1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[TOT] ToT Question

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by Gary Childress, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM.

1. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

What is the maximum number of unit types you can put in a Civ II ToT scenario? Also I have heard that ToT can use animated units, can you still use original, unanimated Civ II units in ToT?

Thanks.

2. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

1). In TOTPP: a maximum of 127 units (in the original TOT game, a maximum of 80 units).
    2). If you mean the "original CivII" MGE - then the transfer of the original units is possible, but with some problems (you will have to process them in paint). If you are interested in the original non-animated TOT units, then transferring them to the scenario is possible simply by “copied” - “pasted” in the “UNITS” file.

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Gary, nearly all Civ 2 ToT scenarios use unanimated units. For Civ 2 ToT you can find tons of static WWII units here and tons of static modern units in this thread. There exist some other Civ 2 ToT unit threads, covering all other themes, from SciFi to Fantasy.

Animated units in Civ 2 ToT suffer from the problem, that Firaxis had forgotten to add the defense animations to the units. Per example with ToT you can create an animated swordsman that beats on his enemy like a berserk, but the attacked enemy only stands staticly in his tile and shows no animation for the defense. The battle ends with one of both showing a death animation.

On the other side, when using only the static 24 bit bmp graphics for units, Firaxis in Civ 2 ToT even disabled the primitive combat graphics that were available in earlier versions of Civ 2, what resulted in the fact, that in nearly all the years since the release of Civ 2 ToT the scenarios had no combat animations at all. It was TheNamelessOne and his wonderful project TOTPP, who managed at least to restore the simple combat animations from earlier versions of Civ 2 for Civ 2 ToT and to add a cornucopia of new options for modding Civ 2 ToT.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 3:03 AM
  4. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Hi Gary -

The others have answered your ToT questions but I'm just curious if you're considering building a scenario of your own? If so, I'm happy to help you knock off some rust from your "sabbatical" :)

You should definitely check out the scenarios that released in 2018 and bookmark the Scenario League wiki if you haven't already: http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Of the four scenarios released last year, 3/4 feature Lua. @techumseh 's excellent Operation Seelowe is a "traditional" scenario but probably about the pinnacle of what one can do with them. It is absolutely excellent and you should check it out, especially if you like WW2 scenarios.

As for Over the Reich - Prof. Garfield and I have been making massive modifications to it and plan to release the new version hopefully this month. You can still download the old version and poke around, but the new one has major changes. It is multiplayer only but if you can find someone to play it with you I think you'd enjoy it. In any event, it is must-viewing for anyone who wants to know just how powerful lua events are.

Here's a link to my YouTube channel that has a number of videos showing off what is achievable with lua programming (as opposed to the base game's macro.txt events).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1B0Bz7nMOXGsNHpWACzT_A?view_as=subscriber

One thing I would caution you on:

When you get the game in the mail, before you install ToTPP, make a copy of the ToT folder and preserve one as a "base game" and the other for ToTPP as some people have reported some issues with playing older scenarios on the new ToTPP platform.