The XCOM sqaud?

ilik

Chieftain
Has no one paid attention to this magnificent unit? It can paradrop FORTY tiles away from friendly territory.

Get open borders with the last civ left on the other continent, literally teleport next to his capital, DOW, you win!

A single Xcom unit won't break down the gates to the city, at that stage of the game. You usually still need bombers and battleships and such to weaken the city first.

Has no one paid attention to this magnificent unit? It can paradrop FORTY tiles away from friendly territory.

Get open borders with the last civ left on the other continent, literally teleport next to his capital, DOW, you win!

I think you mean place a spy in the capital, DOW and then teleport your units there. Else you get kicked out automatically.

Look, I don't know what you are trying to say here but your argument that Xcom is OP was in now way supported by facts. What's the problem exactly? Maybe you should move up in difficulty, because I usually see a carpet of enemy units around AI capitals preventing a serious drop. If you're up against humans that might not be the case but then you're playing a whole different game and there are other means to stop them.

I find the XCOM units are pretty carp at resisting bombardments(city/bomber/artillery). You need to get the cities defenses down then para drop in or you'll be loosing a lot of units. I think the devs meant them to be a unit capable of fighting Giant Death Robots.

I think you mean place a spy in the capital, DOW and then teleport your units there. Else you get kicked out automatically.

Yeah, I have no idea why one would be looking for open borders before declaring war in this situation.

OP has never used the unit by the sound of it.

Without air and possible also naval support they are more of a "wow" -> "oh, darn" unit. It is a good supplement in a (very) late game invasion. So if you are going for a Domination Victory perhaps they could be useful, but for that Nukes and Stealth are better.

Spam cheap paratroopers, wait a little, spend some gold on upgrades, profit.
I hardly ever play long enough to see xcoms or those silly robots. They ruin the "realistic" flavor of the game imho.

Give them cover promotions, pillage each turn and none of your xcoms will die while sniping capital after capital.

Also, beeline to Nanotech can be done fairly quickly. Just prebuild a few paratroopers and upgrade them asap.

I never even build one. I Always win way before i get there....

Same here. Same goes for Giant Death Robots. Also, since I'm usually going for a BNW culture victory or a tech victory (though I frequently stumble into an unplanned diplomacy victory), I've only ever really used Stealth Bombers once.

Give them cover promotions, pillage each turn and none of your xcoms will die while sniping capital after capital.

Also, beeline to Nanotech can be done fairly quickly. Just prebuild a few paratroopers and upgrade them asap.

Nah, I think I pass. I play to have fun and to play a game one way (out of many) will make the game become boring. I have 1600 hours of Civ 5, I wouldn't be near that if I would have played the game one way. But we are all different.

Same here. Same goes for Giant Death Robots. Also, since I'm usually going for a BNW culture victory or a tech victory (though I frequently stumble into an unplanned diplomacy victory), I've only ever really used Stealth Bombers once.

I tried immortal with only the Domination victory enabled --- and there I really got to build and war with large numbers of Xcom squads, stealth bombers, and GDRs. Otherwise I agree that the game usually ends before you get there...

Xcoms and nukes have amazing synergy. Just nuke their capital to clean up the units and redline the city... Then drop in with a single Xcom and take it. You can potentially capture as many capitals as you have Uranium in a single turn, provided that you can position your nukes close enough. If you cannot get all the remaining capitals in one turn, you might need additional Xcoms to defend the caps you've taken, but a single well-aimed nuke will usually cripple any AI army so they'll only be a minor threat. Nukes have absurd power in Civ V due to 1upt... Just the way I like it! :D (I'd still like Planet Busters tho :mischief::eek::nuke::nuke::nuke:)

I wish they'd make a near-future scenario that heavily used units like the GDR, stealth bomber, xcom, missile cruiser, etc. I don't think any of the existing scenarios get beyond crossbowmen, cannons, maybe musketmen, cavalry, etc.

I wish they'd make a near-future scenario that heavily used units like the GDR, stealth bomber, xcom, missile cruiser, etc. I don't think any of the existing scenarios get beyond crossbowmen, cannons, maybe musketmen, cavalry, etc.

I'd eat that up. I've tried a couple games that start in the Atomic or Information, but it's just too much of a grind to build your cities up to the point that you can actually do stuff with them.

You actually need Blitz on your XComs to drop in and take a capital in one turn. So Autocracy Zulu could do it with XComs made in their Brandenburg city, but that's about it. One plus is it is only 60 gold to upgrade a Paratrooper to an XCom. The downside is, assuming you are bulbing/Oxfording/completing rationalism to get to XCom there isn't actually all that much time to build paratroopers. That's more of a problem with how GS bulbs work than XComs though.

It is really nice to be able to do the fighting around an enemy city, fortify-heal after it is captured, then immediately rejoin the front once health has been restored. Then if you went tradition, you've got potentially a 0-maintenance army at peace-time that can instantly deploy on any front should a war break out.

I haven't built single one, so i don't really care if they are OP. Game is pretty much over when you get them, although it's nice that there's a unit that can snipe last capital for domination victory. Although domination victory should be done by that point.

But why is the XCOM squad introduced in the game at all??I don't want any futuristic unit in civilization.It destroys more of the realism that is left in the game.What I think is OP about them is that they can't be intercepted at all.Flying 40tiles and then no patroulling jet fighter reacts??There should be at least a 50%chanche.Same goes for stealth bomber tbh.

Top Bottom