This is such ****

Yzman

Deity
I am trying to win on apollo. My game has been going great and I looked like a shoe in. I am playing this game after I lost my last game on Apollo by 1 turn.

So I built the beacon. A few turns later 2 AI both built mind flower. I thought no big deal, I have a lead on them.

Well guess what happens again. I get beat by 1 turn. I wish I could tell you who it was, but the game plays the ending dialogue at the same time that someone is asking me to declare war on someone else. Of course I can't do anything and the game gets stuck and I have to force exit.

Ranting and glitch aside, I need a way to delay them 1 turn. What can I do? I AM NOT trying another game again. I deserve this victory.

Ok I am officially confused now. I found the mind flower I thought was preventing me from winning and destroyed it...but it still has me lose with one turn to go. It is almost like I am losing when I should be winning. I'm not sure what to do.

Edit: I confirmed in the Hall of Fame that they won by transcendence still. How can they win if I have destroyed the mind flower? My destroying it didn't even save me a turn? I don't buy it.

That sucks, mate.

I have another question regarding apollo... How do you stop AI from waging war with you once they started it, without actually destroying half their empire (too tedious of an operation to bother)? Obviously I cannot outproduce them, and so even though their units keep dying with roughly 25:1 rate, they still have more units at all times and so will refuse peace indefinitely. :think:

That sucks, mate.

I have another question regarding apollo... How do you stop AI from waging war with you once they started it, without actually destroying half their empire (too tedious of an operation to bother)? Obviously I cannot outproduce them, and so even though their units keep dying with roughly 25:1 rate, they still have more units at all times and so will refuse peace indefinitely. :think:

good summary. short of nukes (can someone mod this please) perhaps you can try pillaging all their lands. this way they keep their cities that you dont want, their economy is ruined and their production slows. I remember this worked in civ5, enough pillaging and they sue for peace.

I tend to prep for war whenever I get see someone hit the 13 affinity marker, even if I am 2 affinities behind. Once my affinity rank up to hover unit I sail across the sea to attack them. I do not take risks when it come to end game. All of my Apollo game end with me or the AI going to war. Phase transporter require you to be close or at least take one of their cities to have orbital coverage. It is disappointing that the times you need to hack satellites your intrigue on the city with all of the satellites is way to low.

good summary. short of nukes (can someone mod this please) perhaps you can try pillaging all their lands. this way they keep their cities that you dont want, their economy is ruined and their production slows. I remember this worked in civ5, enough pillaging and they sue for peace.

I guess I could try that, but lack of fast units in this game is troublesome. Or maybe I'm missing something. Now, what units are best for fast pillaging in BE? Purity line...

If only there could be some kind of war weariness mechanic in the game. The more people (units, citizens) die, the more unhappy (in this case unhealthy) the empire becomes, forcing you to end the war. Of course that entails the happiness... sorry, health system rebalancing to make it actually matter, but that's another question.

Just dreaming again...

If only there could be some kind of war weariness mechanic in the game. The more people (units, citizens) die, the more unhappy (in this case unhealthy) the empire becomes, forcing you to end the war. Of course that entails the happiness... sorry, health system rebalancing to make it actually matter, but that's another question.

Just dreaming again...

Nah, wouldn't work, I'd just nerve staple the war weary proletariat into submission. oh wait, wrong game. :mischief:

There is a bug were if you destroy a mind flower the turn before they would win-they win anyway.
I haven't had a opportunity to to test to see if killing the mind flower faster makes a difference yet, but if you destroy it the turn before they claim victory, they still win.
Another mind flower related bug, the AI progress on mind flower doesn't reset despite the civlopedia saying it does reset while destroyed. (although I'm not sure if thats a bug of a late-game design decision as mind flower is the only victory condition that says it resets.)

I destroyed it quite a few turns before they were set to win. At least 5 turns. So I am not sure how to turn this game around since it doesn't seem to matter when it is destroyed. I think I have some autosave 20 turns before but not sure when I last saved before that. I really don't want to have to try a 3rd time when the game keeps cheating me out of victory. I want to try to salvage this game. ..maybe I wait for them to hopefully fix the glitch?

Kill one they'll build another, you need to wipe that player out to stop them.

They got it faster becaseu Xeno[something]s and Mindstems both increase the transcendence victory points per turn, whereas the beacon is a fixed number of turns. At least, according to the description in game...

Firaxis is totally willing to fix all the bugs in the upcoming 50 dollar patch, or the 50 dollar patch after that. It worked for Civ V.

-

Personally I am stuck on Mercury (MERCURY!). I've been playing Civ for well over a decade now, CTP, AC, III, IV, and V all had stupid things about them, but they made sense to me out the box and I started off on Reagent/Prince difficult. But with BE me I'm still trying to grapple with the relative brevity of the games, the "will this move lead to a win in the next 25 turns or are you a moron?" is causing me a LOT of trouble. It's all endgame and the games aren't lasting long enough for me to familiarize myself even with what the AI is doing. I want a game of Civilization to last a week, what the heck is this?

Kill one they'll build another, you need to wipe that player out to stop them.

They got it faster becaseu Xeno[something]s and Mindstems both increase the transcendence victory points per turn, whereas the beacon is a fixed number of turns. At least, according to the description in game...

I can't wipe them out. They control half of the map. I don't care if they build another one because I need to stall for one turn. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that. Destroying the flower didn't work. Would destroying the flower AND capturing the city work? If that doesn't work I have no idea.

Maybe a player can win without the flower as long as he can get enough victory points from the stems? That would be an interesting, though probably unintentional, game mechanic. Anyway, as soon as the beacon was finished you should have gone all out military, both to protect yourself and stomp the other guys.

Maybe a player can win without the flower as long as he can get enough victory points from the stems? That would be an interesting, though probably unintentional, game mechanic. Anyway, as soon as the beacon was finished you should have gone all out military, both to protect yourself and stomp the other guys.

I think I am going to try this. I'm not sure how far my saves go back though. I will complete the beacon and then attack them with everything that I have. The whole situation is just frustrating.

Well I somehow pulled it off this time. I loaded 20 turns prior, my earliest autosave and sent a huge wave or troops capturing one city and destroying the flower again, about 10 turns earlier than I had previously. This allowed me to win.

I never captured the city the flower was in, just destroyed the flower like last time. The only thing that was different was the amount of time I destroyed the flower in. That must play a role. I wish we understood this mechanic better.

No matter, I likely won't be playing on apollo difficulty again...I just don't find it fun.

Theyre making apolo harder in the first patch!

Fun.

You accrue Harmony points for victory civ-wide - so they can't be lost when you lose cities. For example, if you sell your XenoSanctuaries and MindStems right before victory, you don't lose all the points they previously contributed. And if the mindflower is destroyed and rebuilt, it picks up right were it left off before. So that suggests that the total points are being saved and carried over.

Anyone know how many points the MindFlower itself is supposed to give per turn?

ETA: Looks like one per turn? You only need 30 points?

You accrue Harmony points for victory civ-wide - so they can't be lost when you lose cities. For example, if you sell your XenoSanctuaries and MindStems right before victory, you don't lose all the points they previously contributed. And if the mindflower is destroyed and rebuilt, it picks up right were it left off before. So that suggests that the total points are being saved and carried over.

Anyone know how many points the MindFlower itself is supposed to give per turn?

ETA: Looks like one per turn? You only need 30 points?

That seems unlikely to me. If the mind stems and sanctuaries are worth a point each then that would make it so you could get all of the points without needing the mindflower. Unless they just give a one time 1 point and the flower gives a point a turn. That may make sense. Can anyone look in the code and find the hard numbers for this?

Top Bottom