Tips on how to play as the Byzantine in this map?

forlornfire

Chieftain
I've modified the tiny earth map and tried to make the map as balanced as possible, giving each civ a monopoly on a certain good and enough space for them to settle at least 2 cities (Japan is the only one with a lack of space).

I tried to play it once but by the time I was in the early classical period I was so far behind everyone when it came to tech and policies (Japan was 10 techs ahead). The thing is, I follow the Vox Populi guide for the Byzantine and choosing Authorty really helped on other maps, but the lack of space in this one means fewer barbarians, specially close to me..

How should I proceed? Do I wait to have a religion before start conquering? (hero worship bonuses) Do I settle 3 cities? The idea is to invade and conquer Egypt in the classical era to get it going, but until then not sure what to do.

I'm playing epic, emperor, vox populi, no goody huts. I chose Goddess of Purity to take advantage of the lakes around Constantinople.

Map : https://imgur.com/a/XrIiLHU (I created the cities just so it's easier to visualize)

Thanks!

Highly non-standard map, definitely very little space. You've got very defensible land and tradition is great as Byzantines. You sure you need hero worship? Very slow belief, Theodora is slow enough.

I would move capital a little and capitilize on defensive and production high terrain. You can get both ceremonial worship and apostolic, and symbolism and just build you capital. Maybe statecraft and global commandments next for +30 yields in capital in rennaisance.

Purity is garbage, you don't need to hurt yourself with no :c5production:/:c5culture:/:c5science: pantheon just to found, especially as byzantium. you have low amount of lakes and why work them anyway, for lots of food without other good tiles? as authority or tradition especially you should avoid food and seek high production tiles

why egypt in classical? let him build wonders you don't ptioritize and kill him with cataphracts built after armories at the earliest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom