Tile improvements

I never farm deserts unless they have floodplains. the 2:food: isn't useful, the citizen that works it costs 2:food:.

I usually create 3 different kinds of cities:
Research cities. These cities should be very large because science is dependent on population. Farm every tile except jungles, build trading posts in jungles. If you have bananas, don't build a plantation, the extra science from it being a jungle (university) is worth more than the extra :food:.
Production cities. These cities can remain very small and focus on production. These are the kind of cities you want granaries and waterwheels in, because every extra citizen will mostly bring in extra :hammers:. Build lumbermills on forested hills and mines on clear hills. because the city remains small, there is no need to improve a lot of tiles and it doesn't have to be very far away from other cities. Sheep on hills are very good because they give production and food which makes the city grow so it can work another mine. Think of it this way: if the city has 0 food surplus and you can work on a mine, you get +4:hammers:. If you work a hill with sheep, it gets +2:food: and +2:hammers: so it can grow further and get another mine. It will take some turns for it to grow, but in the end +6:hammers: is better than +4:hammers:. If you have marble or iron in the radius... You have a wonder building marvel and barracks+armory and you're set for conquest!
Gold cities. Most cities will be gold cities... If you have a river, build some farms to make it grow a little and all other tiles should get trading posts. Trading posts in forests give it the little production it needs to build markets, banks and perhaps a few happy or culture buildings, but once they have the buildings they need... chop down the forests on flat grasslands so the city will grow a little more (netting you more money).

I've got a riverside hill with a gold recourse. If I farm that hill do I still get the resource?

thanks, was in a game waiting for the answer thanks for the quick response :)

In general the best strategy with resources is to build their default upgrade. Even if that extra Elephant doesn't give you any happiness, you can sell it for horsehockyloads fo cash. Typically 1 resource = 1 research agreement = 1 tech in 25 turns...

I've got a riverside hill with a gold recourse. If I farm that hill do I still get the resource?

I don't even think you can farm it. As far as I have seen, you can only build their specific improvement on resources. That's why I sometimes build manufacturies on sheep or deer and academies in wheat.

Top Bottom