1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This is the formula for deciding whether to irrigate or mine

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by kangyio, Nov 11, 2003.

1. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

You should make that clear by editing the first post of this thread. Otherwise when posters click on the link in your sig, they're more than likely looking for help with the early game shield/pop balance, when it's far more critical.

2. kangyio

kangyio Chieftain

Point taken.:)

3. superslug

I'm glad to see your first post isn't as misleading now. The reason I suggested it is because the majority of players sifting through these threads simply aren't going to read every post. While I'm sure the community will appreciate your contribution, it doesn't earn you the right to stick your nose in the air.

Besides, your 'work' would be easier to read through if you bothered spacing after your periods.

4. kangyio

kangyio Chieftain

???
    I am sorry if I said something wrong,I do not intend to offend anybody on any situation at any time.You seem to have taken my last post very seriously,I am deeply sorry for the word I posted if you found that offensive.I'll just change that to 'point taken',is that ok now?:rolleyes:

5. zagnut

zagnut Monarch

Thanks for your work on this, Kangyio. I haven't read through it in detail, but it looks like it will be very useful.

Don't take the irritation expressed by other posters too much to heart. Many people only want to criticize and seem to forget the amount of work someone like you has put into a project such as this. It is not as if you are compelled to do it. You do it because you want to help. Sometimes the people who are quick to criticize forget that.

6. superslug

Zagnut: Kangyio and I made peace via PM. His work is indeed going to be a helpful contribution to players.

7. GIDustin

GIDustin Chieftain

I finally got around to compiling this for everyone.

- GIDustin

(Note: The new file is in EXE format so anyone can use it)

Attached Files:

8. superslug

That's a very simple to use interface. I like it! I was far far too harsh earlier about this. You see, all of my current Civ games are for the HOF, and this will come in very handy each game. When I've got most of the land irrigated and all railroaded, I want to build Longevity as quickly as possible for the score boost. This tool will allow me to maximize the shields without dropping the population!

9. GIDustin

GIDustin Chieftain

So it worked? There were a few problems I ran into (kangyio renaming files for ease, but then the program couldnt find them) so I had to re-do parts of it.

I like the interface too, but I still wish there was a way to change certain values, like a checkbox for despotism, and a checkbox for harbor, and also boxes where you can input the food/shield value of the different types of terrain so that it can be used on modded versions of civ3 as well. Perhaps if I learn that formula, I can add the boxes myself...

- GIDustin

10. kangyio

kangyio Chieftain

Sorry I haven't been around recently to say thank you to you GIDustin,I downloaded your calculator,it's a wonderful exe program.
    This formula is getting old as the new terrains appear in conquest,I haven't been able to update this as soon as possible due to other things I have to sort out first.Now I'm pretty much done,so I guess the addition of marsh terrain etc could be put into the calculation.Or indeed as GIDustin suggested,whether we could find a general way of doing this in any given mod with different terrain properties to the original game.(Am I daydreaming here :) )

11. kangyio

kangyio Chieftain

I am really sorry all my screen shots are gone,my pictures in my site have been deleted without informing me by my classmate!!She added some extremely low quality pictures about nothing......
    I don't want to mention that ******** anymore.

12. kangyio

kangyio Chieftain

GIDustin,I have updated my first post with the compiled calculator posted,thank you again for the great work.

13. GIDustin

GIDustin Chieftain

No problem :)

If you make another to support mods or the conquests terrain or whatever, let me know and I will compile it for you again.

- GIDustin

14. e_a_olson

e_a_olson Gentleman and Diplomat

I get "run-time error 13: Type mismatch" when I use the following inputs: 12 floodplains, 4 desert, 3 mountains, 1 hill.

edit: I figured it out. This error occurs if zeroes are not entered for the terrain that does not exist. Maybe the next release will allow the user to omit the zeroes?

15. excite

excite Chieftain

I have also made an Irrigation Calc too if anyone is interested. No crash bugs AFAIK and its a little more user friendly/quicker to use :)

Attached Files:

16. Longasc

Longasc Chieftain

nice calc, excite! Thumbs up!

Now I will embarass you: I almost never use these calcs, in the early game I do not need them and in the late game I rarely care. But it is a really well done programme. Someone should combine all those tools, especially ainwoods seedbeast and such calculators like this and the combat calcs. :)

17. excite

excite Chieftain

I just had to update my calc due to Pause/Break actually being the pause key in Civ3 multiplayer. This has now been changed to F12 or the "-" key.

The link to the calc in my previous post has been updated to the new version :)