Things you only just now realized

Not sure if this was posted before but I had no idea that:

If you are playing teams (as we did this past weekend in MP) you can drop your own GG citadel on your teammates land and steal their land. lol.

This can't be working as intended.

I was attacking a city and his teammate brought troops and a GG to help out. Not sure if he accidentally hit the citadel button or what but he stole all the tiles next to the city and basically screwed over his teammate. Was hilarious but pretty much ruined the game.

I didn't get a screenshot - was laughing too hard, but I'm trying to get the host who saved the game to get me one.

I would say that makes sense, What if your culture city's borders extended far past their 3 tile radius and was enveloping your allies city taking his wheat and sheep? You wouldn't mind giving that land back right?

Not sure if this was posted before but I had no idea that:

If you are playing teams (as we did this past weekend in MP) you can drop your own GG citadel on your teammates land and steal their land. lol.

This can't be working as intended.

I was attacking a city and his teammate brought troops and a GG to help out. Not sure if he accidentally hit the citadel button or what but he stole all the tiles next to the city and basically screwed over his teammate. Was hilarious but pretty much ruined the game.
Yep, we use this often. Gives you some mighty strange looking maps sometimes! I view it as intentional - realistically a supplied citadel can exert a lot of influence on the surrounding territory.

Not sure it should ruin the game, though. I believe the city owner can give the city to his teammate (abusive tactic often useful for happiness reasons), and then the teammate can give the city right back. That should restore most, if not all, of the original city tiles back to the city.

Yep, we use this often. Gives you some mighty strange looking maps sometimes! I view it as intentional - realistically a supplied citadel can exert a lot of influence on the surrounding territory.

Not sure it should ruin the game, though. I believe the city owner can give the city to his teammate (abusive tactic often useful for happiness reasons), and then the teammate can give the city right back. That should restore most, if not all, of the original city tiles back to the city.

Sounds like a good idea but can you give your Capital city away? And the teammate who got his land stolen wasn't too happy.. lol :lol: :mischief:

You can build farms on snow tiles. Rolled a map with a 1 tile lake surrounded by snow. Had good access to strategic resources and a lux. I disregarded it because of the snow tiles. Rome didn't and he to my surprise he built farms on the tiles by the lake.

Another obvious one but a favorite of mine, units set to explore will stop once satellites are discovered. One of my favorite features, love the little touches.

I always knew that both spoke Arabic, but not being an Arabic speaker I only just noticed that Ramesses' and Harun's hostile greeting is exactly the same. :eek:

Just realized in a game yesterday that artillery can shoot over mountains.

ps: First post to CivFanatics!

That is a very useful thing to know about.

And welcome to the forums! :D

That you can sell your first 4 aqueducts before completing the tradition tree, that the CN tower gives broadcast towers to your puppets too and that railroads are awesome. And thanks to the forum, that the workers are left-handed.

The + :) policy in the Commerce tree gives +2 :) for every luxury, not every unique luxury.

You mean that if you have 2 (or more of a certain luxury, not traded for any reason) you would get +2 for each copy? I never finished Commerce, but that would be a good reason for doing so.

You mean that if you have 2 (or more of a certain luxury, not traded for any reason) you would get +2 for each copy? I never finished Commerce, but that would be a good reason for doing so.

That was an incorrect assumption from a misleading label. It's just the +2 per each unique luxury. Still an extremely powerful SP, probably the single biggest +happiness boost in the game.

Thank you, still good anyway, but IIRC it is the last branch from Commerce, isn't it? Usually I go Tradition / Liberty at first, then Rationalism and then Order OR Autocracy (depending on how the game is developing by the time I start my 4th SP tree). If I still have time for a 5th SP tree, I go for Commerce, so I never really got this +2 :) thing.

Oh a few more... that completing tradition gives you free aqueducts even when you don't have the tech to build them. On the other hand, if you are playing as Dido, you still need to research the wheel to have your free harbors working as trade routes. Anyone else find this a little strange?

A little strange, but it is arguably consistent with how harbors work for other civs, given that full benefit from harbors requires two techs (not the case for aqueducts).

If another civ were to tech Compass and build harbors before teching the Wheel, that civ would get the same harbor production bonus that Carthage gets for free, but, like Carthage, would not get the trade route until it researches the Wheel.

Needlessly complicated (there's no reason they couldn't have designed Compass to give water trade routes), but there you are.

That you can sell your first 4 aqueducts before completing the tradition tree.

Never thought to selling what was built prior to completing Tradition! Excellent TIP!
Also....I discovered my Capital cities' Monument DID NOT convert to FREE status in the same Tradition strategy.

If you already have a monument when you take Legalism, your existing monument doesn't become free; in G&K, you will get a free amphitheater when you tech Drama & Poetry.

If you already have a monument when you take Legalism, your existing monument doesn't become free; in G&K, you will get a free amphitheater when you tech Drama & Poetry.

Yes...and when you build the Great Library...your built Library does become free. Add this to the Nitpicky things I want to see changed. Free monument (if built) in capital please with Legalism!

Retroactive free monument with Legalism? No thanks. Rather have free amphitheater.

If you have a monument already and want a free monument from Legalism, you might try selling your existing monument right before taking Legalism -- get some gold on sale and then a free monument. Haven't done this, but suspect it would work.

I suppose you could also do this if you already built a library and then built the GL, although I can't say I've ever built both a regular library and the GL. :crazyeye:

Retroactive free monument with Legalism? No thanks. Rather have free amphitheater.

If you have a monument already and want a free monument from Legalism, you might try selling your existing monument right before taking Legalism -- get some gold on sale and then a free monument. Haven't done this, but suspect it would work.

I suppose you could also do this if you already built a library and then built the GL, although I can't say I've ever built both a regular library and the GL. :crazyeye:

Me...I would rather wait and get free Opera Houses actually ;) BUT if you get a game where you built that Monument out of the gate and have to go that policy branch in full...why not get that cash early on?

Top Bottom