ToT Midgard Woes

It looks like you're trying to load a ToT scenario in the older MGE lol, you can't do that.
Maybe I misunderstood AyCe's explanation of how to edit the TOT's Midgard.scn file.
How do I edit that file to change the units and so on?

TOT (Test of Time) is a newer version of Civ2 than MGE (Multiplayer Gold Edition) -- it's an entirely different program. If you want to edit TOT's Midgard.scn file, you have to have the TOT version of Civ2 to do so -- it's not possible with only the MGE program. That seems to be the source of the error you're getting.

If you do have the Civ2: Test of Time program installed and that's what you're using, then perhaps it just needs to be patched to the latest version? You might need to post a few more details.

Well, the idea is to edit the names of the units and civilizations of the famous Midgard.scn file for its translation into Spanish.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/project-civ-2-tot-translation-to-spanish.676570/

Apparently, to fix the bug in this scenario, the Events.txt and Midgard.scn file had to be modified, which, in turn, to translate everything, the famous Midgard.scn file must also be edited.
This is a summary of what I have understood that I should do but you can read the conversation on this subject in this same thread

Although I have more and more doubts about what I have to do to translate this scenario.
Exactly what is the Midgard.scn file and what is it for?

Last edited:
Sorry, when I said "Civ2" I meant ToT Civ2, as Midgard is a ToT scenario. The .scn file is simply the scenario file itself, with the terrain, the civs, cities and so on. In Civ2 names of civs and cities are hardcoded into the savegame/scenario file once you start a new game. So even though the civ names are also present in the rules or names files, they must be changed manually in the .scn file too.

So you cannot do that if you do not have access to ToT.

If you mind, we can follow the topic in my thread so we don't litter this one with different topics.

Hi all. I've recently started playing this again as I remembered playing as a kid and not getting very far. So far I've attempted to play the scenario as many as 7 times and so far I've not gotten any further than the date: Idun 15 before Volsang wins the game. No warm-up... no warnings... nothing... just Volsang awakens. You lose. I've installed multiple patches listed on: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/test-of-times-midgard.151248/ and other pages online but nothing has worked. What is going wrong?

Midgard is viciously hard, or so I always found it. I never did manage to finish it, opting instead for the Fantasy version of the game where it doesn't actually take a tile-by-tile search for the one place where you can get from the surface world to the underwater world.

Hi all. I've recently started playing this again as I remembered playing as a kid and not getting very far. So far I've attempted to play the scenario as many as 7 times and so far I've not gotten any further than the date: Idun 15 before Volsang wins the game. No warm-up... no warnings... nothing... just Volsang awakens. You lose. I've installed multiple patches listed on: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/test-of-times-midgard.151248/ and other pages online but nothing has worked. What is going wrong?
Welcome! :) Good to see people still playing this delicate but awesome ToT scenario!

Hmm multiple patches? I'm only aware of the Catfish quest fix patch (which I mention in the other thread you link to), there's others out there for Midgard?

Hmm the game starts in year 10 and each turn is a month of that year, so Indun 15 is 5 years into the game, which is a decent way in meaning by then you should have completed a few quests and done a fair few things (good or bad) which probably changes some of the flags leading to Volsang events. I checked my old saves and my own massive game ended on year 30 (meaning I played for 20 years).

"Volsang awakens" isn't bringing anything up in the events.txt file but I'm guessing this one below is the message you're referring to? If not you'll need to be more specific and fully quote the message you're getting as there's a gazillion Volsang messages in that file lol.

Code:
; Volsang's Final Victory

@IF
RECEIVEDTECHNOLOGY
receiver=Humans
technology=63
@THEN
JUSTONCE
DELAY
randomize
delay=70
TEXT
You are too late! Volsang finally breaks free and enslaves Midgard with his powerful magic. Not even the
Gods can help you now. YOU HAVE LOST THE GAME!
ENDTEXT
PLAYAVIFILE
Scene9.avi
ENDGAME
endscreens=yes
@ENDIF

If this is the one you got then it seems it can only happen if the humans get a certain technology, number 63. Are you playing as humans or another race? Counting down the tech list in rules.txt to 63 puts me on 'Stonecutting' which is nothing lol, unless tech slot count starts from 0 instead of 1 which then means its 'Volsang's Release' which makes more sense lol. That tech has no prerequisites and cannot be researched so it can only be granted by an event. There appears to be only 1 event that grants tech 63 and that's this one..

Code:
;corruption round 6

@IF
CHECKFLAG
WHO=EVERYBODY
mask=0x00F80000
count=5
state=on
@THEN  
JUSTONCE
DELAYPERFLAG
randomize
basedelay=50
perflagdelay=20
mask=0x000003FF
TEXT
A great clap of thunder announces the imminent release of Volsang.
The next magical rumbling will, likely, be sufficient to free Volsang
to corrupt Midgard completely. Time has almost run out.
ENDTEXT
CHANGETERRAIN
terraintype=9
map=0
exceptionmask=0x0620
maprect
PLAYAVIFILE
Scene9b.avi
GIVETECHNOLOGY
technology=63
receiver=humans
@ENDIF

So if you say you had no warnings then does that mean you never saw this message? If not then that is a mystery to me! It's corruption round 6 means there's 5 other corruption rounds before warning of Volsang coming. So if you didn't get this message then I can't think of another way for you to gain this blocked out end game technology without having a broken events file or in-game cheating and accidentally gifting it to yourself it lol! As normally it's locked out from any race researching it and there doesn't seem to be any other events that grant it other than this one. Maybe someone else here can think of a way?

Last edited:
Top Bottom