The Tech Web

There's a new technology Web and a lot more to discover. The space program often appeared dry and focused more on flight rather than sailing in space. ....

The trade vessel also doesn't appear as if it moved anywhere.

Since trade routes are surely in, probably it's available without any techs.

Since trade routes are surely in, probably it's available without any techs.

Except there is a 'trade unit' at that tech (and a building that allows trade routes)

After analyzing the technology icons for a while, it appears that the Beyond Earth tree adheres to the Civ V order of icons of different types, with one addition: the +Affinity Points icon is always on the left. So the order goes, from left to right:

+Affinity Points, Units, City Buildings, Wonders, Revealed Resources, Tile Improvements, Abilities

• +Affinity Points icons are in color with a white +
  • Unit icons are monochrome without a border
  • Building icons are monochrome and have an octagonal border
  • Wonder icons are monochrome and have a crescent border
  • Resource icons are in color without a border
  • Tile improvements appear as a monochrome gear with a line through it (presumably a placeholder icon)
  • Abilities appear as a monochrome star in a circle
As mentioned above, "FPO" indicates a placeholder.

Except there is a 'trade unit' at that tech (and a building that allows trade routes)

Ok, my bad. Probably the tech web is just too work in progress.

I have to say, personally I dislike what I've seen of the tech web. It's very similar with the one in Endless Space, which was one of the things that put me off that game. There are too many options at one time, which will make the learning period very confusing. Also, the simplified look makes it harder to differentiate the different techs at a glance and makes them all blend together in a big mess.

I have to say, personally I dislike what I've seen of the tech web. It's very similar with the one in Endless Space, which was one of the things that put me off that game. There are too many options at one time, which will make the learning period very confusing. Also, the simplified look makes it harder to differentiate the different techs at a glance and makes them all blend together in a big mess.
In Beyond Earth, you have 5 nodes to choose from at the start; in Civ V, it's 4. In Endless Space, you have 8 nodes to choose from at the start, and they're in four different, unconnected trees that are placed visually so far apart that it's a hard to keep track of where you're going and what the options are. Beyond Earth has sub-techs to every node, but the advantage of doing it this way rather than in a huge sprawling tree is that it's much easier to visualize your strategy; you can see most of the tree on-screen at one time.

So far, I think what we've seen looks like a pretty good balance between more options and a still-manageable tree.

If it hasn't been said yet, I appreciate the way you clarified what is known of the Tech Web, Arioch. :thumbsup:

Arioch is super helpful in all of this, so once again, Thank You.

I have to admit, though, that I'm a bit nervous with the tech web over balance... particularly upon release. It took an awful lot of balancing to get CiV where it became (OP Horseman, et al.). I'm a bit worried that the tech web might be somewhat OP if you shoot pure military. Other than beelining for Artillery, it is hard in BNW to overwhelm without a massive Tech lead. I wonder if, within the web, a few econ choices (which don't then lead to advanced military) could be overwhelmed. Especially an AI.

Balance is always hard in games, so in some ways this is a generic concern. But given that the Producers and Developers appear to be simplifying certain things while pushing notions of gameplay balance and replayability (themes from all the early interviews), I'm a bit nervous that this game will still be out of balance for a few months after release until a patch.

If it hasn't been said yet, I appreciate the way you clarified what is known of the Tech Web, Arioch. :thumbsup:

I have always appreciated Arioch's work and analysis, even for games like this which has no appeal whatsoever to me. Just to see his detective work is fun to read.

No thanks are necessary. :D

But given that the Producers and Developers appear to be simplifying certain things while pushing notions of gameplay balance and replayability (themes from all the early interviews), I'm a bit nervous that this game will still be out of balance for a few months after release until a patch.
It's a valid concern, but... has there ever been a Civilization release that wasn't significantly out of balance for (at least) a few months after release?

No thanks are necessary. :D

It's a valid concern, but... has there ever been a Civilization release that wasn't significantly out of balance for (at least) a few months after release?

Ha, that is what keeps my emotions in check :).

I have to admit, though, that I'm a bit nervous with the tech web over balance... particularly upon release. It took an awful lot of balancing to get CiV where it became (OP Horseman, et al.). I'm a bit worried that the tech web might be somewhat OP if you shoot pure military.

One possibility could be to make defensive buildings stronger, especcially in the early game. Or to reduce the increase in military might from affinity upgrades or add smaller steps in between (where you could just get flat :c5strength: increase without the selectable bonus). If not the only possible MP strategy would be to focus on affinity points, which is kinda limiting. SP might be a bit more forgiving there, if it has not so aggressive AI; but it would make playing vs. the AI very boring if the player persues a military strategy.

I wouldn't limit it to Civilization. Most strategy games are not balanced prior to release. That's understandable - balancing requires so much testing, it's easier to do it in the field and focus on other things before release.

I liked that about endless space. The civ tech tree is booooooring.

After analyzing the technology icons for a while, it appears that the Beyond Earth tree adheres to the Civ V order of icons of different types, with one addition: the +Affinity Points icon is always on the left. So the order goes, from left to right:

+Affinity Points, Units, City Buildings, Wonders, Revealed Resources, Tile Improvements, Abilities

• +Affinity Points icons are in color with a white +
  • Unit icons are monochrome without a border
  • Building icons are monochrome and have an octagonal border
  • Wonder icons are monochrome and have a crescent border
  • Resource icons are in color without a border
  • Tile improvements appear as a monochrome gear with a line through it (presumably a placeholder icon)
  • Abilities appear as a monochrome star in a circle
As mentioned above, "FPO" indicates a placeholder.

Also it appears that Orbital units may have a standard icon (the sword/satellite dish that appears under a number of techs that suggest satellites)

Also it appears that Orbital units may have a standard icon (the sword/satellite dish that appears under a number of techs that suggest satellites)
At the moment all the orbital units have the same icon, and most of the land units have the same icon, but it's not clear to what extent those are placeholders. At the moment, the Naval Carrier unit and the Supremacy SABR artillery unit both have the same icon as infantry.

I actually have a consern with the Tech Web.

Sence you only have to study the branch technology, it might mean that you can run straight to victory against the AI, sence AI will probably always study atleast half of the leaf technologies on its route to victory..

That means you have to study only half the tecnologies AI will..

Top Bottom