 provides at a lower xp threshold (10xp=+15% healing with W3, versus just +10% at 10xp with M2). Yes M3 and +25% is only 7 xp away if you go the Medic route first, but you also need a GG for that… and if you have a GG you can get to 26xp and W3/M1 (also +25%) easily enough. On top of that, I’ve gradually recognized my tendency to move the units outside the newly captured city into the city on the second turn anyway. Units in cities heal faster and there’s safety in numbers. That tendency of mine lessens the utility of the adjacent tile healing feature on the medic line.

I suppose the other option (besides getting a 50xp W3/M3 unit) is keeping a M2 unit (10xp) along for the ride along with the W3/M1 super healer. The bonuses don’t stack, but the extra 10% on adjacent tiles from M2 helps.

Top Bottom