The worst unit overall

What is the worst unit in Civ3

• Man-O-War (The reason I am not the english)

Votes: 80 34.5%
  • Explorer (I discovered the entire world centuries ago and now they give the explorer)

Votes: 152 65.5%

• Total voters
I certainly know the importence of "ruling the waves", but the point is that magnetism is the last advance in the medieval age and steam power is the first advance in the industrial age. When you discover magnetism it allows you to build frigates (and thus man-O-war) and when you discover steam power it allows you to build ironclad. So the man-o-war will become obsolete before you reach the enemy's lands with it, in one of my games it was even obsolete before it was built! So this is such a waste of a UU.

I can't believe more people voted Explorer. I couldn't choose between the 2, but after discussing in this thread I have found new uses for the explorer (although these uses were not intended for the explorer, he was meant for exploring, not spying on enemy troops and pillaging)

So I will finally cast my vote on the Man-O-War

homie's right, if u are lazy (like me) and don't discover the entire world before the explorer, then they're good to use

No, the worst unit EVER is the bomber. It's pretty pointless. Once for fun I tried to bomb Warwick. I boarded it on a carrier and sent the carrier to the outskirts of the England border. I tried to bomb it and WHAM! a fighter jet comes in and blows it to simmertreans.

The Privateer is pretty pointless as well. By the time I get it there are battleships and ironclads ruling the sea. I've lost at least 10 privateers trying to sink some ships.

The reason I consider Explorers pointless is because I've lost them to barbarians. I'd rather send a military unit unless I am sure that it's safe. But that doesn't usually happen. Once a barbarian walked in my town on the second turn of the game!

Originally posted by scooblerboy
your right, i use just about all units!

I don't:
- Explorers no, as they are useless...

- Men-o-wars, they are the reason I don't play English (they being expansionistics helpes...)

- Paratroopers, so rarelly...

- Marines, only if they have a 1-tile island I bother to build 2 of them...

- Nuclear missiles, why no wait for ICBMs?

- Cruise missiles, too weak range, so very rare to build one...

Do you make this units?!?

Bombers are NOT useless.

In the industrial and modern era, Bombers and Cruise missiles absolutely kick ass for defending your shores from sea attack. I tried in vain several times to attack an island with about 30+ bombers. They rained evil death down on my ships and I could not counter attack. I couldn't get my Fighters to defend from the carriers for some reason so everything was sunk.

It wasn't until he tried to attack my heavily armed cities with his bomber force, that I was able to break thru. He ended up killing all his bombers against my defending fighters, allowing me to get up on his shores with my invasion forces. It was either throw literally hundreds of MA onto his shorts and hope some weren't bombed into the red or attack the only city I could reach with transports in one turn with about 300 marines against a stack of MIs.

Or nuke him. But then again I was trying not to as someone would have nuked me back :rocket:

Helicopters are superb. to make them work you need about half of your infantry outside cities when you shift-U to Mech Inf. Voila an instant occupation force. If you build enough of them you can easily put up a defensive line far ahead of your own borders, then take a line of AI cities, no need to worry about counterattack. Paratroopers are admittedly cack, what's the need for them in any city that already has an airport?
Helo's are a must if you have had any length of trench war. Save all those elite infantry out of the upgrade cycle.

Helos are like most other units: to use them effectively you need a lot of them. Say you have a maginot line type stalemate with your enemyyou've got peace but only just so you have a whole bunch of infantry fortified on the border. But you only have tanks and modern aromor is a long way off. You have tried and failed to make a breakthrough with cavalry and artillery. So peace sets in just to keep the peeps happy.
Lo advanced flight. build maybe thirty helos, station ten in each of three border cities. load with your best infantry units. Send fighters out on recon and to probe three or four cities to see if they have fighter cover. Station a bucketload of bombers in your border cities too. Fly the helos out to drop a line of infantry deep in enemy territory. Now use bombers to try and take out the rail and road that lead to where you have dropped your inf. set all the inf you have standing on the border to walking and get them to take the artillery with them.
You have just encircled a patch of enemy territory with strong infantry. Just tighten the noose and that territory is yours. Attack the cities from as many fronts as possible. Repeat and rinse.
Another good use for the helo\infantry combination is establishing a bridgehead on a far shore. Rather than sending out a whole parcel of marines just send out a transport with one settler and three good defensive units and four artillery. artillery. Drop them on enemy territory, preferably in a jungle or a forest or on a hill.. Land the settler alone if your enemy is not aware of your intentions or in a gap in his border if you can find one.
build the city and load up some helos with infantry, fly them in and unload them. Unbeatable bridgehead unless he has a nuke and is willing to use it. If you have Computers build a barracks and upgrade your infantry as they arrive. You can bring in as many infantry as you have helicopters every other turn. Plus when you run out of infantry to move about they disband for twenty five shields a turn, cheap way to get that airport built.

That's a good use for them but it's truly for those who prefer to overrun the stronger. The only time I would go to war (now at least) would be if I knew that the enemy had worse units than me.

Paratroopers are not weak. I managed to mod them so they have the same A/D ratings as regular infantry and added another move so they can land and still attack. And I also made 'em upgradable too.

Has anybody made Cruise Missles useful?

I second that! CM's are like mini version of ICBM.

With CMs a couple of hundred of them can win the game in one turn.

Top Bottom