Things You Like To See in Civ5.

Resources should not go obsolete. I.e. You get plasics, you can now wear a polyester shirt, but why would that mean that your fir coat does not make you happy?

Get rid of that stupid global warming. It occurs way too fast, it occurs in a competely random way and it never makes tundra farmable.

I also want to nuke myself if I happen to stop next to a large caravan of enemy ships and have no more movement points to escape the AOE or if 5 caravels pull up to my shore and I suspect a great spy

:lol: I spy a full-blooded environmentalist/liberal here... nukes his own troops, wears fur, possibly still kills whales and elephants although better and cheaper alternatives now exist... ;)

I agree that it is incredibly frustrating knowing that a Great Spy is on his way and there is almost nothing you can do to stop him - not even closing borders and lining troops ten deep along the entire coastline with orders to shoot anything wearing black... :mad: I had not thought of using a nuke though! Brilliant :D

1. pauseable real time
2. no hexes or squares just a map
3. much better naval system
4. an espionarge system that isn't broken
5. an RPG element
6. more realistic movement of armies. in CIV1-4 any unit could be moved, whereas in reality until the nineteenth century armies moved in a few large 'stacks'

real time, no tiles, RPG?

so... do you like Civ or would you prefer to play a different game? ;)

1. No cultural borders after discovery of Nationalism. i've expanded on this elsewhere, basically in war you can capture individual squares by occupying them for 5 turns, individual tiles can be negotiated over etc. Would make warfare about fronts, not cities.

2. Quantitive resources. Having 10 oilfields at the moent is not better than having one. Makes no sense. Each strategic resource should only allow a certain amount of units.

Yes and yes! Where is the thread with the Nationalism idea...? it sounds excellent

10. Different research system. you shouldnt knw exactly what youre going to discover. Techs should be divided into categories (Military, Economic, Religious etc) and you should get one randomly picked form a category.

Interesting ... this could work... although it might be less fun - i find that having important stuff out of my control is less fun... Perhaps it could become less random as time goes by and beakers intensify - or under certain civics - for example in the modern era a government CAN throw resources heavily at a very specific topic (say, ethanol or wind power) and more or less get the results... but in the ancient times it did seem to be a bit hit and miss (indeed some discoveries were the OPPOSITE of what the state wanted...hello Galileo... :) )

1. Bring back the palace!

2. At least 2 leaders per civilization

3. Changes in tech tree for historical accuracy. For instance, the Representation civic should be unlocked much earlier as ancient civs such as Greece and Rome were republics.

4. Migration due to culture/other factors

5. Overhauled diplomatic system with much more options

6. Improved espionage system

7. Improved naval and siege combat. A very large fleet is required for effective naval combat for similarly powered ships, which is very discouraging. I also agree with the above posters that when a certain amount of units are sieging a city for a certain number of years, it should be besieged and incur losses slowly perhaps in population/food/production/commerce.

8. More victory options

9. More corporations and like someone suggested a corporation designer

10. Every civilization had its golden age, eg. Rome in the classical era. A suggestion is that when a civilization has entered the era which is its true golden age in history, it will be given a free golden age that can be started anytime only within that particular era.

11. More unit promotions

12. Manhattan Project as a national wonder. If you want nukes, you'd have to build the wonder yourself.

1. Bring back the palace!

2. At least 2 leaders per civilization

3. Changes in tech tree for historical accuracy. For instance, the Representation civic should be unlocked much earlier as ancient civs such as Greece and Rome were republics.

4. Migration due to culture/other factors

5. Overhauled diplomatic system with much more options

6. Improved espionage system

7. Improved naval and siege combat. A very large fleet is required for effective naval combat for similarly powered ships, which is very discouraging. I also agree with the above posters that when a certain amount of units are sieging a city for a certain number of years, it should be besieged and incur losses slowly perhaps in population/food/production/commerce.

8. More victory options

9. More corporations and like someone suggested a corporation designer

10. Every civilization had its golden age, eg. Rome in the classical era. A suggestion is that when a civilization has entered the era which is its true golden age in history, it will be given a free golden age that can be started anytime only within that particular era.

11. More unit promotions

12. Manhattan Project as a national wonder. If you want nukes, you'd have to build the wonder yourself.

1. It doesn't add anything into gameplay... if palace would have extra benefits after each improvement then yes.

2. Then we would not have Malinese civ for example or we get some less known guys.

3. You can get Representation with pyramids earlier.

4. Like more democratic civics get more migrants but migration is weakness not strenght... Immigrants are problem in whole western world.

5. Civ3 had possibility to buy tech by gpt but that was abusable so you could made a great deal and then cancel it by cutting off trade route. So new options should be WELL THOUGHT.

6. Everyone agrees that but also see point 5.

7. I think +10% coastal defense should be removed, it makes hard to kick off enemy ships without air strike. Also ships should have option like planes have "air strike" maybe "sea strike" what causes some damage to land units. But then also some land units should be able to damage naval units when they are on coast.

8. But whose?
Maybe Scientific victory? First to Discover 10th Future Tech? But this can be done without spaceship allowed.
Economical victory? Get 100k gc, 1) you never get it or 2) you get it very easily.

There should be new element in the game what gives possibility to have another victory type like culture got introduced in civ3.

9. I would be cautious with corp designer but yes there would be more what uses the other resources. For example Cloth indusry ... where are needed fur, sheep, silk and gives health bonus to each city.

10. But then these civs who get modern era golden age would be disadvantaged because some games never see these eras. Also Ancient GA wouldn't add very much... Remember the problem in civ3 where winning battle with your uu first time got your civ into golden age so warrior/archer/swordsman type UUs were disadvantaged.

11. Agreed, only when these add something into gameplay.

12. Americans had this as project but Russians only stole it.

First to Discover 10th Future Tech? But this can be done without spaceship allowed.
Economical victory? Get 100k gc, 1) you never get it or 2) you get it very easily.

As I said in another topic I'd like to see an economic victory like cornering the world energy market in SMAC, not a fixed amount of money, but dependent on the world economy.

What about a "do or die" button for stack attacking a city? You would think that the cpu could perform some sort of mass calculation of the odds rather than each individual unit. Maybe even have it have it so you get to strategize. first like select 1) suicide cats or 2) bombardment cats and then when you give all your orders, if the stack is more than say, ten units, or something you get to watch an epic little battle movie like lord of the rings or braveheart. But not a cutscene, that would get boring after the first game. I mean a real time rendered thing with your specific units.

:lol: I spy a full-blooded environmentalist/liberal here... nukes his own troops, wears fur, possibly still kills whales and elephants although better and cheaper alternatives now exist... ;)

How about a spotted owl resource for us to exploit while they are at it?:p

I am a huge supporter of "bring back the palace". Who cares if it doesn't add to gameplay - it's top fun! :D

(By "palace" we mean the purely decorative ones we used to build brick by brick in Civs I-III as a reward for progressing in the game)

Now in Civ 5, graphics are way ahead of where they used to be. So here are some ideas for a super-palace!

They could be 3D – we could fly around and over them so they could include LOTS of components – and they could be heavily customizable so they never get dull. Choose between a bunch of base architectural styles, add in garden and interior courtyard options, plus each Civ and each Leader could have a few special embellishments or decorations (you know, the Chinese get dragons on the roof whereas Germans get gargoyles… Louis of France gets chandeliers visible through the windows; Montezuma gets skulls on poles down his driveway, etc). :hammer: Another reason to try playing all the different civs!

Some decorations could also appear depending upon your capital’s resources and characteristics. Think about it… in our world, a lot of Indian art features elephants. But if Gandhi’s Civ 5 capital has wine instead of elephants, maybe his Palace would be decorated with vine leaves instead. The backdrop could change too – if the capital has the Pyramids and a river, you could see them in the distance. If you move your game palace (ie your capital) to another city, your decorations stay intact, but the backdrop changes.

Maybe an added bonus of knowing certain techs would be that they “unlock” certain palace improvements – you can build nicer towers once you have construction, and you can gold-plate them when you have metal working. Doesn’t change gameplay, but it’s a fun detail.

Also visible within or near the Palace could be the memorials to each Civ you have destroyed (was this a feature back in about Civ II? So cool). Some Civs (creative or philosophical ones?) might choose a trophy room visible through a big window with a work of art depicting each conquered Civ. Aggressive or imperialistic civs could have cemetery garden out the back of the palace, with a different fancy tomb or statue for each hapless ex-foe. :trophy2: :trophy2: Etc etc. The look of each memorial could depend upon the era when that enemy bit the dust – ie an ancient tomb or statue would look different from a modern one.

OK – and now I’m really going crazy – maybe in the plaza in front of the palace (which you can also beautify of course) you could have some citizens lounging around. Depending upon the current population, wealth, life-expectancy and happiness of your Civ, you would see more or fewer people, well-dressed or shabby, and they would look more or less happy or healthy. Our miserable medieval limping rag-wearing ulcer-ridden peasants would transform throughout the game into nicely-dressed happy glowing citizens. Their clothes could update with era… maybe they could even wear a few different accessories depending on your Empire’s religion (skullcaps, crucifixes?) and current civics (military caps for Police State? A Rolex for free market? One poor bloke in chains during slavery?) If war weariness is a problem, perhaps graffiti appears on the walls. They don’t have to just stand there, either… maybe Aggressive, Protective and Imperialistic Civs have a few citizens who arm-wrestle, Financial or Organized ones are in the corner gambling and selling stuff, Philosophical and Spiritual ones just drone on and on endlessly. During anarchy they set each other on fire. :trouble:

And finally – if you could kind of “see” the Palace, maybe not in all its glory but at least its major addons, on the main game map screen, like you can see other city improvements, that would be brilliant.

:D :D :D

I am a huge supporter of "bring back the palace". Who cares if it doesn't add to gameplay - it's top fun! :D

(By "palace" we mean the purely decorative ones we used to build brick by brick in Civs I-III as a reward for progressing in the game)

But what you think about after winning a battle each soldier has a chance that you see his hair cutting, his family romance, you can improve his muscles, you can even tell him that gays are normal... but it doesn't add anything into gameplay?

But what you think about after winning a battle each soldier has a chance that you see his hair cutting, his family romance, you can improve his muscles, you can even tell him that gays are normal... but it doesn't add anything into gameplay?

I'm baffled :D but never mind.

Lots of people found the old Palace system great fun and want it brought back - maybe bigger and fancier! Me among them! What I outlined above is a creative graphic representation of the information in the demographics screen. It is also an added incentive to achieve high scores in the various demographics. Hey maybe you could even "save" your Palace at the end of the game. It's no less meaningless than a high score table.

There was also an option to turn it off if you want, which might be for you. :)

I thought of another idea. Bombardment from ships should also damage buildings after city defense is 0%. I think it's nonsensical that you can no longer bombard after the city defense is 0%.

I thought of another idea. Bombardment from ships should also damage buildings after city defense is 0%. I think it's nonsensical that you can no longer bombard after the city defense is 0%.

Then bring back coastal fortresses.

Then bring back coastal fortresses.

Yes, and make them more pro-active! The fortress should be able to return fire against hostile ships nearby, not just soften incoming bombardment.

Or give cannon/artillery units the ability to bombard ships just offshore.

A few ideas for new victories:

1. Economical victory: Have 100 times more gold than any of the other civs.
2. Golden age victory: First civ to have 7 golden ages.
3. Construction victory: First civ to build every building and national wonder in the game (not world wonders and projects).
4. Civic victory: First civ to unlock all civic options (this would have to be made harder by adding a lot more civic options).

As well as modern era you could have 'future era' which you could enter after researching the first future tech and when you enter that era you could build 'super wonders' which could be things that haven't actually been built yet in reality e.g., 'The Space Elevator' (which is already in civ4 as a normal wonder). Super wonders would take longer to build than normal wonders, but their benefits would be better. And this could lead to...

5. Future victory: first civ to build all the future wonders (this is assuming there aren't nearly as many super wonders as normal wonders.)

And what exactly was the castle system because I've only ever played civ4.

While Civ4 is the greatest, Id love to see:

Hi! Please be advised Im a realism nut :)
For one thing, I would like the maps to get bigger. With computers mostly using dual core technology; computers definatley can take it. This can include more civilizations that would make the game even more lifelike.
How about biological weapons, missle silos, secret underground weapons labs (bio, chemical, conventional). These underground labs can be possibly seen by spy satelites or spy planes depending on your funding and tech level. Certain weapons (smart bombs, laser guided bombs, missles) can take them out but you risk either missing, angering the nation and its people and having to face your own countries people who might not like war or the possibility of it. How about the implementation of diplomats.
How about making the cities morelifelike. Can you zoom in and see your city in real action (people walking and going about their lives, cars leaving or entering other cities on highways that you funded and trucks bringing in goods and supplies to your cities throughout your country. On the flip side a country can surgically strike your cities to do damage and ruin your infastructure (roads, telephone lines, water, gas and electricity), and factories both civilian and military can be targeted. Seeing the cities from above is boring, I would like more realism. Im tired of seeing those bland little roads and railroads. I want to see people in my civilization moving from one place to another by road, rail, boat, car, or plane. More commerce can be added if you have airports moving peope and goods from one city or state to another as well as to other countries.
More emphasis in diplomacy. More treaties (polution pact, security pact, trade, no nukes, and no biological weapons. Instead of a simple click to sign a peace treaty why not allow the warring countries have their diplomats meet to come to a deal either in a host country or neutral place. Why not have other countries rulers meet and great other countries (but what out there could be a assasination if you're not very popular).
I'd like to see the game go deep and not have to look at how many turns there are left and see how close to the year 2000. Making this game endless would certainly eliminate the dissapointment that the "end of the turns" is near. I like in BYS that marathon could be implemented. The game could go day to say when calender is researched. Literally going thru the days, weeks and months. Its more realistic in your city screen to see the barracks being constructed and a window says it will take 3 months to complete instead of 3 turns.
Id like to be able to create states or provinces with the option of creating small cities (mining cities, resource gathering, factory cities, major population centers with a mixture of manufacturing, construction, resource gathering and munufacturing), a capital for each state or province that houses your court system (code of laws) and other governmental resources, and the option to create a Capitol complete with your countries constitution (if you call a new style government), or throne (if you want a king and queen ruling with a prime minister at the head of the government), parliamentary style government, or dictator. The Capitol shows whether or not the people love or hate you. You could see lots of pictures of yourself throughout the capitol or slogans and/or protests to see you ousted. Your Capitol could also be a small city with a small population. You could merge several governments together such as a constitutional monarchy or a democratic republic.
The heads of the civilization can be voted in office (depending on the research like government forming, constitution, representation). Would a warmongering head of state be elected or a pacificst who calls all troops and war machines home. Would a dictator be in office and brutally supress his/her country. Would a head of state fire out evil words that could threaten other countries and make the countries alarmed? This could allow the United Nations in Civ4 take more of a role which includes more resolutions, a call for a meeting, security councils, and the offer of other nations to be voted into the World Body.
Civ4 needs to expand the corporations and religion aspect of the game. Can your country create goods only made by your country and have other countries want those goods (youd get extra commerce). Does your country have a state religion or practice freedom of religion? Religion makes people happy. You can also have people in your civilization who dont follow a religion.
Adding water as a resource can improve your peoples lives (adding that poisioning the water by a spy can have a bigger effect). If a disaster happens in one of your cities, will another of your cities help out? Will the government help out? This can have an effect on how your people see you as well as the other countries.
Even though I propose an endless game, of course the game would end if a nuclear winter (all out war with nukes) is caused, biological or chemical weapons destroys the planet or a total cultural domination. This would allow the game to definately have no ends but it certainly can be possible. To not win by military domination can make he game go longer and allow the computer AI to have a "personality" and could learn from the other AI's as well as the human oponenent. Will it live in peace, build a war machine, be cunning, decietful, or slowly enlarge its borders? Can it be a friend for a very long time, a foe for a long time, or will it neutral throughout the game as well? Will it take sides? Will it have the mentality of "whats in it for me?"
Making another expansion or making Civ5 with content as well as others woud simply blow me away and add a ton of realism. It would certainly put a new spin on "just one more turn."

Top Bottom