The Unit Library

Sorry for posting here. Why there are no more updates of this thread?? It was best way to watch all new untis:(

Baode Luan
by Agloo

This is a huge Chinese treasure ship. If you're into flavor units, it would make a great Chinese Galleon. If you're into giving each civ a slightly different flavor unit than the others, than this would probably have +1 transport capacity but -1 movement to reflect it's size.

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Baode.zip

Attachments

• treasuredeath.gif
    treasuredeath.gif
    50.8 KB · Views: 7,982

Attachments

• cogdemo.gif
    cogdemo.gif
    98 KB · Views: 8,011
Egyptian Galley
by Aaglo

Civfanatics' resident ship maker does it again. This time it's with the Egyptian galley. The Egyptians mostly used it to travel up and down the Nile, trading and carrying supplies and grain. I have no recommendations for special stats, I would use it as just an Egyptian Flavor unit for the galley. Here's an in game screen shot. It's the nice looking boat on the left of the screen.

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/N-EgyptianGalley.zip

Ignore everything on this post below this point

Attachments

• n-egyptiangalley_large.pcx
    9 KB · Views: 258
Kublai Khan Ship
By Aaglo

Nobody could really think of a better name for this thing. Whatever it is it's good. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of the Mongolian navy, back in the days when they had a border with the Sea. They used this to try and attack Japan, but as we all know the Kamikaze happened and they got destroyed. Nontheless, it makes for a nice flavor unit. If you're into civ-speciffic units with different abilities, I'd suggest +1 attack and -1 defense or movement.

Civilopedia "During the heyday of the mighty Mongol Empire, Japan was a nasty little thorn to the side simply waiting to be conquered. The land was rich initself, but it was split among bickering nobles and warriors. Thus, Kublai Khan must have been fairly angry when Japan wasn't willing to accept even a pro forma tributary status. In response to Japan's stubborness, Kublai Khan sent the bulk of his navy to conquer the islands in 1274 and 1281. However, both times proved futile. The second one especially, as 140,000 Chinese and Mongolian troops tried to land on Kyushu, but got driven back by a disastrous typhoon. Such a defeat was suffered by the Mongols, that the Japanese named the storm, Kamikaze, or great wind. The other notable Mongolian naval expedition was to Java, also by Kublai Khan. This one also met defeat, as the semitropical heat, jungle, and horde of diseases proved too much for the Conquerers used to cooler climates and spacious steppes. Still, besides these great losses, the Mongolian navy was at it's prime probably the most powerful in the world."

Download http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/Kublai.zip

Attachments

• kublaidemo.gif
    kublaidemo.gif
    92.3 KB · Views: 7,874
Snotling
by Embryodead

This unit was created by Embryodead for his upcoming Warhammer mod. It's called a snotling, and it's barely seen in the game. Otherwise it's a nice little unit who I supposed would be a warrior replacement for an orcish goblin type civ. They should be 1/1/1 with the lowest shield cost possible.

Download http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/snotling1_1.zip

Attachments

• snotling.gif
    snotling.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 8,251
Dwarf Thunderer
by Embryodead

Continuing the great tradition of beutiful embryodead units that have absolutely no use in the game, here is the Dwarf Thunderer. Basically it is a dwarf with a handgun. If any of you are bored enough to make a dwarf civ with real world technology, then I suppose this could be your infantry replacement.

Download http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/dwarf_thunderer.zip

Attachments

• thunderer_prev.gif
    thunderer_prev.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 7,439
Ent
Kindred72

This was created by Kindred, who seems to be devoting his unit creating skills to the Double Your Pleasure, and Lord of the Mods, modpacks. This one is obviously for the latter, and represents the living trees from the second book. Interesting but not much use outside of fantasy scenarios. If you felt bored, you could make them immobile, give them a huge defense, and cast them in the middle of the forests on a world map to add to the entertainment.

Civilopedia: "The ents are a race of giant, tree-like people whose purpose was to protect the forests of Middle-earth. Entish, the sonorous, rumbling, and ancient language of the Ents was quite unlike those used by Elves or Men. Entish was a slow and thoughtful language for a slow and thoughtful people, in which words and names told the story of the things they described. One notable legend involving the Ents is that of the great ring, in which they helped the hobbit Frodo Baggins on his quest to Mt. Doom. By the end of the Third Age however, the great forests had dwindled, and so had the Ents, although they were still to be found in Fangorn Forest."

Download http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Ent.zip

Attachments

• attackpreview.gif
    attackpreview.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 7,461
Ashigaru Footman
by Kinboat

Absolutely spectacular. By far one of the best units made for the game, and it's one of 5 such. They're all flavor units for the Japanese. I also wrote civilopedia entries for all of them, but don't take them to heart, they might not be 100% accurate. Then again, they would fit right in with the rest of Firaxis's civilopedia.

I personally use the Ashigaru as a pikeman flavor unit, though it might not be 100% accurate.

My Civilopedia Entry "The Ashigaru were the principal foot soldiers of old Japan. They would recieve basic combat skills from their fathers, and then learn as they fought on the battlefield. It wasn't uncommon, for whole squads of Ashigaru to be handed a spear and armor and then tossed into a battle. Although recruited first to swell an armies numbers as peasents conscripted into military service, they soon began to realise their worth, particularly with arquebuses and spears and, in a matter of decades, well-trained Ashigaru made up a vital part of any army in medieval Japan. Their sole responsibility was to fight for their lord, and those who survived and became veterans garnered respect with those of higher station, even sometimes serving as guards. Though Ashigaru were not Samurai, most tried to adhere to the code of the Bushido. However, many followed it only loosely as the harsh expectations that the Samurai Caste confered to each other often proved too much for them. "

Download http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/AshigaruFootman.zip

Attachments

• ashigaru_preview.gif
    ashigaru_preview.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 7,488
Bushi
by Kinboat

This is the second of Kinboats units that he posted in one big pack. It's also the last unit I'll update for today, but I'll continue working on the library tomorrow. I use it as a swordsman replacement because that is the logical choice, but I suppose you can do whatever you want with it. Here's the civilopeida entry, but as I said in the last post, don't take it to heart. I can't guarrantee 100% accuracy.

Civilopedia Entry: "Bushi is Japanese for warrior, and represent the Samurai swordsmen of the feudal and pre-feudal period in their country. The [Samurai] were in fact but a rank among the Bushi, and by no means the highest. The ranks or levels of a Bushi depended upon social status, his martial merit and position of the Shogun’s favor. The term Bushi was very important to the Japanese, and the status filled with pride. So much so that if one born a Bushi was not skilled in combat, he would be stripped from his title regardless of his place in society. Since the 10th century, the military profession of Bushi became something passed on from father to son, starting at a very early age. The young Bushi would be taught archery, [yawara], horsemanship, tactics, use of the spear, calligraphy, ethics, literature, and history. This proud warrior class followed [Bushido], or "Warrior's Way"; a system of codes and traditions that had to be followed, putting emphasis on justice, courage, benevolance, politeness, truthfulness, honor, loyalty, and self-control. To break even one area of Bushido was dishonorable, and the Bushi would commit Seppuku, or death by self-disembowelment."

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/Bushi.zip

Attachments

• bushi_preview.gif
    bushi_preview.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 7,415
Meso-American Warrior
by Kinboat

This is the latest unit added to the Unit Graphics forum. It is the first of many native-American flavor units that Kinboat will soon post. It's name is the "Meso-American Warrior". Though it was originally the "Aztec Warrior", it could really fit any of the three MesoAmerican civilizations in civ3 (w/ Conquests). If it isn't already obvious, it's supposed to replace the warrior. Since I'm using it as an Aztec Warrior (as it was specifically designed for them), I wrote the following civilopedia entry for it:

Civilopedia: "In building up their empire, the Aztecs had to be skilled in the art of war, constantly facing ones with their many neighbors. Fighting became very important to the Aztecs, who were taught the skills of combat from a very young age. Beginning school at age 8, youngsters who went to "Clan Schools" (as opposed to those for nobility) faced harsh conditions. They practiced and trained with wooden weapons daily, and had to sleep in cold dormitories.. Sometimes, they were even sent into actual battles to help out the older warriors. By the age of 17, those who had survived and honed their crafts were put into regular service. While weapon and uniform greatly varied among the colorful Aztec army, the lowest ranking warriors were equipped with a wooden "Maquahuitl" war club, which was around 76 Centimeters long. Deadly, the Maquahuitl had grooved sides with embedded obsidian blades to add to it's effect."

Download:http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/MesoWarrior.zip

Attachments

• mesowarrior_preview.gif
    mesowarrior_preview.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 7,253
Kensai
by Kinboat

The Kensai were essentially "sword saints", as those of you who own "Shogun: Total War" should know.. From what I can understand, they play a far more important role in nerdy online mega-rpg's than they did in medieval Japan. However they did exist. I use it as a medieval infantry flavor unit, but I'll take it out and replace it with Kinboat's "Otomo Swordsman" as soon as possible. The Kensai would best fit in as a flavor unit to some sort of "Champion" special unit, that would be very expensive yet have very good attack and defense.

Civilopedia: "Kensai, is the Japanese word for [Sword Saint] or [Warrior Saint]. The Kensai would dedicate their life to mastering their weapon, and were so good at it that they reached a mystical role in Japanese folk-lore. Being a Kensai was a matter of great honor. The weapon that would become distinguished as the sword of medieval Japan's samurai's and Kensai was the Katana. It is a curved single edged sword, also referred to as a [Saya]. A popular myth surrounding the Japanese Katana is that the blades are folded an immense number of times, gaining magical properties in the meantime. Before the Katana, the Japanese used swords based on the designs of the Chinese and Korean blades of the time. However from around 720 A.D. onward, original Kensai swordsmiths fordged katana swords which quickly replaced their foreign counterparts. The swords hold such a legendary status that the early Kensai swordsmiths are revered legends."

Edit: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/Kensai.zip

Attachments

• kensai_preview.gif
    kensai_preview.gif
    80.7 KB · Views: 7,573
Samurai Archer
by Kinboat

Here's yet another medieval Japan Kinboat unit. This time it's the Samurai archer, which should be used as a Japanese longbowman flavor unit. Here's the civilopedia entry. It was hard not to sound redundant when you have 3 "Samurai" type units in your civilopedia.

And by the way, do you guys like the civilopedia entries or should I just not bother? PM me, don't post.

Civilopedia: "Samurai is a term that is used to refer to warrior nobility in pre-industrial age Japan. Though the picture that comes up when most people think of Saumari is a honorable fighter with his trusty katana roaming around the Japanese countryside in service to his lord and people in distress, this is heavily stereotypical. The Samurai, as a branch of the Bushi, were taught to use all sorts of weapons, and required to constantly train their prowess at them. After the sword, one of the most common weapons used by these Japanese warriors was the bow, which alongside the sworded samurai was used to tremendous effect in battle."

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/SamuraiArcher.zip

Attachments

• samarcher_preview.gif
    samarcher_preview.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 7,335
Samurai Spearman
by Kinboat

Part of what is possibly the best collection of units civfanatics has ever had. They are imho just as good as the Firaxis units. Here's yet anothe civilopeida entry. Like I said, it's hard not to sound redundant with the 3 Samurai's running around, but I try. From what I understand, the Samurai would've been trained in all sorts of weapons, and not just exclusively one.

Civilopedia: "Though the Samurai most often fought with Katana's, they were required to master many other forms of weaponry. The bow and the spear were most common of these, and often proved to be just as important in their lord's wars as their swords, making the difference between moderatly succesful feudal kingdoms, and great shouganates."

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/SamuraiSpearman.zip

Attachments

• samspearman_preview.gif
    samspearman_preview.gif
    58.3 KB · Views: 7,216
Siege Quinquereme
by Aaglo

Here's a nice unit that people have been salivating over ever since it's first preview was posted. It's by agloo, yet another one of his ancient ships. Basically this is a siege ship (no duh), and recommended stats are (thanks to Denyd):

Attack: 1
Defense: 1
Speed: 2

Bombard: 2
Range: 1
Rate: 1
Non-Lethal bombardment is YES

Cost is 30 shields
Upgrades to Frigate
No resources required
No transport ability

Sinks in sea and ocean tiles

For requierment, I'd suggest some sort of "naval ballistics" tech that would require map-making and mathametics.

Here's a great civilopedia dug up by Kryten.

Civliopedia: "Siege Galleys first became available in the 4th century BC, when larger warships such as quinqueremes became common. Used to great effect by Alexander the Great at the siege of Tyre in 332 BC, by the Macedonian successor Demetrius Poliorcetes (“besieger of cities”), and by the Romans during the siege of Syracuse in 212 BC, these ships were not intended for sea battles. Indeed, they were utterly unsuitable for such a role, being so slow due to weighing twice that of a normal galley but only having the same number of oarsmen as a single ship, being top heavy and unstable in any sort of sea swell, and lastly the huge tower making them almost unsteerable in any sort of wind….but sea battles was not their function.

Instead, these hastily improvised vessels, consisting of two hulls lashed together with a light wooden tower covered with damp animal hides on top, were quickly adapted in only four or five days usually within sight of their intended target coastal city. When all was ready, and the weather was right, these lumbering giants would be filled with soldiers and propelled against the seawalls of the enemy. Archers, catapults and ballista’s would sweep the walls, drawbridges high in the tower would be lowered onto the battlements, and the soldiers would then storm into the city.

Once Rome had absorbed all the nations around the Mediterranean the need for such devices was unnecessary, and the later Byzantine Dromons and Arab vessels were unsuitable for such a function, so Siege Galleys fell out of use by the 1st century AD"

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/SiegeQuin.zip

Attachments

• siegedemo.gif
    siegedemo.gif
    87.4 KB · Views: 7,087
Eagle Warrior
by Kinboat

This is the next unit from Kinboat's Meso-American pack. It is an eagle warrior, which were sort of the alternative to the already made Jaguar Warrior. I would personally use the Eagle Warrior as a Spearman replacement for the Aztecs, with the above posted Aztec warrior replacing the warrior and having the jaguar warrior moved up to medieval infantry and given a boost in stats.

Civilopedia: "Eagle warriors were Aztec nobles honed in the art of fighting. The title was a great distinction and didn't belong to any commoner unless he proved himself during battle. If achieving great victories or showcasing bravery, the warrior would be distinguished by dressing in finery, resembling the Eagles, with beaks and wings. Holding great status in society, Eagle Warriors would have their names written on the Northern side of the Templo Mayor, a great temple with statues of Eagle Warriors all around the general area. The other well known Aztec warrior class, the Jaguar warriors, would have their names written on the opposite end of the pyramid."

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/Meso_Spearman.zip

Attachments

• mesospearman_preview1.gif
    mesospearman_preview1.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 6,946
Egyptian Galeass
by Aaglo

Latest from the master admiral. Just what I wanted, a ship that isn't historically correct, but would probably be what the Egyptians would've thought up of had they survived longer. Excellent unit, probably replaces caravel for the Egyptians. I'll come up with a civilopedia entry later.

Civilopedia: To be completed

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/EgyptianGaleass.zip

Attachments

• egyptiangaleasslarge.gif
    egyptiangaleasslarge.gif
    6 KB · Views: 6,892
Top Bottom