Tip for harder/more fun games

Spy_Lord

Chieftain
I'm a long time lurker on these forums. Back in G&K I usually played immortal, always on standard map size, and used to win about 80% of the time.

Now on BNW, for my first couple of games I rolled Emperor, standard map, and pretty much cruised through to culture and science victories with minimal effort. Feeling pretty secure, I stepped it up to Immortal but tweaked it be a large map - and not the default 10 civs + 20 city states, but 13 civs and 13 city states instead.

Holy hell. It turned out the be about as perfect as I could imagine. I got a map with 5 proper continents, not just 2 like in standard. I didn't just have 3 or 4 civs make it into the late stages of the game (typical of standard maps and which ends up making the late game a cakewalk since there's usually just 1 runaway who you can take out), but fully 10. I got no wonders built at all till Hubble, so I was miles behind on culture and only middling in science. A diplomatic victory was impossible even with all city states allied, especially with other civs having extra delegates from wonders.

After I got pipped to space in that game, I tried another with the same settings and put in a fair bit more effort to play as optimally as possible . . . and into industrial now, I'm still totally uncompetitive in science, culture or domination. I'm going to move down to Emperor next and see how it turns out.

What I'm suggesting is that if you want to up the challenge but without the cheese of stacked AI bonuses, you should definitely try a larger map with fewer city states and more AIs. For people who like me are always standard map players, it also feels a lot more epic. Some people might worry about performance but I didn't really feel like late game turns were that much worse than on standard. I know this isn't a groundbreaking suggestion but seeing so many threads complaining about difficulty I thought I'd throw it out there.

Forgot to add, the reason why this works especially well now is that in BNW late game actually involves a lot more decision making than before.

I've found that the AI tends to be a *lot* more aggressive when I play on maps with 0 city states... wonder if not donating gold to CS's means they've got more to spend on military units (and I wonder if they're intelligent enough to realize that no CS's = don't bother trying for a diplomatic victory)

Good spot, in general adding extra civs seems to make the game much more fun, even early game (I'm only on King at the minute, but even so there is enough conflict and challenge with the extra civs). I suspect this is since you see less expansion of most civs, so less need for war or conflict.

Can anyone correlate how map settings in terms of size, speed, number of civs/CS's actually affect gameplay? I like to finish in one sitting so I go quick speed, but I find domination to be near impossible with the limited number of turns. What are the trends for these settings?

I'm a long time lurker on these forums. Back in G&K I usually played immortal, always on standard map size, and used to win about 80% of the time.

Now on BNW, for my first couple of games I rolled Emperor, standard map, and pretty much cruised through to culture and science victories with minimal effort. Feeling pretty secure, I stepped it up to Immortal but tweaked it be a large map - and not the default 10 civs + 20 city states, but 13 civs and 13 city states instead.

Holy hell. It turned out the be about as perfect as I could imagine. I got a map with 5 proper continents, not just 2 like in standard. I didn't just have 3 or 4 civs make it into the late stages of the game (typical of standard maps and which ends up making the late game a cakewalk since there's usually just 1 runaway who you can take out), but fully 10. I got no wonders built at all till Hubble, so I was miles behind on culture and only middling in science. A diplomatic victory was impossible even with all city states allied, especially with other civs having extra delegates from wonders.

After I got pipped to space in that game, I tried another with the same settings and put in a fair bit more effort to play as optimally as possible . . . and into industrial now, I'm still totally uncompetitive in science, culture or domination. I'm going to move down to Emperor next and see how it turns out.

What I'm suggesting is that if you want to up the challenge but without the cheese of stacked AI bonuses, you should definitely try a larger map with fewer city states and more AIs. For people who like me are always standard map players, it also feels a lot more epic. Some people might worry about performance but I didn't really feel like late game turns were that much worse than on standard. I know this isn't a groundbreaking suggestion but seeing so many threads complaining about difficulty I thought I'd throw it out there.

This is a great idea, and in the game that I started yesterday it effectively eliminated the uninteresting AI bipolar disorder that causes everybody to get their underpants in a bunch every time you declare war. My game is on a large continents map with shallow ocean with 15 players and 15 city-states. I'm warmongering as Askia, and I've taken a city-state as well as almost all of Brazil. Portugal and Spain both signed DoF's with me earlier in game, and they're supporting me in my war efforts now; as soon as I DoWed Brazil, they both denounced Pedro. The friendship that the three of us are building feels more authentic.

And, even better, the civs that are neutral with both Brazil and I have remained neutral. In most games that I've played, every civ would be denouncing me by now, but it seems to me that with the settings that I've chosen, the AI is acting a lot more realistically.

Has anybody else tried this with success?

Yes. I've been playing all my games with something like a 50/50, or even 60/40 split of civs/city states while retaining the same overall number (so on standard i might play 12/12 instead of 8/16 or on large maybe 18/12 instead of 10/20).
It's also good if you want a bit more war from the AI throughout as the limited room for expansion creates tension. My games have been nothing but crackers, every one.
I love that there leant ever seem to be one runaway dominator AI any more too. Makes the late game much more interesting than previously.

Top Bottom