The worst unit overall

What is the worst unit in Civ3

• Man-O-War (The reason I am not the english)

Votes: 80 34.5%
  • Explorer (I discovered the entire world centuries ago and now they give the explorer)

Votes: 152 65.5%

• Total voters
personally, i think that impis and helicopters are the most usless. Why give a defensive unit more movement? And why can the helicopters only carry ONE unit with ONE movement point? I guess if you're under attack and the impis win you get a golden age, but christ! What was firaxis THINKING with the helicopters!:ak47:

Catapults are good for defending a city, Explorers are good for blocking your opponents way (provided they aren't keen on waging war with you). The worst is definitely helicopters. I rather use railroads than them. They can only carry foot soldiers and have an extremely limited range. I usually disband them for bonus shields if my cities happen to build them.

IMPIS!!!! Are you serious... they are one of the best units, I love building 15 - 20 of them and for creating a defensive line, pillaging, harrassing, and singing Uhmmmmm.... uhmmmmmm.... Zulu zulu zul....... (if you saw the movie you'd understand).

I see your point, Neomega, and by the way, i have seen the movie and i've actually been to South Africa and visited zulu villages (or at least people of Zulu descent.) And I still stick with the fact that HELICOPTERS SUCK!

Shaka Zulu...... Long, Very long movie, but very good.

OOOOHHHHH! Does that Helos suck or what, never use them and I see many of you arent either....
Paratroppers.....nah...never ever use them,
but what is it about the 8 limit bombarment range???????
Why? Why, why , WHY? Can anyone tell me why Firaxis did that?

I played a game not long ago where the map was panagea and I had killed off all the civs but one and he was left with an island of 4 tiles long and 2 cities. I, of course, kept the cities under constant nuclear bombardment while my transports move there. during these boring turns, I decided to see what a paratrooper could do. Well I could not use it due to having no air ports! snicker.

Anyway, I rushed a helo and airport. The helo acts as an airport(this I did not know) and you can drop troopers from airports.

Now, for arguement sake, If you had a city near a city on your main cluster of land, you could drop a tatical and then drop troopers to take the city. You could also drop a city down, reassign your helo to that city and then drop troopers the next turn. This is way faster than waiting 10 turns for a transport to go across the map.

bombers are not that useful, imo. They get shot down fairly quickly by jets, sam's and take about the same time to build as modern armor.

stealth fighters are, imo, useless. Their bombing radius is shorter than stealth bombers and they cant do air superiority.

never built an explorer or man o war...

Bombers are great, for sea battles, and for bombing roads and railroads, as well as units in the field, although I prefer artillery, bombers have the advantage of not having to be put out in the open, (and liable to be captured) to attack. Four bomber are usually enough to do some serious damage, and the AI rarely has more than two fighters on patrol.

yeah, stealth fighters are useless

explorer
Man of War
Marines. Sorry, but by the time you get them anything can defend against them. But i made them hidden nationality, so that's better
Submarines-Weak, and the computer can see where they are. Nuclears are okay, but i made these hidden nationality too
Paratroops-SUCK! But i made them 2 movement and invisible so they can pillage
Privateers-Too late, too weak. Uping there stats never seems to help
Helicopters-useless
I made Infantry (not mechanized) see invisible, and some other unit, i forget, that sees invisible. I think what i did was rename the explorer counter-spy, see invisible
Added unit Spy, invisible, hidden nationality, attack 1 defense 1, movement 3 and some other stuff.

Frigates, and ships of that era... including Ironclads... They don't last all that long, if you have a good research program going. I forget if they were initially upgradable... but I made them so they can be upgraded if they couldn't before. Also the F-15 isn't a bad unit, I just think it isn't all that better then the Jet Fighter. I'd have given the Americans the M1-Abrahms as a UU.

Privateers are rather useless, I almost never see them as the only time I have is when Civ 3 came out and I built one for fun.:rolleyes:

I added the Abrahms as a UU for my Rome in the Modern World scenario... and I'm considering just adding it to the main game itself. :D

ICBMs are made worse because Civs who are not involved in the war will declare war on you, altough I don't think they'll declare war on fellow AIs.

Originally posted by Homie
They have changed its attributes now, they gave it 1 extra attack, it is now 2 in attack. And that makes it quite useful sinking galleys or caravels with units that the enemy is transporting. You kill their supplies without taking the blame.

Privateers would be great, except those GREEK! patrol my waters with ironclads. As new and as stupid as I was, I attacked and was attacked and all three times my privateers were sunk by the ironclads. The third time it was really funny - I attacked it while the privateer was still in the city and it sunk right there.

Ironclads suck because they can't be upgraded, at least in the original Civ III. I'm not sure with the v1.29f patch.

Explorers aren't advantageous especially because I don't play the expanionists civs and I can build them too late.

Tactical nukes have an awful range, I don't use them too often.

Ironclads aren't bad. It does take quite some time for them to become obsolete (unlike the frigate). And besides, they are so extremely much better than their predecessors so you just have to build them.

Tip to all those pangea players: Try out archipelago or a scenario with lots of sea. To play a map where naval power is of crucial importance is great fun, I love having sea dominace with my galleys. If they have a larger army, it doesn't matter, because they can never reach my island which is guarded with my galleys.

useless units?? let me open the book?

chariot: for some reason, horses don't like me, so I can never build them before I discover horse riding

Longbowman: I edited it to be 4/2/1 AND bombardment 2, but WITHOUT the bombardment ability. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it? ;) . Well, in fact it has some sense. you can't bombard cities nor units, but you get the defender free shot, which sounds pretty realistic IMHO. I know some people who give them the bombardment full ability, (specially Lt Killer, who gave them an insane high bombard power, IMHO), but seeing the message: "our arrows have destroyed the Cathedral" doesn't make me happy :lol: :lol:

Marines, subs and other special units: they are very bad by default, but modding their stats makes them Okay.

Helicopters: I'm still thinking how to make them useful!! even though Mechs can't be drafted in my mod, carrying foot soldiers makes them junk units in the modern era...seriously I fail to see how they can be useful.

Musketeers?? does anyone think they are bad?? :o attack 3 is a very good thing!! they are very good counter-attackers, and can easily beat damaged units, even muskets in open field. Of course they are no match for Samurais, but still...they are good.

What, you modifed the scanario so much that you can't draft Mech Infantry? In the v1.29f patch you can - I mean, at least it says you can.

Helicopters, can't only special units be paradropped on those?

The worst units in my opinion are the ones that cannot be upgraded to a higher WAY higher units. For exampleit's 2400 AD and I still have Swordsmen and Longbowmen because they can't be upgraded!

Homy you wouldn't be great as a leader lol...I prefer putting 5 catapults softening up a enemy swordman rather than lose a swordman of my own.Have u ever figured up what happens if all of your 5 catapults made a "home run"?! You have probably just killed an entire army :D ...so the catapults clearly have no place in your pool of the worst units.That thing is valable for longbowmen too( a longbowman has the upper hand when atacking a knight not to say that u can make a huge army of pikemem/longbowman/catapult combo)
ps:try this I can assure you won't be sorry or at least u'll change your opinion about those 2 units :)

The Warrior is the worst units, with 1 attack and 1 def nothing is worst than that, a paratrooper will defeat a warrior easily.

Top Bottom