Tinkering with difficulty

xalien

Prince
So I have this little problem - I kinda like the flexible difficulty option but I really don't like deity. Not because it's too hard, but because it turns the world into one big bloody (literally) mess and takes out all the fun from me.

My guess is that modyfing the way the flex difficulty works would require to mess up with dll which I'd prefer not to. I've found that CIV4HandicapInfo.xml seem to store game data for all the difficulties and it gave me an idea: what if I copy the data from one difficulty like immortal and paste it over the deity, would that give me the actual immortal difficulty when the game finally settles at deity?

that should work. although, i think that the difficulty information exists in all the places it is ineeded, not in one place that is referenced. Good luck.

that should work. although, i think that the difficulty information exists in all the places it is ineeded, not in one place that is referenced. Good luck.

3x = scheepsrecht. whatever that means in dutch or english, it seemed fitting to say here ;)
And about difficulty cap at immortal, let us know if that works out. I'd like to get rid of the oceans of deity blood as well but still have a challenge later on. Too Chicken to start at immortal, i admit..

Immortal = no fun anyway. You think you are doing fine this time and suddenly you realize you failed epicly again. Playing on immortal difficulty just doesnt fit my playstyle. I want to play to have fun and relax, not to "work", if I was that type I could start an MMORG and grind for hours every day.

Try playing Increasing Difficulty challenge instead of Flexible Difficulty. Start at a relatively low level (like Warlord or Prince) and watch the difficulty go up slowly to Diety. This game option is much more elegant and results in a better game experience IMHO. By the time the difficulty gets to Diety you should (hopefully) be ready with a good start.

No no, the reason I'm trying to do this is that I don't like what the game turns into when you get to deity. I don't like how everyone DoW on you and turn the rest of the game into one big neverending war. I like to relax and have some fun, like building an army of scouts in the AV/ToE city, pick those that got CoE for upgrading to assassins and beastmasters and delete the rest. Or try and see what can I do with flesh golems. Get AC to 100 just to see what happens. That sort of thing which is almost impossible to afford on deity.

I think you can just delete Deity difficulty - remove the its whole entry in the file. That'd be like copying over Immortal AND would cover any functions that work by simply counting up in difficulty. (IIRC they look at the total # of levels and cap themselves by that #.)

I just tried it by starting an Increasing Dif. game on Immortal - after turn 50 the difficulty didn't increase, nor did the game crash.

Another approach would be to remove only what you don't like about Deity. If it's the # of units, for example, lower "AITrainPercent" (or whatever the exact tag is.) to Immortal's figure.

Great, I'll try that. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure myself how I want it, gues I'll just have to try different combinations (like reducing DoW chance) till I hit the spot. I wouldn't mind them having a lot of units and being hard to invade, I just hate being buggered by neverending stream of units (even if I have no trouble killing them all for a lot of xp) and would like to have periods of peace and quiet once in a while.

I wonder if I'd change the WW from that ridiculous 30% to something more substantial, how would that change things :hmm:

Top Bottom