To the CFC C&C Community:

Sarevok

Civ3 Scenario Creator
Hi.

I'm getting tired of World of Warcraft. I'm thinking of coming back here, maybe.

Alas, chances are there are few who would even remember who I was, so I shall just assume that anyone who may end up reading this thread will be someone I never knew. It's been almost 4 years now I think since I made anything, and that was for Civ3. I don't have Civ4, but am considering my future options. Anyway...I got some questions.

In my time here, I was a scenario creator. I don't know anything about creating graphics or even actually making accurate maps. The only thing I was able to do was make some scenarios. When I was leaving this place for other games, I had heard... rumors the Civ4 Editor was going to require knowledge of C++ or other such programming knowledge, which I do not possess. So...

Is this true? Do I actually need programming knowledge to make good maps, or can I get away with simple intuition in figuring out a map editor?

Is this a game series I should try to get back into? Is Civ4 Actually *fun* still?

Which gamepack should I buy in regards to getting "up-to-date" with all the expansion packs/goodies that have come out?

Anyway, I know this is a bit of a long post and some rather dumb questions I could have learned the answer for with a little searching, but I still have to finish this term paper. Downloading the Demo right now to check out the gameplay a bit. It's been a long time...

Oh, and for any old friends still around, hello!

I look forward to any replies I may be able to get :)

- Sarevok

When I was leaving this place for other games, I had heard... rumors the Civ4 Editor was going to require knowledge of C++ or other such programming knowledge, which I do not possess. So...

Is this true? Do I actually need programming knowledge to make good maps, or can I get away with simple intuition in figuring out a map editor?

You don't need programming skills for maps.
Civ has a map-editor inside, the WorldBuilder.
c++-knowledge do you only need, if you want to make really big changes in the game-system.
For many other things (technologies for example) you need to understand .xmls, but that's not difficult.

Is this a game series I should try to get back into? Is Civ4 Actually *fun* still?

What part of civ wasn't *fun*?
I can still play civ2, and i like it.
Okay, the answer: Yes :).

Which gamepack should I buy in regards to getting "up-to-date" with all the expansion packs/goodies that have come out?

Civ4 has to addons: Warlords and Beyond The Sword, and the last you need.
BtS has all the features from Warlords (only some scenarios not, but they aren't important).
And the patch 3.17 for BtS.

Welcome back Sarevok. I played your scenarios in CIV III - they were alot of fun. I hope you take the time to play CIV IV and maybe even create a scenario.

When I was leaving this place for other games, I had heard... rumors the Civ4 Editor was going to require knowledge of C++ or other such programming knowledge, which I do not possess. So...

I have no programming skills whatsoever, but if you check below, you'll notice it hasn't stopped me from creating scenarios.;)

To answer your second question: I've been with Civ since it first came out, and if it wasn't fun I would not have started creating stuff for it.

Which versions should you get? For a scenario creator I'd say: get them all, if only to check out the official scenarios. (All 3 versions should be priced down by now.) For starters, as said, you just need Civ4 and BtS (which needs Civ4 to run).

If I may call you a fellow creator, I'd say: get back in here! We need more scenarios! (Especially since Lokolus stopped making 'em...)

Top Bottom