Three unrelated gameplay questions

Lowfreq73

Chieftain
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum, and to the game. Even so, I have managed to progress form “Settler” to “Noble” pretty quickly (using mostly BTS)……….all because of the valuable information I was able to get out of reading the posts and guides while lurking. I was hooked on CIV REV initially, and it was like a gateway drug that drew me in. That being said, I do have a couple questions I could not find the answers too:

1. Aside from the difference in traits, starting techs, and UB/UU; I wanted to know if there is any difference in the production or research abilities of the different leaders and civilizations, e.g. if I played Asoka and Ghengis the same way (with all the variables being the same) would there be a research, culture, or production advantage for either?

2. I see a lot of posts on all the different leaders, but not too much on Napoleon…..I thought he would be a heck of a lot more popular due to being easy to identify, and I thought his traits might be good for large empire management, post conquest.

3. Most importantly, how do I explain my Civilization addiction to my wife?:p

1) For humans, besides the UU/UB and traits, there are no differences in production. For the A.I., they are programmed to act like their historical counterparts, so Genghis would focus more on warfare while Asoka would focus more on religion. Though, that really isn't a production bonus of any kind, just a production preference. So really, there are no production bonuses for different leaders.

2) idk why Napoleon isn't that popular, maybe because everyone aorund here just thinks he's an average leader. Nothing that extraordinary (mostly due to UU/UB problems of the French) though his traits are nice.

3) Flowers and a hallmark card could never hurt! :D

1 - Not really, traits, the map, and how you play will determine these differences. None of the traits give a specific bonus to production or research, BUT some civs produce cheaper settlers, or cheaper workers, due to traits, and these can have a long term impact on total production. Similarly, some produce cheaper forges, or cheaper granaries for whipping, which can impact total production. In my opinion, the land you have will give you the biggest difference in the capability of any civ.

2 - Don't really play as him, my experiences with him haven't been great, but I'm only a Noble level player too.

3 - You can't. Your only hope is to get her addicted, then, and only then, will she understand.

I can't help you on #3, as my wife doesn't understand it, but thankfully she accepts it.

On 1, I think you could get a lot of different perspectives, but my view is that because I play the leaders differently, I'd get very different overall results. There are no explicit bonuses to culture, prod or research, but for example, with the leaders you refer to, I would likely stay in the same civics a lot longer with Genghis to avoid anarchy. With Asoka and SPI, I would switch to Free Religion when teching, Org religion when needing to build things, and theocracy when pumping units for war. That's just one example. I think the most noticeable difference is between SPI leaders and non-SPI leaders.

On 2, Nappy is a tremendous warmongerer - one of my favorites. Beeline guilds and gunpowder, and flanking knights and musketeers are tremendous - it's the only civ with a UU at that point in the game that can keep up with knights, and they can have awesome promotions. Flanking knights plus drill musketeers are a great combination. All those cities you take, whip a courthouse for 2 pop and they're cheap additions to your empire. The only drawback is his UB, which is not all that helpful to me personally. It's ok, but not that significant to me. But he's a powerhouse for sure.

Thanks for all the detailed answers.

I finally did not start a Nappy game and was pretty satisfied until Hannibal decided he was going to eat my lunch! I think I had become too much of a menace.

Situation: Continents, standard, noble; me, Togo, and Zarob on one continent; Hannibal and Gilgamesh on the other. I made Togo my vassal in the early BC, but ended up in a long drawn out war with Zarob. After Hannibal and his vassal Gilgamesh dogpile Zarob during “MY” conquest (Hannibal managed to take one of his costal cities). I made Zarob my vassal and was trying to get my tech and economy recovered. During this time, Hannibal was teching like a mad man enjoying a peaceful era. Just as I’m starting to consolidate, Hannibal lands a sneak attack on one of my coastal cities with 20+ SAM infantry and 10 cannons, while I sit with my thumb inserted in a particular orifice. We WERE at pleased, but I believe Zarob becoming my vassal threw a wrench in our relationship.

Really my own fault for leaving tempting coastal cities too lightly defended! I believe I’m going to get served when I open up that saved game!
:crazyeye:

Well, you know, continents is one of the hardest maps due to being isolated with the other half of the world halfway through the game.

Anyways, Welcome to the Forums, Lowfreq73. :cheers:

Napoleon as a leader - well, he's not my cup o' tea because his Organized/Charismatic is not what I'd look for when I want to start a fight and that's what I want a Napoleon to do.

Well, you know, continents is one of the hardest maps due to being isolated with the other half of the world halfway through the game.

Anyways, Welcome to the Forums, Lowfreq73. :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome. Being on the continent gave me some time to do my dirty deeds…..

I thought it was a good exercise, as war is the weakest part of my game so far…I think most of the problem is I’m not aggressive enough, and I’m trying to balance that.

. The forums have made the game even more enjoyable. If not, I’d still be trying to build every building and every wonder in a total of four cities on SETTLER. Also, using the advanced start ( I usually just set the $ to lay down one city and a couple settlers) has been a boon, though it seems to lessen my chances for an early rush as the AI takes advantage and seems a little more entrnched.

My current plan is to switch down to a small, non-continent map, and attempt to win as every leader on Noble. I did manage a late space win with Asoka already………so just twenty some more to go!

I find that fractal is a good non-continents map. It can be random, rarely it's an archipelago, sometimes it is similar to continents, sometimes it's a pangaea, but the land and resource distribution tends to be good.

I agree though that if you want to practice warring, continents is a good map, because you know that some civs will be elsewhere, you can focus on a smaller number of civs in the early-mid game and practice warring with them. Practicing war on pangaea is difficult if you aren't experienced in it because you have to garrison a larger number of cities for defense and it's more possible for multiple civs to hit you from multiple directions.

Pangaea's a whole different game at times; you're often being invaded by everybody and his brother and you're wondering how come your game isn't like the AARs or the descriptions of other gamers because your priorities are different.

Pangaea's a whole different game at times; you're often being invaded by everybody and his brother and you're wondering how come your game isn't like the AARs or the descriptions of other gamers because your priorities are different.

I played a few games this weekend on “balanced” maps, which pretty much end up being like pangea. The majority of the time, I would end up being drug into wars, one way or the other, and there would always be one civilization (usually Willy or Gilgamesh) hiding in a corner and trying to coast to a cultural victory as I smite the rest of them.

Just from my observation, if I’m playing that style of map, I have to subdue all the other civs, or try to REX a lot of land early and play defense.

That said, the game seemed to ALWAYS pick Izzy or Charlamagne, which ensured an almost constant holy war; stubborn Toku, and one of the made REXers.

You can prove that the game does not “cheat,” but I still think it has a sense of humor! :lol:

Top Bottom