Time to get mobilized!

Do you utilize "Wartime" mobilization (under the domestic advisor)?

• Yes, frequently

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No. Never

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Sometimes/Rarely.

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
Here's the war academy article on mobilization.

Be sure to click the "discuss this article in forum" at the bottom of the article; a number of changes were made to mobilization in Conquests.

less effective in conquests since we no longer get the extra shield for artillery and i guess bombers. also in conquests if you start a peacetime build and then switch to mobilization it will auto-switch your build to a military build. vanilla didn't do that.

even so i use mobilization in most games. when you only have 20 turns till domination what exactly is the purpose of ANY new infrastructure? well, in a milking game it matters of course. it also makes a better looking empire. but if you are strictly going for the quickest possible end to the game i would say churn out the units under mobilization and get the thing overwith.

Here's the war academy article on mobilization.
Yeah, thanks, Othniel, I've now read that. It seems to make a huge difference indeed whether you're playing Vanilla or Conquests. Main difference that in Vanilla you could still finish everything you were building, while in Conquests everything gets auto-switched to military, meaning you lose lots of shields that you had invested in expensive projects. And you can't even build artillery, if I understand correctly.
So, like Rysingsun says, it depends on what type of game you're playing. If you're not going for conquest or domination, you would probably only use it in an emergency. But if you have the tech, and it serves your win condition, yeah, why not use it?
In Vanilla you should probably use it every time, it almost seems exploitative, so strong it was there.
So, mister Capnvonbaron, don't get too used to this, cos otherwise you won't like the switch to Conquests! ;)

I frequently use it. Don't forget that at its heart, Civilization is a war game, and there's little purpose in infrastructure once you have banks, universities, and factories in your cities. It's a very powerful tool for overrunning a neighbor or two.

EDIT: Apostrophe Nazi, I am.

Hmmm... diplomatic, space, and 20k victory conditions can get won without any war whatsoever (and take some impressive HoF times, though not necessarily the top spots). You need war for conquest and domination. One can win a histographic or 100k game at lower levels without any war (I suspect even up to and including Emperor), and only at higher levels do you need war to win. 3 victory conditions that don't require war, 2 do, and the other 2 come out as indeterminate. Nope... civ III at its heart isn't fundamentally a war game.

Just had the opportunity to use Mobilization. I'm just a bit ahead in Tech and got Tanks enabled. I Mobilized in peace time with a clear intent to declare war as soon as I had an adequate supply of Tanks. By the time the AI was generating Tanks I was half-way to my resource objective. Tanks and Infantry versus Cavalry and Infantry was sweet while it lasted.

Well, if you can play it as not a war game, it can't fundamentally be a war game.

So... um... who is going to tell the AI they can't have wars?:mischief:

:lol::lol::lol:

You need defensive strategies if you're going for a "peaceful" win. Even if you never attack anyone else, you need ways to protect yourself. War isn't necessary, but it's still the point of the game.

Darski said:
So... um... who is going to tell the AI they can't have wars?

Jokeslayer's statement doesn't imply that they can't.

Higher Game said:
War isn't necessary, but it's still the point of the game.

And "Wrestling is Real!" Seriously, I have a 1st place HoF finish where I never fired a single shot, and I think the second place game on that table also never fired a shot. I took second in a gauntlet without firing a single shot.

@ Doug... I saw your post before I signed in. they are normally not available to me.

So let me get this straight; you are telling us that not a single shot was fired by anyone in your game. You have the saves and can prove that not one single AI ever even snatched a worker from another Civ. yeah like I am going to believe that.

At first you were annoying with your foolish argumentation but now it is just pathetic. I will pray for you.

BTW, I still have you on ignore so I won't see your argument to this.

So let me get this straight; you are telling us that not a single shot was fired by anyone in your game.

No, he is telling us that he didn't fire a single shot. And I, for one, have absolutely no problem believing that, as I have played games like that myself. And if I am not entirely misunderstood, I have even had games with no war whatsoever, but I can't completely vouch for the ultra early phase.

Darski said:
So let me get this straight; you are telling us that not a single shot was fired by anyone in your game.

Let's see I said
Spoonwood said:
Seriously, I have a 1st place HoF finish where I never fired a single shot...
(notice no edit comment in post # 35). So, I never claimed no wars happened with anyone in that game (and I didn't mean that for the second place game either). If you ever read this Darski, interesting flame.

Top Bottom