"Tiled" Map Creator/Editor

I came across Tiled in December of 2019, according to the date on my Start menu shortcut. Its isometric support caught my eye. It looks somewhat promising for general map creation; firing it up and looking at the files I had open, I managed to get it working with some Civ3 PCX terrain files. Of course with Civ3's tiles being offset the way they are, it's not as convenient for map editing as Civ3ConquestsEdit - but as a general purpose tool, especially for games that don't have the Civ3 offset and don't have their own editors, it looks pretty useful.

I suspect that if we get to the point of enhancing terrain options, then at least in the moderate term it would be easier to enhance the map editing portion of my editor, which is already aware of nearly all the Civ3 map quirks (deltas remain unsolved). However, it's worth keeping Tiled around as an alternative, especially if we ever decide to do a more significant overhaul for "Terrain 2.0".

I came across Tiled in December of 2019, according to the date on my Start menu shortcut. Its isometric support caught my eye. It looks somewhat promising for general map creation; firing it up and looking at the files I had open, I managed to get it working with some Civ3 PCX terrain files. Of course with Civ3's tiles being offset the way they are, it's not as convenient for map editing as Civ3ConquestsEdit - but as a general purpose tool, especially for games that don't have the Civ3 offset and don't have their own editors, it looks pretty useful.

I suspect that if we get to the point of enhancing terrain options, then at least in the moderate term it would be easier to enhance the map editing portion of my editor, which is already aware of nearly all the Civ3 map quirks (deltas remain unsolved). However, it's worth keeping Tiled around as an alternative, especially if we ever decide to do a more significant overhaul for "Terrain 2.0".

"P.S." Do let me know if you'd like the one copy I purchased (I keep " :hammer: " away at this point because so much of my career demanded, and engendered, a great deal of respect for IP.)

Top Bottom