[NFP] Three Persona Pack Suggestions

I think the new persona packs were well received. I for one would like to see more of. It adds more flavor to the game and brings a new way to play a civ.

Immortal Gilgamesh: Immortality through Writing – Palace has three great works slots instead of the usual 1. Earns a unique work of writing (Epic of Gilgamesh) once the writing technology is completed.

Guardian Robert the Bruce: Guardian of Scotland – Receive +1 amenity per city for each era you are not at war. Stacks for consecutive eras of peace. If you are the target of a declaration of war this bonus is converted to combat bonus for all your unit types. (and resets to 0 when you make peace)

Crusader Barbarossa – Holy Crusade - +5 combat strength when on a different continent than your capital. Holy War casus belli gained a civic sooner and can be declared immediately after denouncing. Military units cost 25% less for the first 10 turns after declaring a holy war.

Unique Unit: Teutonic Knight (from one of the scenarios)

Last edited:
Immorality through Writing

You mean immortality right? I don't see anything immoral about Gilgamesh (he doesn't even declare surprise war on me once we are friend!).

Guardian Robert the Bruce: Guardian of Scotland – Receive +1 amenity per city for each era you are not at war. Stacks for consecutive eras of peace. If you are the target of a declaration of war this bonus is converted to combat bonus for all your unit types. (and resets to 0 when you make peace)

This one is nice and interesting. The other two is a little weak. One Great Work of Writing is clearly worse than Rome's free monuments (the tourism part can be safely ignored in early game).

You mean immortality right? I don't see anything immoral about Gilgamesh (he doesn't even declare surprise war on me once we are friend!).

lol. Fixed.

Crusader Barbarossa – Holy Crusade - +5 combat strength when on a different continent than your capital. Holy War casus belli gained a civic sooner and can be declared immediately after denouncing. Military units cost 25% less for the first 10 turns after declaring a holy war.

Unique Unit: Teutonic Knight (from one of the scenarios)
I was thinking how cool it would be to have Conqueror Saladin and make him deal with Holy Wars, but Crusader Barbarossa also would fit.

I would like king Afonso I of Kongo using his best Christian clothes.

As his soul desires in the sky...

@Alexander'sHetaroi

Actually would be great to have crusades era Persona packs for Barbarossa and Saladin.

Saladin - Jihad - While in a Holy War any city you capture is automatically converted to your majority religion. +25% science/faith +5 loyalty per city for 10 turns after converting rival holy city.
That's just an off the cusp idea - perhaps you have a better one.

@hhhhhh

2 extra great works slot at the palace would be powerful. Although you are right, 1 great work of writing isn't that powerful. Perhaps Ziggurats could also provide +1 great writer point per turn (provided Zigs get the much over due cannot be placed adjacent to eachother modificer)? Having a hard time working out the direction I'd like to see for this. The main thing is I would like to see a different more cultured path for Sumeria to take.

Perhaps Ziggurats could also provide +1 great writer point per turn (provided Zigs get the much over due cannot be placed adjacent to eachother modificer)?
That would be too strong. Maybe Palace provide 1 GW point? (So in Turn 40 when people start to generate GW point you already get 40, and that can be doubled via the Pingala promotion.)

I know you were thinking more of the mechanical side, but thinking of the visual side for a moment...

Immortal Gilgamesh
They're already cashing in hard on the "two-thirds divine" thing. What more could they do with him short of painting his skin gold and shooting lightning bolts out of his eyes? :p

Crusader Barbarossa
Again, I feel like this is the Barbarossa we already have, visually, in the game. Sure, the plate armor is anachronistic, but I can assure you he didn't just sit around his throne room in full armor (in fact, it would have been considered extremely discourteous to do so). (Plus, strictly speaking, he never made it to the Crusade. He had an unfortunate encounter with the Saleph River.)

Palace has three great works slots instead of the usual 1. Earns a unique work of writing (Epic of Gilgamesh) once the writing technology is completed.
I'd rather save an ability like this for Assyria TBH.

@ Zaarin
I didn't get into the aesthetics. For gilgamesh I was actually picturing a more cultured looking character with salt/pepper hair. After Enkidu died Gilgamesh became contemplative and obsessed with immortality, and while he didn't achieve it he did live a long life. He ultimately became somewhat immortal through literature. I would just like a non-domination option to play Sumeria and an alternate persona pack centered on culture/great works of writing (however that is realized) could be that way.

I would think that Assyria would be similar to Civ 5 and be domination centered, in particular towards sieges.

True enough about Barbarossa, but he did muster forces for the crusades, which is what my bonus for him focused on. Part of my logic is just wanting to get Teutonic Knights, which are already in a scenario, as a UU for Germany!

I didn't get into the aesthetics. For gilgamesh I was actually picturing a more cultured looking character with salt/pepper hair. After Enkidu died Gilgamesh became contemplative and obsessed with immortality, and while he didn't achieve it he did live a long life. He ultimately became somewhat immortal through literature.
I mean, yes, I've obviously read The Epic of Gilgamesh. :p I'm resentful enough of how barbarously they portrayed Gilgamesh that I don't really want a persona pack; I want a ground-up remodel that actually makes him look Sumerian. :p

I would just like a non-domination option to play Sumeria
See, I've never seen them as a Dom civ. Sure, they have a powerful unit early, but otherwise most of their abilities are just science snowballing. But maybe that's because I play peacefully and am willing to ignore Domination-related bonuses as long as the civ has something else to offer... :dunno:

I would think that Assyria would be similar to Civ 5 and be domination centered, in particular towards sieges.
I'm still crossing my fingers for a cultural/builder Assyria, especially in the absence of Babylon and presence of "Sumeria." I'm bored with the militaristic Assyria trope; their culture was sufficiently nuanced to support many potential builds, but above all a cultural/builder approach.

Top Bottom