Things You Like To See in Civ5.

I would like:

Artillery to have greater range as in Civ III and also start off in the game as being able to be captured, with an option to turn that off. Artillery should also be able to hit further.

The Artillery Tree I think should go:
Catapult/Ballista --> Trebuchet --> Canon --> Artillery/Motorised Artillery (Motorised with Industrialistation) --> Mobile Artillery.

Also the Tree For Planes Should Go:
Airship --> Biplane \WW1 Bomber --> Fighter\WWII Bomber --> Jet Fighter (Ie. Gloster Meteor) Jet Bomber (Ie. Canberra Bomber) ---> Cold War/Post Cold War Fighter (Ie. F-15 or something)/Cold War/Post Cold War Bomber (Ie. B-52 Stratofortress) --> Modern Fighter (Ie. F-22 Raptor, F-35)/Modern Bomber (B-1B, F-117, B-2 Spirit).

Also I would like to see the F-117 have a naval variant as was proposed as a naval bomber...

Also improve the Anti-Air aspect of Warfare ie:
WW1 Anti-Aircraft Artillery/Mobile Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Mobile Anti-Aircraft has movement but has a little bit less hit chance due to preparation of site) --> WW2 Flak Battery/Mobile Anti-Aircraft Artillery --> Cold War (Vulcan AAAA, SA-2 Grail, Cold War AAA/Missile Battery) --> Modern (Avenger SAM, Modern Anti-Aircraft Battery)

More ability to use transport equipment such as Trucks coded in. Ie. you can have them but at the moment you can't transport them overseas and it is doubtful that the AI knows how to use them. Also thanks for Helicopter Gunships but now we need transport aircraft that can perform paradrops of some equipment into an area as well as transport helicopters that can land, drop something off and go away.

We also need more options of bringing back the option of rebuilding the radar towers and introducing a dialogue that offers you the choice of using the nearest fighters if any are within range to intercept the incursion with a risk of war. It should be the same with a land-based incursion and there should be certain technologies that upgrade the radar. Ie. possession of advanced flight and radio... Anyway, got to go, there is a storm around.

If Firaxis is successful at making Revolution an scale down but interesting version of civilization then I like to see Civ5 (or Civ Rev tactics) have tactical battles. Tactical battles with the way civ4 is now would drag out way too long yet a scale down version like Revolution may be a good compromise for a strategy/tactical game.

this would turn it into a Total War game with a tile system. not that that's bad, but i think it should be noted.

Also the Tree For Planes Should Go:
Airship --> Biplane \WW1 Bomber --> Fighter\WWII Bomber --> Jet Fighter (Ie. Gloster Meteor) Jet Bomber (Ie. Canberra Bomber) ---> Cold War/Post Cold War Fighter (Ie. F-15 or something)/Cold War/Post Cold War Bomber (Ie. B-52 Stratofortress) --> Modern Fighter (Ie. F-22 Raptor, F-35)/Modern Bomber (B-1B, F-117, B-2 Spirit).
The problem with this is there aren't enough techs to allow proper upgrades for that many planes, but one more stage would be possible

Some cool ideas for sure. I think that there should be a whole new segment added to the tech tree for Future Techs. As mentioned, MECH units would be good.

Also, once Satelites are researched, players should be able to build and deploy (once space shuttles have been built) recon sats and then be able to drill down and look at any spot on the map once per turn per recon satelite. Of course they would be in geo sync orbit and it may take a few turns to get them to the spot you really want to look at.

Definitely more UUs and UBs, also they should roll all the civs and leaders of all the previous Civ games into CIV 5, and maybe add a few more.

Again, more resources, like bringing back Tobacco, and other such things, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, coffee bean, ect. More things to trade and grab up for happiness and money making plantations, etc.

Bigger, more lifelike maps. A spherical world map is cool. All the eye candy touted for Civ Revolution, plus some. Optional of course, lest those with old PCs be left out.

Multiplayer that works, no more waiting in the lobby trying to join a game. Support for big team games like 6v6 team battle ground, or even 10v10.

Team games MUST have balanced dadgum resources, especially freakin metal resources for early game defense / attack. NEVER EVER PUT A START CITY ON TOP OF FREAKIN BRONZE, that should be in the code.

With satellites there needs to be a ASAT Missile as I understand the US was very close to getting their ASAT Missiles to work before the end of the Cold War. They were put into storage in one of the SALT talks in the 80s. It was just a thought the upgrade paths. I was thinking that bomber and fighter became available together perhaps. Also a cruise missile at Rocketry and at fusion after you build the Manhatten Project, you have the option of paying funds to convert a bomber to pick up and carry the atomic bomb, allowing 1946 and early Cold War Scenarios to occur. It is little things like this that need to be considered.

For me, single player is only fun for a few weeks. Then, once I get the hang of it, it's all out Multi-player online gaming. Civ4 Warlords is really fun on 3v3 4v4 or 5v5 team games with "always war" selected. I understand the diplomacy needs fixed, as many have said, but I will be playing all out team war games, so the things I hope to see in Civ 5 are along those lines,

The most exciting part of the game is the ancient era and maybe the following era. Usually in team games the winner is decided in those eras, so the time span is like 30 to 120 minutes tops. In these types of games, the turns are always on blazing, and you always have like 5 to 10 cities to control, and a massive army to control.

The city control interface was much better in Civ 3. The control of units stinks in civ4. If you stack an army once you get it to the enemy city it's impossible to single out the catapults and make them all fire first before the other units, and with like 20 to 30 units, it takes your whole turn just to get them all to attack in the order you want them to.

I don't think the individual control should be taken away, just make it easier to use the units you want with speed, and make them easier to identify. Cats that have bombardment should stand out from ones that have collateral damage, etc.

More in depth battle field tactics would be nice. A bigger force can be beaten by a smaller inferior force with a really good commander in charge.

There should be a big red button you can click that puts your cities in automatic mode where they will build logical military units for you and workers will do logical work actions, ect, so when you go to battle with that stack you spent the last two hours making, you don't get messed over because you have to fart with ten workers and tell five cities to build another catapult. You can just click the button and all you have to control then is the big army.

Everyone just turns off the animations in these games, so no need to make elaborate war scenes, or cheesy leaders dancing in your way on the screen like CIV Revolution. No dorky cartoony stuff. In single player, cool animations for war scenes would be OK. But not on Ladder team war games.

I like Civ3 better in a few other ways. When you made a worker you would lose 1 population and a settler cost you 2. The city would still grow while you made the settler, then once they were made the city population shrank. This made sense. Also, you could join the settler or worker back into a city if you didn't want them. This should be put back in the game.

Ideas as mentioned above about being able to spread crops, seed farms of wheat, ect, is awesome.

Also, we need irrigation back for deserts like Civ3, where you could turn it into something worth having in your city radius. Railroads added plus one gold to the tiles in Civ 3, also good. So a desert tile worth nothing could eventually have one food with irrigation, and one gold with a railroad. A city on an oil field would be more likely with those back in the game.

We need swamps and marshes back, as stated, and any other types of terrains. What about gorges and canyons, requiring civs to build bridges to span their empire. A strategic target for bombers like in the real world. The map needs more detail, more realism. Don't care if it's hexagons or squares, just make it more real.

More crops: barley (which can be used to make beer with the beer tech and give plus one happy the the civ), rye, maze, etc. More luxuries: platinum, jade, pearls in the ocean tiles. More livestock: oxen (which would make workers faster in all but the industrial, modern, and future eras, sheep that produce wool as a commodity to trade and add extra health to cold region cities, chicken, turkey, etc.

Bring back the radar artillery.

ICBMs on trucks.

Highly sophisticated bombs used for carpet bombing ground troops that would be built in cities and then loaded onto bombers.

Cheaper unit upgrade costs.

Someone needs to forward this thread to Firaxis and 2K.

Also as stated, the city radius, the fat cross, needs to be overhauled. This one change would create a new game worth going out and buying. So much of the game revolves around good city locations and the developing of the land within them. As it should always be. Colonies like civ3 were nice to get stuff you needed in places a city would stink in. With hexagon tiles, the fat cross would be a little more of a radius. The center tile would be surrounded by six more tiles, the immediate city radius upon settling. Once the city expands, it would take in an additional 12 tiles. This means 18 total tiles to be worked. I like it!!!

What if the city could expand once more and take in even more tiles? As it stands, the hex map would short us 2 tiles of workable space. Not good!!

When you start the game, you only choose difficulty. Nothing else. Then you appear beside a river, with 50 other people. Then, you start a camp. You can tell some to explore the world outside. You can tell some others to start a farm. And so on.
As time goes and your revire grows, you soon meet other tribes. Maybe you want to be friend with them. Maybe you want to attack them. Then you have to name your tribe, since there are other tribes.

I think the next Civ-game will be the empire version of SimCity Societies.

Instead of RL civs, you have imagianry, completely random civs. They're also evolving and creating new cultures and empires.
Instead of traits you have different social values that indicates your civ:
:hammers: Productivity (Growing population and industry)
:gold: Wealth (More rich people and companies)
:culture: Creativity (More evolved culture)
:religion: Spirituality (Your people will be more religious)
:king: Obedience (More control over your people and civics)
:science: Knowledge (Your people gets smarter and your civ gets more evolved)
You can also go further into these different values to direct them to different subjects.
Productivity:
Making your people work harder gives better results in these areas.
-Growth (Agriculture)
-Resource production
-Industry production
-Construction speed
-Social value production
-Exploration

Wealth:
Doing better deals gives effect in these areas.
-Corporations
-Happiness
-Moneymaking
-Resource dealing

Creativity:
In free civs, the creativity is higher. The later in the game these directions are availible, the more happines do they provide. Each directon also have a special ability.
-Music
-Drama
-Perfoming
-Art
-Theme Park
-Game Design
-Museum

Spirituality:
Your religion is imaginary, but you can effect how the religion should be.
-"Follow the only right learning or DIE!"
-"Desire is human, but is the cause to all miseries"
-"If you do good, you get good reward"
-"Never belive in anyone but yourself"
-"And the ultimate answer to life, universe and everything is, 42"

Obedience:
Probably the easiest value, since you are in charge. Each civic has its own abiltity. Do only select one from each column.
Constitution:
-Despotism
-Monarchy
-Democracy
-Technocracy

Direction:
-Fascism/Orwellianism
-Nazism
-Ecotopia
-Liberalism
-Fundamentalism
-Militarism

Economy:
-Exterem-capitalism
-Capitalism
-Neutral market
-Merchantalism
-Communsism

Knowledge:
It's perhaps the smartest value to direct in. But what you direct your people's
intelligence can verify in stupidity/intelligence.
-Warfare
-Ecology
-Economy
-Medicine
-Energy
-Technology
-Government
-Education

In the different social values, you apart in percent on how much you should focus on that diection. As your empire grows, so does the efficiency of your social values. You can also focus more on one or more different values in percent (Average 16.66666%).

And yes, it's true. You can rule a candy empire, where the spies main missions is to give candy to the cities. Which leads to the population gets fat. :evil:

And so on.

P.S. You should be able to play in future in Civ. Just like in CTP. :please:

I like the idea for Civ Revolution where you can explore and discover cool artifacts that give special benefits to the finder. Another good idea to carry over from Revolution to CIV 5 is the ability to take three units and make an army that is stronger than the sum of it's parts. Those ideas can probably be expanded and improved for the more complex PC gamers.

I would like a better set of advisors as the advisors really don't seem to be that useful in telling you all that much about the enemy AI. I really do like the idea of advisors whose efficiency changes with time and technology where the longer you have been in contact with someone, the more you understand them.

What if the city could expand once more and take in even more tiles? As it stands, the hex map would short us 2 tiles of workable space. Not good!!

There've been "city expansion" notions floated since people were doing Civ 2 design; I presume it's not been inmplemented because it's difficult to balance.

Personally, I feel squares are what makes it Civ, and I would sacrifice a lot of other things to be sure of not having hexes.

I'm sorry if some of these are contained elsewhere in this thread. If they are, just count me as seconding your opinion.

1. The combat system needs huge revamps, especailly for the anceint/classical and medieval periods. Armes should not fight one unit at a time, with the defender automatically selecting the unit that is specifically geared to kill it. Catapults and trebuchets should be either completely useless or the next thing to it out on the field. Supply should be crippling, at least for sending troops great distances and over long wars. You should not be able to conquer the world by 1000 AD on Monarch.

Secondly, while I (sort of) like the victory conditions, there's something a bit odd with them. If you're going for say, a cultural victory, you decide early in the game, like turn 50, that you're going for culture, and race for religions, found exactly 9 cities, etc, so that you can get to 50,000 in three cities ASAP. For a spaceship, you race for the education/flight techs. Domination, you build troops and troops and troops. Etc.

What I don't like about it is that it promotes the idea that the way to win is to build an "idiot savant" Civilization, that does one thing extremely well and is kind of lame on all other fronts. I know the score win is kind of ducky, but there should be some way of rewarding the player who goes a bit into science and a bit into culture and fights a bit.

On the "fluff" side, I liked the palace and the silly advisors, but I wouldn't bring them back at the expense of gameplay.
My 2 cents.

What I am suggesting is that the advisors need a reason to be in there. They need to provide some sensible purpose otherwise they are code for the sake of code. But isn't that what happens a lot in the real world? Besides Domination you still have a focus on science, or at least I do. I generally play MaxRiga Mod and when I go for Domination/Conquest it is about 1980-1990 after having played the 1900s mod scenario. I don't know some of the unit gaps appear to need more work and thought. It seems you start off with WW2 Aircraft at Flight and then suddenly you are at the F-15 Strike Eagle when the bomber is still WW2 until you get to composites which give you stealth aircraft.

I will love to see the following things

-Terrain Animation: Deserts are sweeping into grasslands, drying up rivers, and Forests and spreading their trees and turning lands into grasslands. I want to see Animations of the land changing!

-Better Animation on the improvements: Ah the workshop, how even you selected it to be worked on by a citizen, and yet no animation. Well i think it's time for better animations for the improvements. Roads are filled with horses during the ages till industrial when the roads are used for vehicles, passing by from town to town, the towns are animated to see it being active when it's close to a city. the farms rotate every turn (crop rotation), and castles are active when you see the nations flag mounted atop of the roof of the castle.

-World Religions: new religions have appeared, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, Jewish, Scientology, Wicca, Taoism... Religions from the past and present, if you want... the future religions.

-Future Era: Ah, the age of Cyborgs, Hover Tanks, Armed Robotic Machines, all those, and the more we progress into the future... we can build "The Genesis Project" and try to construct another world! We have Phychic powers, and virtual computer appearing into the world (think of a virus that can turn this world into... a computer).

-Travel to more worlds: Civilization 5 must have the ability to spread a race into another planet, and take the fight in another planet... or an alien race invades ours!

Sounds good, we can hope that they do more work on the future age and have an editable limit rather than a hard-coded one for the end of the game. This would make mods better by being able to add in more units, more technologies more interesting flavour without that annoying turn limit appearing.

Some things that are needed
-The viking scenario 'ransom' option when attacking cities. The status of 'ransomed'(cannot be attacked or ransom demands will no longer be accepted) will have to wear off

-AI Diplomacy needs to be more forgiving in "You declared war on us/our friend." I once attacked America, met Carthage and got the negative modifier for attacking their friend. I convinced Carthage to attack America, a few hundred years later Carthage is Furious towards America, but I still have the negative modifier. (Also as mentioned before waring nations can become allies much faster in reality then in the game)

-Combat needs to be more strategic, possibly fight battles like a real time fight(Total war, legion arena, Battle for middle earth); or being able to group units together strategically to make an army that will function better (each unit representing 10-100 men depending on era).

Top Bottom