1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you only just now realized

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nefloyd, Jul 24, 2012.

1. deo

deo Emperor

You can select an option on the menu where automated workers don't replace existing improvements, just in case.

2. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Some things I wish they would bring back are automate this city only and create a trade network. I like to do my capital by hand but will sometimes automate for the others. I definitely can't use automate if I built a city away from my others or my workers get captured or killed in the water.

3. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Oh no, I love this feature! I wish I was clever enough to notice it before. I've always known that trading post spam over farms would be the ideal thing to do after you no longer need the food surplus--I just get lazy and don't want to manually build 50+ trading posts across my empire.

4. King_Course

King_Course Prince

I haven't just realised this, but just realised it might be beneficial for others to know if they haven't found out.

On the first turn you can restart. Sometimes, like OCC, you will like to scout a bit for a few turns and then will probably like to restart again.

Instead of going out of the game and have to create a new game through the settings. You can just load auto save initial, get back to your first turn and then restart from within the game that way.

5. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Yea I like that too, but since you can just reload the original save then restart, why don't they just let you restart whenever, or at least make it a number of turns in instead of instantly.

6. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

That the best quality of the Huns is actually the +1 hammer from pastures.

7. ense7en

ense7en n7

And free Animal Husbandry at the start. Let's you know exactly where you'll want to settle.

I love to take God of the Open Sky (+1 culture from pastures) with them; boosts you through the policies.

Horse archers and rams are pretty awesome too if you have nearby neighbors.

8. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Yeah, an early ruin Ram is... wicked against hapless city-states with zero early military

Spoiler :

9. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

When you build a Citadel adjacent to an enemy city, the city itself suffers -30 damage per turn, not only the enemy units inside and outside.

10. PostConsumerWat

PostConsumerWat Chieftain

you can name your units, changing their name from "spearman," or whatever. I haven't actually done it yet, but I saw it in a facebook post from Fireaxis... :cool:

11. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Interesting. I never noticed the city taking damage before, but I definitely like using the citadel to wipe out the garrison.

12. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

I use it to identify upgraded privateers. Nice to know wich destroyers have the prize ship promotion.

13. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

you cant do this at any time though, only when a unit is promoted. there will be 'edit' in the right corner of the promotion and you have to rename it before you choose the promotion. kind of irritating if you arent in the habit of changing names. i tend to get into click-fests during combat and forget to rename them, haha.

14. jddods

jddods Prince

somebody wrote some code so you can do this anytime, i liked the idea but hesitant fiddling with stuff like that for fear of braking the game.
    anyhow do a search on hear to find it, i think it was like two months ago

15. Væringjar

Væringjar Warlord

if you found your city on marble it gives you wonder bonus.

and quick question; if I found city next of marble, still get wonder bonus?

16. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Ctrl + Q causes you to quit the game and see the defeat screen. I had happen the other day when my Ctrl key got stuck; I pressed Q to finish a Quarry, the game kinda hung, and then, boom, I lost. Confused the hell out of me.

17. ahawk

ahawk King

Probably on here long ago, but I take screenshots so, so sparingly:

Shift + F12 is how to take screenshots on Steam by default. But, this also causes me to load my most recent Cloud save. Thus, if I take a screenshot by keyboard commands, I take the screenshot and promptly load a different game. Is this something others have ran into? I've had Steam since Counter-Strike came out as a mod for Half-Life, and sometimes I'm still surprised at the user-interface choices.

18. ahawk

ahawk King

You get the bonus in whichever city is capable of working the Marble once the tile has been improved; you don't need to settle on it or next to it.

19. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Just to make sure we're all talking about the same things, ahawk is correct when you don't settle on the marble--you need to research masonry and improve the marble tile to get the wonder production bonus.

But, if you do settle on the marble, as Varangian Rus says, you get the marble wonder bonus in that city from the moment of founding, even if you haven't researched masonry. You don't get marble as a happiness-generating/tradable luxury, however, until you research masonry.

20. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

THIS is exactly how I use Great Generals.

Also useful to take over enemy road networks since the movement bonus is moot when the road is behind enemy lines. Gaining enemy roads is a major boon for artillery since they can still move a couple hexes (with the appropriate tech researched for expanded movement) along a road, deploy and fire within one turn.