The Zika Virus

@El Mach:

No, it just requires a centric viewpoint from someone who wasn't there. For the typical first worlder who heard so much about the disease for it to have so little effect on their lives, it must have seen blown out of proportion.

Indeed. I recall how many stories there were about the Ebola about to infest half of Spain (and also coastal US), and then all Europe. Nothing much happened in the continent.

The bird flu also apparently is not a pandemic at all. Do you know how many Millions of bird flu vaccines were bought by Countries? That is one multi-billion business contract set up in a few days.

Measures to successfully contain an exponential problem always, always, always looks like an over-reaction in retrospect. It's the way the math works.

If it weren't for bureaucrats willing to use guns to coral a powerless populace, and if it weren't for MSF and the WHO trying to bribe people into quarantine, the world would be a very different place.

I know it's your dysthymia, but your blase negativism really trolls me sometimes.

Measures to successfully contain an exponential problem always, always, always looks like an over-reaction in retrospect. It's the way the math works.

Which is why this is a lucrative field for paid hype to sell your medicine at record numbers, without any actual prospect of a pandemic. Bird flu 'pandemic' killed less people than a couple of bus accidents.

Which is why this is a lucrative field for paid hype to sell your medicine at record numbers, without any actual prospect of a pandemic. Bird flu 'pandemic' killed less people than a couple of bus accidents.

But then we get the Kyriakos world, where there's massive suffering because you prefer to underfund responses so that exponential problems get away from us occasionally

Honestly the best way we can protect ourselves from the Zika virus is to prevent the virus before it is TOO LATE!

If you are going to be outside for more than a few minutes - douse yourself in bug spray. I prefer Spectrum Brands products, but if you prefer organic - just make sure it works!

We must make sure these infected mosquitoes can not enter our homes! Repair all window and door screens as necessary ASAP - if you have plumbing pipes that are exposed to the outside of your home - make sure to cap the opening with wire mesh! Be sure this wire mesh material has openings that are smaller than the size of an adult mosquito - something like the 100 x 100 woven wire mesh screen seen here: www.bwire.com

There are ways we can stop this before it really takes off - but we must be very diligent when it comes to prevention of this virus. Whether this is a real threat or not - we need to take this threat very seriously. This is not something that should be looked at as a joke. This is a worldwide concern - just like gun control and terrorism.

To those mocking the idea that this is real - even if you do not believe in this - please protect yourselves JUST IN CASE

Top Bottom