Things Other People Care About But You Don't

Deity is too easy is just as subjective as my opinion that Civ
is just a base on which to add mods that give you the most fun.

There's nothing subjective about it when the ability exists to compare Civ VI with Civ V on the same difficulty levels - Civ VI is objectively easier. If Deity in Civ V was considered an appropriate difficulty by the developers, why isn't the new game pitched to be just as difficult at that level?

Deity should be impossible to win. Need to crush some egos.

At least I would like a game where I have to wade through the armies of my enemies, setting up a precarious defensive line on which hundreds of units perish, while I desperately try to keep my improvements from being pillaged, my spaceports from being sabotaged & my envoys from being murdered.
Err, I think I was just daydreaming.

I don't care about the graphical/stylistic changes. Sure, it's different, and it's not childish. It's akin to a game like Okami where its' watercolored visuals age well.

Domination victory in singleplayer.

I can honestly say I have never achieved a domination victory in my 1000 hours of civ5, other than in multiplayer.

Domination victory is
a) Tedious, logistical nightmare
b) A lot of stress and worries early game instead of embracing the development of civilization
c) Boredom later once you inevitably reach event horizon "I can kill anybody with ease"

d) And that's the most important one to me: it's simply not the way I have fun with Civ. In Civ I have the greatest fun from creating my own stories of Earth-like worlds, seeing how empires of both me and others rise and fall, seeing how other empires interact with each other, slowly developing the civilization, immersing myself in the culture and leader I am, et cetera. Domination victory kills all those points. It also doesn't feel "natural" for me to conquer every civ on the map, as it was always unachievable in real life, even by Mongols, British, China or America.

Yeah, I have about 2500 hours in Civ V, 200 in BE/RT, and about 700 in Civ VI, and I think I've won legit single player domination victories maybe two or three times maximum. Sometimes I start a dom game and end up quitting by the renaissance era when I've killed half the world and have 50 frigates and 100 musketmen and the rest of the remaining civs have about 10 units total. I just can't be bothered moving all those units and actually taking the cities. It's so dull.

I don't care about actually winning. I care about pulling ahead in some ways, but going through all the way to the win almost never happens. That being the case, I don't pay too much attention to victory conditions.

I have 1672 hours in game (a lot of that from time spent modding). I don't think I have actually won the game one time.

upload_2018-2-28_10-45-27.png

There's nothing subjective about it when the ability exists to compare Civ VI with Civ V on the same difficulty levels - Civ VI is objectively easier. If Deity in Civ V was considered an appropriate difficulty by the developers, why isn't the new game pitched to be just as difficult at that level?
Whats to say that Deity in Civ V was the correct difficulty?

Whats to say that Deity in Civ V was the correct difficulty?

The game was popular and lasted for years without the difficulty being reduced at Deity. The developers decided to set the bonuses the AI gets at a particular level - it wasn't arbitrarily difficult by accident. There don't appear to have been widespread complaints that it was too hard. So why shouldn't it be considered the correct difficulty?

So what that Deity level was an "appropriate difficulty" in Civ 5?
They have no obligation to follow through with that in Civ 6,
especially when there are mechanics and extensions that have
no direct, or indirect, counterpart in Civ 5.

As long as I can Nuke Ghandi, I'm happy.

Hey... I take exception to that... What has Australia ever done that is historically better than what Canada has done

They gave us Mad Max, good enough in my book. :D

Top Bottom