1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for avoiding a flip after capturing an enemy city.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by alcibaides, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Doesn't the ratio of "foreigners to natives" have an influence on assimilation as well?! I thought I read somewhere that foreigners can be assimilated only if that ratio is < 1. (Which means at least 51% if the citizens need to be of your nationality, before assimilation can begin.)
    But not sure, whether that's true. And I can't remember where I read it...

2. justanick

justanick King

In C3C assimilation happens even at 100% foreigners. That can be frustating if you want to recruit a slave but get a regular worker instead. So somehow higher rates of assimilation are a disadvatage.

3. del62

del62 Deity

Are you sure about this, if a worker is produced, it will be from you own citizens first, so it may be that the city/town grew on the turn which produced the worker, thus giving a native rather than foreign worker.

4. justanick

justanick King

I "suppressed" growth by using scientist or so. So i am pretty sure about this. And it also means that assimilation happens before production.

5. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Very interesting stuff. :goodjob:

Also yesterday I experienced the following in one of my own games (the Asterix game): I had captured a size 1 town from the Chinese, which was unable to grow, because the one citizen was so unhappy that I had to run a lone taxman in that town. (The Chinese apparently had used pop-rushing in that town, plus I was still at war with them, and I hadn't been able to connect that town to my road network for a long time. Those are the reasons why that single citizen was so unhappy...)

Every other turn I was checking that town to see, whether the unhappiness from pop-rushing had already worn off. (You can put the citizen back to work and then right-click on it, and it will tell you something like "40%: we can't forget your cruel oppression. 60%: stop the aggression against our country", which tells you how exactly the unhappiness is composed.)
    And during one of these checks I noticed, that the citizen had turned from Chinese to Celtic!

So it confirms that assimilation can happen at 100% foreigners, and also happiness does not seem to be a factor either.

6. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

You can rush culture even while resistors are present by disbanding units in the town. If you have plenty enough cavalry and producing plenty more each turn, just disband 3 of them for a temple or 4 for a library or 2 for a library if you're scientific. You can do this on the same turn the town was captured without having to quell the resistance first. Of course you should use obsolete units first if readily available. Disbanding returns only 25% of your original investment, so a 40 shield MI gives only ten shields to the city it disbands in. A 60 shield frigate gives 15, An 80 shield cavalry gives 20, and so on.

7. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

It doesn't matter if the unit is redlined to one hitpoint or at full strength you get the same number of shields when disbanding it.

8. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

This also holds true for using units to quell resistance. Their health is not a factor. At full strength or redlined, all that matters is that they have attack factors.

9. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

Or you could just park those Cavalry/outdated units outside the city and recapture it when if flips.

10. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

It's a whole lot simpler to disable flipping... :lazy