The years go by - is any idea for a community Civ3-clone utterly dead? :)

The Contaminated Beaches by the Nuclear Power Plant in EFZI2 has the Radioactive Resource Sign on the lxdgc.pcx Terrain file. The xdgc.pcx Terrain file does not have it and is used when the Beach is cleaned.
This works but one has to test to see exactly where the tiles are placed on the map.
Also, the same tiles are placed several times in various places so being specific about placement is a chore.

If resources were placed in the water, a random scattering would be OK.

I use a Blank Terrain file with Numbers to see exactly where terrain tiles are placed to be able to place the graphics where wanted.

So, can this be made use of (either as is, or with a special editor) to animate cities or some terrain a bit? :)

Come to think of it, we could also use the Plague (and/or disorder, but the latter already is useful) for that as well, as long as it allows for some minor differentiation but even if it doesn't the gfx can be set enough to feature the animation in the places where it works.

Eg civ flags might be doable, or if not there can be some minor movement (generic small flags or similar)

Almost anything can be made and added to the Map with animations but what ever it is has to be a Unit. That said, it is also a problem even if the "unit" is set with Hidden Nationality. The AI will go after them "thinking" they are Barbarians.
The "work around" is to make and set Terrain as Impassable. ..Then Nothing can touch it.
The Billboards in EFZI2 are set on Impassable Terrain and are Immobile. The Waterfall is animated but you need to capture it when you get to Adventure Island as it belongs to the Zombies and set on a Mountain.

IF we could make and place animations without having to make them Units that belong to a CIV, that would seriously Help.

Rivers, Lights, Fish swimming, etc... could be done. Just have to "work around" the problems.

The Contaminated Beaches by the Nuclear Power Plant in EFZI2 has the Radioactive Resource Sign on the lxdgc.pcx Terrain file. The xdgc.pcx Terrain file does not have it and is used when the Beach is cleaned.
This works but one has to test to see exactly where the tiles are placed on the map.
Also, the same tiles are placed several times in various places so being specific about placement is a chore.

If resources were placed in the water, a random scattering would be OK.

I use a Blank Terrain file with Numbers to see exactly where terrain tiles are placed to be able to place the graphics where wanted.

Interesting, and yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of making easier. On land, there are often multiple options for a particular terrain graphic since there are some overlaps with the graphics files, and on sea/ocean, there is a lot of overlap. While I believe the Firaxis editor uses some randomization between the options, the map editor I wrote uses the first matching option that it finds, following a fixed algorithm, when painting new terrain (for existing terrain it uses whatever is already specified). But there's no reason there couldn't be an option to allow the user to choose which of 3/6/81/etc. options they preferred from among the valid options in the graphics files.

You've also made me realize that this could be used to allow an overlay, such as the radioactive sign, and also have a different resource on the same tile, whereas you'd need a combination resource to represent that otherwise..

Quintillus... Setting the Terrain tiles where specific tiles can be placed where wanted would be great.

I would like to be able to place animated "units" on the terrain without having them owned by any Civ and especially Barbarians. If a Unit is Not recognized by the AI, they would leave it alone and that would prevent having to set the animations on Impassable Terrain.
Thinking "out of the box", is there any way to pre-place a unit animation on the map that does not belong to anyone? Some way to fool the AI into "seeing" it as part of the Terrain.

Perhaps there is a way to specify Terrain Tiles then make one or more tiles separate animations or added as an animated Overlay?
... worth thinking about :)

I seem to recall a scenario where someone made a "nature" civ with immobile 0-defense hidden nationality units that could not be attacked. That can cause the AI to do unusual things though since it will always want to kill them.

WildWeazel...
The Balloons in EFZI2, for example, have hidden nationality with o attack/defense and they cannot be destroyed. The only problem is the AI still goes for them and they get covered by the other units.

Just needs some finishing touches

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-01-07 23-04-23.png
    Screenshot from 2018-01-07 23-04-23.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 174
Quintillus... Setting the Terrain tiles where specific tiles can be placed where wanted would be great.

I would like to be able to place animated "units" on the terrain without having them owned by any Civ and especially Barbarians. If a Unit is Not recognized by the AI, they would leave it alone and that would prevent having to set the animations on Impassable Terrain.
Thinking "out of the box", is there any way to pre-place a unit animation on the map that does not belong to anyone? Some way to fool the AI into "seeing" it as part of the Terrain.

Perhaps there is a way to specify Terrain Tiles then make one or more tiles separate animations or added as an animated Overlay?
... worth thinking about :)

Well... the problem is going to be in the animated part. Aside from leaderheads, which won't be on the map, I can think of three things that are animated:

- Units
- Volcanoes (one for active, one for exploding)
- Fireworks for We Love the King Day

The disadvantages of units have already been mentioned. Fireworks won't really work because they could come and go unpredictably.

That leaves volcanoes.

I have one idea for them that might work, although "might" is the operative word. It's inspired by a Chinese scenario, which had a completely different background than I'd ever seen before in Civ3, and did that by having a destroy.pcx file that was far, far larger than anything I'd ever seen used in Civ (there's a Manhattan scenario here that does a similar thing, though on a smaller scale, with the Empire State Building). Although it's difficult to get to load locally without a Chinese copy of Civ3 and Windows, and my editor seems to have lost the ability to open it at some point over the years, I thought ahead enough to save a link to it in 2014. And the link still works. Thus, you can see screenshots of it, here via Baidu, and download it here (apologies for the button labels being in Chinese; and I should note that you shouldn't expect to be able to view in in-game/editor without undue effort; you can copy the Art\Cities files to a folder name that uses the Roman alphabet and open them via IrfanView to connect them to the screenshots). There was a CFC post announcing it here, but due to the language barrier, it didn't get much attention. EDIT: I've restored the screenshots of the files being open in my editor here, so it's once more visible at CFC... although Baidu has a greater variety of screenshots.

So the idea is to similarly use very oversize volcano files. I think you may also have to put the (one, so as not to have overlapping graphics) volcano file at the bottom of the map, since isometrically you want it to overlap the things higher up on the map. There's also the matter of how to try to keep the volcano always active. A sufficiently short eruption period, combined with the same animation for explosion/active may work, although I don't know if even the shortest eruption period would guarantee it always being active/erupting.

I believe that would all be purely graphics-based editing, and thus doable with current tools (the real test, of course, will be in-game). Although I can't recall which file contains those volcano graphics and am not having much luck finding it.

Setting specific tiles to be graphics within wSSS.pcx et. al. is currently only possible via hex editing, but I'm more confident that I can add that than that the volcano trick above will work.

--------

Edit 2: I figured out how to get it to load in my editor. First, you must change the name to be in the Roman Alphabet (just the .biq file though, the search folder can be in Chinese). Then, switch the editor language to Chinese in the Preferences and restart (this will also change the font to one that supports Chinese characters). Then you can open the Age of Titans (进击的巨人) scenario. The tile at 15, 21 has the ruins (destroy.pcx) graphic, and you can see the effect by de-toggling it.

Last edited:
Quintillus, I can remember these images very well and I´m still hoping that there will be a time when I can use a real worldmap (or a map of parts of Europe) for WW2 scenarios. As Baidu made this scenario for public download and it seems you have working files, I hope it is ok, if you still show us here the destroy file of that scenario in scale 1:1.

I also used somewhat bigger 'ruin' graphics in the scenario SOE to camouflage the land connection between Britain and the rest of Europe.

Spoiler :

Last edited:
Hm, wait, does the huge destroy.pcx graphic work differently than just having a huge city graphic? Cause i recall that with cities there is the serious side-effect that their graphic will disappear if you don't have units near them (not sure if also in case you are currently having an active unit far away, while still having some of your units near the city).

Just FYI re using Freeciv code, it already has the ability to be played in different tile set-ups I believe, eg isometric, hexes etc. Also, Freeciv Web (the browser version) has a beta of a 3D map and 3D (non- animated) units which looks like a basic version of Civ 4.

https://play.freeciv.org/

This is only slightly less trivial than it would appear, but I'm doing things.

Would increasing tile size be possible, and then stretching the existing graphics some? I think it may help in giving civ a better look and fit more on the tile.

Top Bottom