Tips From a Newbie

The question :
After years of Civ II,in 2016 I still don't understand,AI starts wonder,in few turns is ready,in a city with 4 shields production,no payment for wonder hurried,treasury is like treasury from previous turns.
Is a cheat like infinite nukes range,programming 'error' ?

Could it be that the AI actually uses caravans just like a human player to hurry wonder production?

In a random map Civ IV BTS Deity level played in 2015 I was curious to see bonuses of AI.Using a renaming of a folder to 'chipotle',I saw all map.In production no more problems,is like in Civ II,for a wonder with 600 hammers(shields) necesarry,AI have 475.But...with money can't cheat like in Civ II,taxes 10 %,treasury is increased every turn,and you if use taxes 10% can't keep buildings,sold,sold sold.More times AI in Civ IV have 0,1,2 gold per turn,because every city have maintenance,a city far away makes your treasury dust..But Civ II is Civ II,BTS is BTS,different games.
The question :
After years of Civ II,in 2016 I still don't understand,AI starts wonder,in few turns is ready,in a city with 4 shields production,no payment for wonder hurried,treasury is like treasury from previous turns.
Is a cheat like infinite nukes range,programming 'error' ?

Ha, ha! Hi, Catalin72 So you've finally realised that the AIs cheat. Well they have to do to keep up with you experts, re:
Catalin72 - "August 5, 2017, 11:49 - Civ II can't be the best TBS game with that very stupid AI,with suicidal attacks,one unit killing 5 units in a tile,and more..In Civ II the victory against that stupid AI is always sure.Civ IV,a game of the year has more problems with bad play of AI,Civ II is full.Is a funny game and that's all"

I agree with you about the easy AI howitzer targets, but a bigger failure is it's "ignorance" of the Tricks of Trade. Surely though, if we could add a couple of patches to fix these failures, wouldn't it become invincible? Similar to the big problems we face in our real worlds? By the way, thanks for the scenarios. I'll try them out this week and get back to you with any problems.
Since moving house, I've had big problems with my talk-talk accounts, and I'm still struggling with "Tricks of Trade" myself, so I appreciate how the AI feels.

Ha, ha! Hi, Catalin72 So you've finally realised that the AIs cheat. Well they have to do to keep up with you experts, re:
Catalin72 - "August 5, 2017, 11:49 - Civ II can't be the best TBS game with that very stupid AI,with suicidal attacks,one unit killing 5 units in a tile,and more..In Civ II the victory against that stupid AI is always sure.Civ IV,a game of the year has more problems with bad play of AI,Civ II is full.Is a funny game and that's all"

I agree with you about the easy AI howitzer targets, but a bigger failure is it's "ignorance" of the Tricks of Trade. Surely though, if we could add a couple of patches to fix these failures, wouldn't it become invincible? Similar to the big problems we face in our real worlds? By the way, thanks for the scenarios. I'll try them out this week and get back to you with any problems.
Since moving house, I've had big problems with my talk-talk accounts, and I'm still struggling with "Tricks of Trade" myself, so I appreciate how the AI feels.
Hi friend.How you saw my post in AGL;)? Yes,without tricks of trade AI is victim...

I still play my Mega-Missions to AC with all 21 tribes on board. I'm sure that I could do even better if I could really get to grips with the Tricks of Trade. I was looking for further help at AGL(?) and came across your post. Nice to see that you're enjoying Civ.2 despite your complaints. If the AI could master the Tricks of Trade then it could teach me. How about a "Tricks of Trade" scenario from you? :crazyeye:

Last edited:
Top Bottom