1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This is Where it Always Starts Downhill

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by LowEndUser, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jazzmail

Jazzmail King

I didn't expect to learn anything new from this thread, but this is interesting.
    What is this uncorruptible bonus, exactly?
    I know the formulas by Alexman, but it mentions no such thing. It says Vanilla is <95&#37; and C3C is <90%. How does monarchy affect this figure?

2. MAS

MAS Deity

@Jazzmail I actually didn't gave any new information, I only explained the government stats from a different perspective.

The bonus that the monarchy government gives is the free unit upkeep per city, this is roughly the same as 1gpt per free unit because thats the standard upkeep cost per unit. This bonus is not effected by corruption. But it is lost if you don't actually use it up.
    The bonus that republic gives is the extra base commerce, witch is way more than 4gpt, assuming the city is large enough, but is effected by corruption. It can also be used for upkeep/science/cash whatever you need.

Assuming you use up all free unit upkeep and all commerce bonus to supporting units. The bonus monarchy gives eventually becomes better than the bonus republic gives as you get more cities. But you usually don't get that many units anyway, so it doesn't matter, and republic remains the best choice.

Or to make it even more clear:
    2 gpt per town, 4 gpt per city, and 8 gpt per metropolis, but it can only be used for units.

3. Jazzmail

Jazzmail King

@MAS : ah I see. ok. :)

4. Optional

Optional Deity

Dear LowEndUser,

I know that a lot of people have already advised you to build more workers, but I'm afraid that you'll still be going like; 'yes, more workers, but that means less military, that leaves me more vulnerable to attack...'.

You're worrying about defence. I'd like to give the following observation:
    Take a horse, a simple horse. It's got a movement of 2. It can go 2 tiles one way, it can go 2 tiles the other way. A tile less if there's a forest or something else impeding it. That's without roads. Your horse has a radius it can defend that isn't big in an empire without roads.
    Now take that same horse and put it in an empire with roads. Roads increase movement by a factor 3. Your horse, that earlier could go 2 tiles, now can go 6 tiles. It can go 6 tiles one way, it can go 6 tiles the other way. That's a diameter of 12 tiles. Actually 13; there's also the tile the horse is standing on. This means that a horse can actually defend an area the full with of your empire as you've posted it in post #50, provided there are roads.
    Because roads increase the movement rate of your units by a factor 3, this effectively means that in a roaded empire you would only need a third of the military units to still have the same cover against an initial attack compared to an unroaded empire.
    Of course, in a real game there will be restrictions of all sorts, but in general: the better your roads, the less units you'll need for defence. In real history you'll see that civilizations that had a good military organisation usually were good roadbuilders as well.
    It's nice that in this game you can draw so many lines to real history, isn't it?

5. ilovesimgolf

ilovesimgolf Chieftain

LowEndUser,

Check the War Academy (CivIII, of course) and there should be an article about the best way to handle the REX stage. One trick is a certain build order (which can, and should be edited to suite your needs) that involves building a granary first, then a settler.

Good luck with your game!

--ilovesimgolf

6. MAS

MAS Deity

@Optional

A small nitpick:
    The radius of a horse on roads would be 6, 12(13) is the diameter.
    [/ small nitpick]