The Vikings... Are too... Powerful... Then too weak...

Airrifle48942

Warlord
I don't have a problem when I'm defending AGAINST the Vikings as ANY civilisation (as I usually just make peace with one city and THEN grow), but it seems to me that the Vikings keep making their reign of terror. Every game, in order to keep England or Germany and in rare cases - France and Russia and the Netherlands/Holland - in the game I need to make them make peace with the Vikings...

I notice that whenever I play as a civilisation that starts ages after, e.g. America. England, the Netherlands/Holland are usually just huge Independent Empires because they got conquered by multiple 8 strength and practically showered with bonuses Viking Berserkers whilst they defended with a Crossbowman or one Longbowman. :cry: And then when the Vikings take over all of Western Europe, they COLLAPSE! Then Germany conquers those territories starting with Sweden, collapses... Followed by Spain... Turkey... And so on...

But if these new countries somehow survive the onslaught... (1 out of 100 games I play without me being there to prevent it, I think it's because sometimes England isn't at war, etc.) The Vikings end up being on par with the Malinese, and if the Malinese are vassals of France, then the Vikings are doomed to 800 points...

They're overpowered in the beginning due to the fact that England has pretty much NO defenses if they use all of their settlers (1 Longbowman per city?!) and the Dutch are usually destroyed by the Vikings from their loss of Amsterdam to defend Dragor or Frederikstad.

I don't think I've ever seen the Vikings destroy anybody. They have Dublin, that city in Scotland and maybe something somewhere in Asia and they might found Vinland and that's it, other than obviously a few cities in Scandinavia.

Top Bottom