The UU-A-Day Countdown

Also, you have to take into account the Civ as a whole, IMHO. Russia has one of the best (IMHO) unique abilities -- you are going to get resources in your civ at some point or get wiped out -- and when you do, you get bonus production and units. Having a moderately better unique unit is ok for them. Also look at their other unique item -- Barracks, available at the beginning (if it's like other civs...or at least available pretty darn early). So, as a whole, I think Russia looks pretty darn formidable.

you are totally right about looking at the whole package, rather then just comparing UU v UU..

and i also agree that the Russians are looking pretty strong,
UA - extra production and extra units
UB - stronger units and bigger cities
UU - decent mid game boost

once i get my mandatory Roman first game out of the way, i am definitely giving the russians a go..:goodjob:

Btw, the stats for frigates and SoL are probably wrong. Otherwise they would be better than iron clads in almost everyway, and be able to stand up to a destroyer. In fact, cost wise, frigates are vastly stronger than destroyers as it stands. And they are twice as strong as the caravel which comes a turn eariler.

I expect this to change before release.

Yeah, it's tough to speculate on the Ship of the Line without more stat info. My response is similar to the B17, though. For what it is, I'm sure it'll be good. If you want to dominate the seas, it will do it. Can be fun for naval invasions overall.

I have a little bit of trouble with naval UU, I just dont use ships that much, it is possible that this will change in civ 5 with the embarkation but I think I will take my chances pretty often and just go out without protection and hope for the best :p
Ships will liekly be a lot more useful in Civ V than IV. The one unit per tile makes their bombardments a lot more useful for breaking throught the enemy front and naval invasions easier (no transports) and more useful as you can flank the enemy and either attack the front from the back or go straight to the heart of their empire.

If there is a coastline, controlling it will be important, unlike CivIv where you just needed a small stack to beat back invasions.

Just wanted to reach out say a big THANK YOU to Shaqfu! I've enjoyed your UU a day countdown (kinda reminds me of being a kid and eagerly counting down the days to Xmas lol). Can't wait until 22 hours from now when the game unlocks!

Oh yes, definite thanks. This has give a good appreciation of everything.

Although maybe we do want to consider the bonus civ's UU as a bonus discussion after the game is released.

you are totally right about looking at the whole package, rather then just comparing UU v UU..

and i also agree that the Russians are looking pretty strong,
UA - extra production and extra units
UB - stronger units and bigger cities
UU - decent mid game boost

once i get my mandatory Roman first game out of the way, i am definitely giving the russians a go..:goodjob:

Now got no problem with the extra units but stronger? what's russia famous for? Quantity over quality.

Aye, fantastic job Shaqfu! Just about every day I'd come home from school/work and see what the strategies everyone was dreaming up. Just hours away until the game now, let's see how many of said strategies actually stand up!:lol:

Just wanted to reach out say a big THANK YOU to Shaqfu!

Oh yes, definite thanks. This has give a good appreciation of everything.

Agreed. Thanks, Shaqfu, best thread on the whole board.

Aye, fantastic job Shaqfu!

Its been great fun reading these writeups. Thanks :goodjob:

Shaqfu, thanks for starting and your continued input with this thread, an excellent read

Aw, thanks! :hatsoff: It's weird, having a day where I'm not thinking of new uses of UUs, or hoping another one shows up on Arioch's site.

I'd just like to again thank AriochIV, TheMystic, Azazell, ltarmstrong3, and, of course, 2k Greg for making this all possible. If not for you guys, this thread would be me speculating for 500 posts, and that wouldn't be much fun. Of course, this thread was made awesome by the fantastic posts we've had. If it weren't for you guys being fantastic, this thread would've been me going on to myself about forward defenses and Knight detachments for a month, which is exactly as interesting as it sounds. Again, thanks to everyone that's posted here for the great discussion on what was seriously an underdiscussed part of the game.

I would like to also take the chance to apologize to the Minuteman. Not only did I have his ability completely wrong, but it makes him a lot more interesting than I originally said. 1 movement point through any terrain lets him quickly get into ideal ground, as well as rush to a fron...wait, I thought I was out of days/units!

If you guys haven't had enough of me yet, I'm posting my first game over on Stories & Tales. Hopefully the War Elephant's as good a defender as I think...

And yes, I'll do a special edition Day 0: Bowman tomorrow. :goodjob:

I hate to do a shameless plug, but...

If you want, you can join my new Civilization V Succession Game. We're playing as Japan, so...

We've only got 3 people right now. Join up if you want!

If you guys haven't had enough of me yet, I'm posting my first game over on Stories & Tales. Hopefully the War Elephant's as good a defender as I think...

I really like your strategic thinking. Therefore you can count me in as a lurker. At least till the 24th, the day I can play for myself... But maybe/surely even after that! :cool:

Top Bottom